Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 141 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560110 ... LastLast

Thread: OG&E Tower

Default Re: Stage Center Tower

I think we should be starting an "OKC <3 Enogex" campaign..

What'a funny about all of this, and has gone completely unreported locally, is that Centerpoint Energy is a LOT bigger than Enogex.

Preservanists make me sick, they do nothing when a building sits there for years dilapidated and neglected and say and do nothing, and a soon as somebody wants to demolish it to make way for a new development they cry, whatever!

I got my people confused. Rainey Williams is undoubtedly the grandson of G.Rainey Williams, chairman of the surgery department at OUHSC back in the day. One of his grandsons of the same name went to Casady with my son, who is 23, which is how I got confused. Surely this is an uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I think we should be starting an "OKC <3 Enogex" campaign..

What'a funny about all of this, and has gone completely unreported locally, is that Centerpoint Energy is a LOT bigger than Enogex.
    I don't think people really understand the new company. I keep seeing people think that Centerpoint and Enogex are merging. That's actually humorous as Centerpoint is a HUGE Fortune 500 company. The new company has nothing to do with Centerpoint itself, as it has nothing to do with OG&E itself. Enogex (an OG&E company) will be part a new MLP with a new division of Centerpoint Energy.

All people are thinking about is the tower, which I understand, but they have the actual business entities all confused.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Preservanists make me sick, they do nothing when a building sits there for years dilapidated and neglected and say and do nothing, and a soon as somebody wants to demolish it to make way for a new development they cry, whatever!
    You don't seem to know much what preservationists do then.

For the record, I called this site for the next big development site years ago:

Stage Center - OKCTalk

8. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

I guess I'm one of the few who don't subscribe to the JR.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I got my people confused. Rainey Williams is undoubtedly the grandson of G.Rainey Williams, chairman of the surgery department at OUHSC back in the day. One of his grandsons of the same name went to Casady with my son, who is 23, which is how I got confused. Surely this is an uncle.
    I believe Pete stated that this Rainey Williams graduated from Casady in 1978, would make him in his 50's.

10. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few who don't subscribe to the JR.
    Pretty sure that you're one of the many.

Actually there have been multiple people who have tried very hard over the years to save the Stage Center. They weren't lucky enough to obtain the city's help or that of someone with deep pockets.

I second Lisa Chronister's thoughts in post #228. We really need to see to it Stage Center isn't merely demolished. Its components would make a terrific homage to modern design as a collective in a city park like the Central Park or as suggested in the story, as separate pieces. Ideally, the new tower or even neighboring Rex Elementary could even incorporate sections into their building or landscape designs. It's better than this tremendous concept being reduced to refuse.
    Last edited by ErnestA; 07-26-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: word correction

13. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

<deleted>

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Rainey's dad was G. Rainey Williams, MD, and the OU Physicians building at OUMC is named for him. Rainey's mom is Martha Vose Williams, sister of Chuck Vose, Jr., daughter of Chuck, Sr.
    DOCTOR Rainey Williams and DEVELOPER Rainey Williams are father and son, not grandfather and grandson.

And to the poster from earlier tonight, it's Mr. WILLIAMS, not Mr. RAINEY. I stopped reading your post when it became apparent you didn't even know the developer's name.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I think what Boulder means is that though most of the demolishion for the Pei Plan took place, most of what was promised in its place was never built. It ended up being a lose-lose situation and is largely responsible for many of OKC's lingering image problems today.
    NYC urban development methods don't seem to work when cheap prairie land is ripe for development at a fraction of the cost. The assumption the Pei Plan was working under was that development pace would be the same, one of the problems of hiring consultants who don't understand the development environment they are working in. Kind of like having the landscape design for an airport in New Orleans done by a landscape architect on the Western Slope......

Much effort has been made to save it but none of the attempts were viable. I hate to see it go but am pretty much at the point that it was inevitable that the property was going to be redeveloped.

16. Default Re: Stage Center Tower

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    That would be his son, by the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I don't think people really understand the new company. I keep seeing people think that Centerpoint and Enogex are merging. That's actually humorous as Centerpoint is a HUGE Fortune 500 company. The new company has nothing to do with Centerpoint itself, as it has nothing to do with OG&E itself. Enogex (an OG&E company) will be part a new MLP with a new division of Centerpoint Energy.

All people are thinking about is the tower, which I understand, but they have the actual business entities all confused.
    Centerpoint Energy already has a midstream division, same as Enogex is for OG&E... our family sells NG from a couple of wells to them out in Caddo and Custer counties. Happens we also sell to Enogex from a Canadian county well. It's a good fit for the two.

Question is, will they allow it to be demolished?

The outcry to save the Stage Center is tremendous. My question is why wasn't there such an effort before possible demolition was announced? I can definitely see the perspective of the preservationists. In the 1970s, I am sure they thought Criterion Theater was outdated and an eyesore but today most OKCitians wish it was still standing and if it was here today, it would likely be one of the city's greatest assets. It needs to be evaluated if the Stage Center is the same kind of structure and what should be done with it. Why wouldn't it be possible to instead of demolish it, dismantle it?

I've always wondered, if it could be saved, why the Stage Center couldn't become the live music venue OKC has been needing.

Thread Information