Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9K to 14K seat soccer stadium coming?

Default Re: 9K to 14K seat soccer stadium coming?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I'd love to see something like this as part of MAPS IV:
    Attachment 4236

OKC MLS team and Barons taken care of for a long time (and would permit the entire Cox CC/Myriad Arena to be redeveloped).
    I really like this idea a lot. In my myopic opinion, I'd like to see the Cox CC/Myriad continue as long as there's hockey, but that's impractical and unsound financially. I'm ready to embrace the suck and let the Myriad go as long as we generate something suitable to replace it with for hockey.
    (that egocentric opinion I just stated reminded me of Steve Martin in the original Muppet Movie after Kermit tells him he may pour the wine: "Oh, May I?")

Blog Entries

What price tag are we talking about? This complex could eclipse $500 - $600 million...

I'd love to see something like this as part of MAPS IV:
    Attachment 4236

OKC MLS team and Barons taken care of for a long time (and would permit the entire Cox CC/Myriad Arena to be redeveloped).
    That would be one awesome stadium. Do you have a location in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    That would be one awesome stadium. Do you have a location in mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    What price tag are we talking about? This complex could eclipse $500 - $600 million...
    No doubt it would be more expensive than a 20,000 seat soccer only stadium. But the tradeoff is the entire Cox CC block could then be redeveloped.

I think the Coop site would work for a facility this large. Fairgrounds, Airpark, and Pull A Part might work too, but I like Coop best.

No doubt it would be more expensive than a 20,000 seat soccer only stadium. But the tradeoff is the entire Cox CC block could then be redeveloped.

I think the Coop site would work for a facility this large. Fairgrounds, Airpark, and Pull A Part might work too, but I like Coop best.
    Who owns the land where the Cox CC sits? I wonder what it would cost to develop this at the Co-Op site if you factor in the sale of the Cox CC land.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Who owns the land where the Cox CC sits? I wonder what it would cost to develop this at the Co-Op site if you factor in the sale of the Cox CC land.
    the city owns that land ..

Lord Helmet Guest

If it were solely up to me it wouldn't, but that really isn't practical especially in OK. I hate seeing the outlines of all the stripes that are left behind after they play non-football on a football pitch. But I am a purist....
    There's nothing worst than watching a soccer game with football lines all over the field. Ever watch a NE Revolution match once the Patriots have started? It's a horrible viewing experience (not to mention the stadium is way too big for an MLS team).

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the city owns that land ..
    Sounds like a possible win-win situation.

Blog Entries

The old COOP site needs to be redeveloped.

It gives Oklahoma City that tin-barn/tin can look which doesn't impress upon tourists. Glad the rock climbing structure is getting some prime-time paint.

A stadium complex just might spruce up this setting. The Oklahoma Riverfront Development seems to be coming along and something in the COOP site would certainly
    improve upon the area's building oversight.

Is the COOP site no longer in use? I recall they bought other property, but I thought their move was still way off on the horizon.

Of course, I've been wrong before on other things.

It's still in use.

The old COOP site needs to be redeveloped.

It gives Oklahoma City that tin-barn/tin can look which doesn't impress upon tourists. Glad the rock climbing structure is getting some prime-time paint.

A stadium complex just might spruce up this setting. The Oklahoma Riverfront Development seems to be coming along and something in the COOP site would certainly
    improve upon the area's building oversight.
    If I am not mistaken, they still operate but they are planning on moving operations to the former Dayton Tire Plant in a year or so. It would be nice when they move, every time they spool up the plant it makes the southern half of DT smell like burnt fried chicken.

I heard they are selling the land for some outrageous price (as in eight figures).

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    If I am not mistaken, they still operate but they are planning on moving operations to the former Dayton Tire Plant in a year or so. It would be nice when they move, every time they spool up the plant it makes the southern half of DT smell like burnt fried chicken.

I heard they are selling the land for some outrageous price (as in eight figures).
    I've heard they are asking an outrageous price but I haven't heard that they have any takers yet.

i don't know much about land values in downtown, but 8 figures to me doesn't sound that crazy, that's a big chunk of land in a prime spot

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    i don't know much about land values in downtown, but 8 figures to me doesn't sound that crazy, that's a big chunk of land in a prime spot
    I can tell you that land values have skyrocketed since the original MAPS in 1993. We paid $16 million for all the land that houses the ballpark, arena, library, bricktown canal etc., which was a separate issue on the original MAPS I we passed.
    If they are asking for an 8-figure cost ($10,000,000 or more) for the COOP site; then we will pay well over half for that parcel of property than what we spent on all of the MAPS I parcels combined.

I can tell you that land values have skyrocketed since the original MAPS in 1993. We paid $16 million for all the land that houses the ballpark, arena, library, bricktown canal etc., which was a separate issue on the original MAPS I we passed.
    If they are asking for an 8-figure cost ($10,000,000 or more) for the COOP site; then we will pay well over half for that parcel of property than what we spent on all of the MAPS I parcels combined.
    Isn't the mill site at least double (possibly triple) the size of area of the ballpark property though, what reason is there to believe it should be going for dramatically less per acre

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Isn't the mill site at least double (possibly triple) the size of area of the ballpark property though, what reason is there to believe it should be going for dramatically less per acre
    Just stated that we paid $16 million for all of the land in the MAPS I projects.

I don't know what the COOP site encompasses. As you mentioned Snowman, it might be three times that of the ballpark. I do remember Continental Baking Company on the site were the arena sits now. Was it disclosed what they received because they packed up and merged their operations with the Tulsa and Dallas bakeries?

The old bakery site didn't entail a whole lot of land; the price of land in and around the downtown area has skyrocketed as a result of our recent developments. Mayor Hump paid in excess of $7 million for the old downtown airpark. You bet he's going to make a killing when the time is ripe.

Is it worth $10 - $12 million? I'm sure the City will find a way to acquire it if they need it. We use to live in the Oak Park area near Old Douglass High School at 5th & High and Urban Renewal took and acquired our land at a cheap price.

IIRC when it was first listed it was for a 9-figure number in the range of $127m.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    IIRC when it was first listed it was for a 9-figure number in the range of $127m.
    Yes, that outrageous sum was based on downtown land sales in Dallas and Nashville before the Great Recession, not in the actual world we live in of Oklahoma real estate. To make a good local comp, we could look at the recent sale of the Stage Center site. If we assumed a similar price per acre as the Stage Center site, we'd have:

[Cost of the Stage Center Site] / [Total Acres of SC Site] = SC site Cost Per Acre
    [SC Cost Per Acre] * [Total Acres of the COOP Site] = quick and dirty local comp

Now we plug and chug...

[$4,275,000] / [3.15 acres] = $1,357,142.86 per acre
    [$1,357,142.86 per acre] * [37.75 acres] = $51,232,143

That's still a pretty penny, but man they are not even close if they are still thinking they can get $100 million plus for this land.

Houston Dynamo just opened their new 20K seat stadium last year. Here were the costs:

$95 million Cost to build BBVA Compass Stadium
    $60 million on construction,
    $20 million on infrastructure,
    $15 million on land

Blog Entries

As a practical matter I think any future MLS appropriate stadium will host American football games occasionally. I am hopeful at least one of the new OKC teams will be successful enough to be a serious contender for an MLS franchise and maybe we will get a stadium. There have been a lot of good ideas for a stadium location - we just need a team now!

We could have quite an I35 rivalry is San Antonio joins MLS too - KC, OKC, FC Dallas, Houston, and SA. Not all exactly on I35 but that is a pretty strong regional rivalry.
    The long-term goal of Prodigal (Funks' group) is to test the waters. If he has any success with an Oklahoma City USL-Pro franchise; he is definitely going to go for it. Get the stadium erected and apply for an MLS franchise. Why? Because this has become personal between the Funks and Lund.

Funk had a chance to get an MLS franchise for Edmond (Wantland Stadium); it would have cost $10 million. He took that $10 million and purchased the PCL AAA Redhawks. Now it's $125 million to get an MLS expansion franchise.

Lund's group, Sold Out Strategies (SOS) are taking it step by step. If they can build a successful NASL franchise; this is where Oklahoma City will probably stay and [B]who knows,[/B ]there could eventually be a merger between the NASL and the MLS.

Meanwhile, Taft Stadium has begun its renovation process to temporarily house an NASL franchise. It may be cheaper for Lund's group to continue using Taft and eventually expand it to 20,000-seats.

This stadium race is going to be interesting:

1. Could we have SOS build a 9,000 to 14,000-seat stadium with plans to expand to 22,000.
    2. Prodigal erecting an 8,000-seat facility with plans to expand to 20,000
    3. What about the City(?); MAPS IV (2017) could partner with any of these groups to build a facility.

It's going to be interesting to see how OKC develops the stadia plans being proposed for the future.

Fact Check:

The Oklahoma City NASL team is owned by Tim McLaughlin, not by Sold Out Strategies. Taft Stadium's renovation began yesterday with McLaughlin a part of it.
    More info: NASL Board of Governors Unanimously Approves Expansion To Jacksonville And Oklahoma City | North American Soccer League
    More info: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OKC-NASL/193509307484853

Blog Entries

The NASL Minnesota United has an awesome sports complex.

What are your thoughts on their 8,500-seat soccer/football stadium(?): https://www.google.com/search?q=nati...&bih=474&dpr=1

The stadium looks as though the field could be configured for softball, soccer and american football.

Thread Information