Widgets Magazine
Page 118 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1868113114115116117118119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3501

Thread: OG&E Tower

Default Re: Stage Center Tower

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    We need to stop holding OKC responsible for the condition of our highway system and stop pretending that Dallas on their own drives their freeway system. These are federally funded and maintained highways. The expansive freeway system in Dallas by design is out of necessity. The DFW metroplex population has exploded over the last 25 years, and the construction we've seen in the last decade is a reaction to that growth and a remediation for projected growth at the same rate. We easily forget that the transportation network in DFW is high volume, and not only moves a lot of passengers daily but high volumes of heavy freight as well that forces the infrastructure to take a beating around the clock. The aesthetics of the freeway system in Dallas is very nice, but this is something Oklahoma has not ignored in recent highway construction projects.

Meanwhile in Oklahoma City, which is a different animal than Dallas altogether and by no means should be compared, deals with steady growth. Oklahoma City's challenge is aging infrastructure that moves a steadily increasing volume of traffic and freight. Yes, OKC has outgrown its current freeway system but we can't act like it isn't being addressed. But again, out of necessity, a high-five interchange is not a need in Oklahoma City, it's a want. We shouldn't be building massive interchanges that belong in metro areas of 5 million+ designed to handle 250,000 or more vehicles a day. Oklahoma City can and is planning to construct the same type of interchanges but on a scale that fits the needs of a metro area that won't reach 2 million people until 2030 unless there is a drastic shift in growth patterns, something you can't sell to the U.S. department of transportation.

By 2030, it is likely that DFW will be in the neighborhood of 10 million people and city leaders there are being forced to plan and build accordingly. That alone does not make Dallas superior to OKC or is any more forward-thinking than we are. They have their own problems to deal with and solve. That's just the reality.
    This is very spot on. Agree 100%

2. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

Stage Center could have doubled as a zombie fortress.

Catholic church in Switzerland.

3. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

The real Stage Center tower...?

33 Thomas Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

Or perhaps something from Judge Dredd?

Is the thread over with or is it that there is nothing coming out about the demolition and when? Steve, is there anything new you have heard about the project?

6. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

Live chat

Comment From Gary T
    Good morning Steve and as usual, happy friday to you. What does the denial of the appeal mean for the timeline of Stage Center? When will we see demo start, more concrete plans/floorplans/groundbreaking, etc.

Steve Lackmeyer: We won't hear any schedule on demolition until after the annual spring Festival of the Arts next month. We will then hear about demolition plans, and also likely hear about selection of an architect. I don't expect we will see renderings showing the final design until late this year or sometime in 2015.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Granite+Park+Three.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	6981

I like this kind of landscaping around a building - hopefully something like this in the cards for Stage Center building. Lighting nice too. Apparently NTT Data building a new place at 121 & ND Tollway down here. Looked to be similar to the proposed Stage Center Tower in a general sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mburlison View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Granite+Park+Three.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	6981

I like this kind of landscaping around a building - hopefully something like this in the cards for Stage Center building. Lighting nice too. Apparently NTT Data building a new place at 121 & ND Tollway down here. Looked to be similar to the proposed Stage Center Tower in a general sense.
    The landscaping is similar to Devon's headquarters. Is is Pickard-Chilton?

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    The landscaping is similar to Devon's headquarters. Is is Pickard-Chilton?
    NTT Data doubling the size of its U.S. headquarters in Plano | Dallas Morning News The article didn't say who the Architects were, unless I missed it (quite possible!) : ).

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    So, is this development still a few years away from becoming a reality? If so, I chalk it up as the norm for OKC. Not to be negative but just speaking the truth. Once again it is another rendering that proposes a project that is several years from even getting started and it's not even an impressive rendering at that for such a great location. This location needs something to balance out and compliment our skyline, not some mediocre building that won't get started for years to come. I don't have much faith anymore in the Convention Center and Hotel, the Boulevard, Park or Light Rail ever truly happening in our life time. They all seem to be sooo far off that by the time they originally planned on doing them the cost will have increased so much more that excuses will be made as to why it can't be done.

I wish OKC could be more like other cities and just get stuff done instead of being stuck in our usual "average" mentality and excuse mode of why things can't be done. If OKC ever wants to be great, it is time they start NOW doing great things, building and designing great things, and become a destination of sorts for people to want to come here. By piling up projects that are supposed to happen in 5 to 15 years from now, it almost becomes comical. The cost of doing something in 10 years will be so much greater than it would now and that doesn't even count lost revenue and money the city would be making from people spending their money here. I've lost faith in our leadership and who is running the show now days and I have always been a big Mick fan but this goes beyond him. OKC is just like the our state motto- OK but nothing great and despite how much I dream of it being great, reality is that it just isn't going to happen with the decisions being made by those in charge.
    Seriously? Are you bumping every single project you have any doubt about? Pete, can you delete these?

Warren, you seriously want something deleted because I stated an opinion that you don't like? I actually have stated before that OKC has made huge strides. I brag about that to people all the time. I was at the NCAA wrestling tournament this past weekend and people from all over the country were in town. It has a 15 million dollar impact on the economy in 3 days compared to 9 million for St. Louis when they hosted men's basketball, so I am just giving you figures as to how big the event was.

I was hoping OKC would shine and people would be impressed with our city but just the opposite happened. I heard how stagnant and gloomy the place seemed, how such a great wrestling state could be sooo unprepared for such and event. Restaurants all over the city, even Bricktown didn't even know the even was going on until thousands go in to the restaurants they are so understaffed. At other cities that host it, all over the city are signs saying "welcome wrestling fans" and I never saw one sign anywhere I went. It was 6 sessions for 2 days and 18,000 fans per session so it is a big deal. Anyway, back to the topic of people saying our airport was tiny, is this really a major league city, our city looked dingy, etc.

Sorry, but I took it personal and yes, I have been around. I think it is YOU that hasn't been around to other places like Fort Worth and a hand full of other cities who do get things done. I think OKC has done some very good things to not be such a depressing place but it is still very, very average. I think the image of having the Thunder here has done more for morale and giving the city more exposure in a positive way. OKC needs to do more and bigger projects NOW, not years from now on certain things. I don't know why more people just don't understand that "perception can be reality" when it comes to things like this. Those people with negative perceptions of our city may not change now because they didn't see anything that wowed them. They focused on the negative and that is what I want to shake. I wish they could've seen things that left them with glowing impressions of our city. Heck, I went to the Memorial on Sunday and it was probably the biggest draw for all the people in for the wrestling tournament. Did not see a single "Welcome Wrestling Fans" or anything that even remotely cared they were there. That really disappointed me. If any of you think I am negative in my posts I am sorry. I just don't accept being mediocre and truly care and want OKC to be great while I think many of you are content on little changes here and there and more accepting of what is going on and haven't been to many other places to see how we could be and simply are not because of our actions. OKC is 1 or 2 in the nation in unemployment for larger cities and this IS IS IS the time you make hay when the sun shines. Their is no excuse as to why this city should not be BOOMING other than the decisions that are made. Our governor should be out recruiting the nation about our economy and bringing in companies to this state like Gov. Rick Perry does for Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Seriously? Are you bumping every single project you have any doubt about? Pete, can you delete these?
    This guy is either an idiot or a troll. He has no clue what he is talking about and has nothing good to say about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    Warren, you seriously want something deleted because I stated an opinion that you don't like? I actually have stated before that OKC has made huge strides. I brag about that to people all the time. I was at the NCAA wrestling tournament this past weekend and people from all over the country were in town. It has a 15 million dollar impact on the economy in 3 days compared to 9 million for St. Louis when they hosted men's basketball, so I am just giving you figures as to how big the event was.

I was hoping OKC would shine and people would be impressed with our city but just the opposite happened. I heard how stagnant and gloomy the place seemed, how such a great wrestling state could be sooo unprepared for such and event. Restaurants all over the city, even Bricktown didn't even know the even was going on until thousands go in to the restaurants they are so understaffed. At other cities that host it, all over the city are signs saying "welcome wrestling fans" and I never saw one sign anywhere I went. It was 6 sessions for 2 days and 18,000 fans per session so it is a big deal. Anyway, back to the topic of people saying our airport was tiny, is this really a major league city, our city looked dingy, etc.

Sorry, but I took it personal and yes, I have been around. I think it is YOU that hasn't been around to other places like Fort Worth and a hand full of other cities who do get things done. I think OKC has done some very good things to not be such a depressing place but it is still very, very average. I think the image of having the Thunder here has done more for morale and giving the city more exposure in a positive way. OKC needs to do more and bigger projects NOW, not years from now on certain things. I don't know why more people just don't understand that "perception can be reality" when it comes to things like this. Those people with negative perceptions of our city may not change now because they didn't see anything that wowed them. They focused on the negative and that is what I want to shake. I wish they could've seen things that left them with glowing impressions of our city. Heck, I went to the Memorial on Sunday and it was probably the biggest draw for all the people in for the wrestling tournament. Did not see a single "Welcome Wrestling Fans" or anything that even remotely cared they were there. That really disappointed me. If any of you think I am negative in my posts I am sorry. I just don't accept being mediocre and truly care and want OKC to be great while I think many of you are content on little changes here and there and more accepting of what is going on and haven't been to many other places to see how we could be and simply are not because of our actions. OKC is 1 or 2 in the nation in unemployment for larger cities and this IS IS IS the time you make hay when the sun shines. Their is no excuse as to why this city should not be BOOMING other than the decisions that are made. Our governor should be out recruiting the nation about our economy and bringing in companies to this state like Gov. Rick Perry does for Texas.
    It's not that I don't like the opinion, it's that you are posting the same thing over and over on five or six different threads. Why not just post one thing on one thread and everyone can reply to that? All the repeated posts were deleted by Pete anyway and if you keep doing it, these same copy and paste things are going to be deleted as well. You are just wasting your own time as well as the readers.

14. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

Soondoc, what makes you think the Convention Center and Hotel, the Boulevard, Park or Light Rail will not ever truly happening in our life time? All of the original MAPS projects were developed. MAPS for Kids is complete, and the arena upgrades were done. MAPS has always been a pay as you go program to keep the city from going into debt. I am not sure why you believe things in other cities "just get done". During my tenure in Houston, I learned this is the exact opposite. Everything happening in Houston NOW was planned several years ago or even years ago.

Our governor has been out recruiting the nation like Rick Perry does for Texas. Although I do not agree with her policies or approach to politics, she does recruit. But Oklahoma is a harder sell than Texas. OKC can be a booming metropolis and it will still take more effort to sell Oklahoma to outsiders. That's just how this country works.

It sounds like the event just wasn't well planned. And that is something that can be fixed. If the wring people are in place planning these events, fire them and bring in people who will.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

nm

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This guy is either an idiot or a troll. He has no clue what he is talking about and has nothing good to say about anything.
    Perhaps both?

18. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why are you ruling out that he is both?

As for the wrestling tournament, The Oklahoman had a story that was just the opposite of what Mr. Brightside observed.

NewsOK ? OKC a hit with wrestling fans

He and bchris are two peas in a pod.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Soondoc speaks the truth.

I have been holding off but I am going to say it now. Having lived in a truly big league city, OKC simply does not match up. This city may be vibrant and happening compared to itself in 1991 and places like Amarillo but it really could and should be much, much better. OKC does shine compared to its past, but we aren't competing with our past. We are competing with places like Austin, Ft Worth, Charlotte, Nashville, etc for jobs and college grads. If I didn't have any previous ties and had a choice, why should I live in OKC over the aforementioned places? I've tried and can't think of a single reason.

OKC is not booming because of the national perception that it is boring, unsafe because of severe weather, and in general not a good place to live. That perception is exaggerated and becoming more out of date each year but is not completely unfounded. If it really was just a stereotype, there wouldn't be so many visitors leaving with that perception confirmed.

Perception is reality and if OKC wants to become the city many here envision, perception needs to change. How do we do that? By not settling for average and mediocrity. By demanding truly big league and not settling for simply better than 1990s OKC.
    WHAT A SHOCKER!

Seriously, talk about an instant gratification complex. Multi-million dollar projects aren't announced and completed within two months of a conceptual rendering being shown to the public. Step away from the computer and go enjoy the real world for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Why are you ruling out that he is both?

As for the wrestling tournament, The Oklahoman had a story that was just the opposite of what Mr. Brightside observed.

NewsOK ? OKC a hit with wrestling fans
    Negativity breeds negativity. If you are waiting around for a table at a packed restaurant and you are complaining about how unprepared they are...others will follow suit. If you spend the time talking about all the wonderful stuff OKC is doing and giving tips of must sees...then people will be positive and have a positive outlook of OKC. I do not see how anyone can walk through the Peake and walk through Bricktown on a weekend and think it is gloomy and dingy

True. It can be fixed. However, that doesn't change that so many people left OKC, in 2014, with their 1991 era stereotype/perception of this city confirmed. There is no excuse for that.
    The only people that are leaving OKC with a 1991 stereotype of it are in your head. Every article that has been written about OKC by outsiders the last several years has been nothing but positive. You can continue to believe that you are living in the Kingdom of Satan, but at least quit posting about it every other day.

I have been holding off but I am going to say it now. Having lived in a truly big league city, OKC simply does not match up. This city may be vibrant and happening compared to itself in 1991 and places like Amarillo but it really could and should be much, much better. OKC does shine compared to its past, but we aren't competing with our past. We are competing with places like Austin, Ft Worth, Charlotte, Nashville, etc for jobs and college grads. If I didn't have any previous ties and had a choice, why should I live in OKC over the aforementioned places? I've tried and can't think of a single reason.

OKC is not booming because of the national perception that it is boring, unsafe because of severe weather, and in general not a good place to live. That perception is exaggerated and becoming more out of date each year but is not completely unfounded. If it really was just a stereotype, there wouldn't be so many visitors leaving with that perception confirmed.

Perception is reality and if OKC wants to become the city many here envision, perception needs to change. How do we do that? By not settling for average and mediocrity. By demanding truly big league and not settling for simply better than 1990s OKC.
    The more you post the more it seems like you just have no friends or life in OKC and/or don't know where or how to have a good time here. You're bitterness towards OKC is unfathomable and I hope you swiftly find an options out of the "hell hole" you make Oklahoma City out to be.

As for reason to live here over those places you've mentioned (over and over and over again) would be affordability, interstate convenience/lack of traffic, a strong and steady job market, and last but certainly not least the Oklahoma Spirit, (which you clearly lack).

You officially lose all credibility in my books. As if anyone took you very seriously to begin with with all the nonsense you blabber on about OKC not being good enough. OKC can improve, but it's nowhere near the backwards black hole that you make it out to be. The ignore button is a very worthwhile feature when it comes to simple minded transplants like yourself that want to compare OKC to every other larger city in the U.S. and claim that's why OKC is still living in the 90's. I know you know about OKC's past and you make sure to say it's nothing like it was in the 90's, but you still seem to think that we're just supposed to leap 30 years into the future in spite of our slow start. I remember you complaining about Charlotte before you moved to OKC and right after you moved to OKC and the death trap that you made it out to be, so I don't think it's OKC you want to complain about. I think it's just what you do. The ironic thing is that you used to steer away from the positives on Charlotte and now you're advocating OKC to become more like Charlotte.

You can live in all the big and/or booming cities that you want, but quit comparing OKC to those cities because it's known by everyone on this board that OKC isn't quite booming population wise and it definitely isn't a big city (Dallas, Atlanta, etc.). If you think OKC is so backwoods because it's not Charlotte or Atlanta, then you should've stayed in those cities. I personally like what's going on in OKC, but I'm so fed up with reading your beyond negative opinion on everything that happens in OKC. There are those few times that you give props about something happening in OKC and I thank God for those posts because they are few and far between. The rest of the time it's posts about Tulsa gets everything first because OKC is viewed so negatively and Tulsa is just a better city to be in or OKC's grocery shopping sucks because Wal-Mart has a death grip on the market, which I don't really disagree with, and OKC not being ready for Costco or residential high-rise's, etc., and then of course the fateful comparisons to Charlotte, Austin, Nashville, etc. to further try and prove that OKC is small time. Just quit it already; other posters would like you a little bit more and wouldn't mock you all the time if you'd quit being that outside voice that's trying to convince everyone that OKC isn't as great as it's made out to be. We know we've got a ways to go but we also can see how far we've come; your lowly stance on OKC isn't changing our minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Negativity breeds negativity. If you are waiting around for a table at a packed restaurant and you are complaining about how unprepared they are...others will follow suit. If you spend the time talking about all the wonderful stuff OKC is doing and giving tips of must sees...then people will be positive and have a positive outlook of OKC. I do not see how anyone can walk through the Peake and walk through Bricktown on a weekend and think it is gloomy and dingy
    No doubt. I was at the NCAA Wrestling Championships and sat by two Minnesota fans that were raving about OKC. They had been to two previous championships in St. Louis and said that OKC was far superior in regards to convenience and things to do downtown.

Thread Information