Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bar Next Door (formerly Back Door Barbecue)

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Backdoor BBQ is moving right along...

That ceiling is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    That ceiling is amazing.
    Grandad's (next door) has the same original tin ceiling.

Super sharp.

I wanted to do a similar tin ceiling on the soffits at JDM Place, we just couldn't find one that could go outside without going to a completely custom copper type of ceiling which would have cost almost as much as the cast stone on the building. For interior use there are a bunch of options, not so much for an exterior use.

Backdoor BBQ really coming along now:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Backdoor BBQ really coming along now:

Looking great! Hope the 'cue is good. We really need a top-notch destination for it in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Looking great! Hope the 'cue is good. We really need a top-notch destination for it in OKC.
    Don't know about the BBQ yet, but if the bourbon pecan pie is any indication, it is going to be a huge hit.

8. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Don't know about the BBQ yet, but if the bourbon pecan pie is any indication, it is going to be a huge hit.
    Unfortunately great desserts do not make for great BBQ. Most of the Q pics they have posted look pretty good though.

They did a ton of research on great BBQ joints and spent a bunch of money on a custom smoker.

I expect big things from this venture.

10. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

They did a ton of research on great BBQ joints and spent a bunch of money on a custom smoker.

I expect big things from this venture.
    They spent a bunch of money but it's just a Fast Eddy Cookshack commercial smoker. Not much custom about them and if I remember correctly from the picture I saw of it. It was this Cookshack FEC 750.

I was really hoping that after they visited Burn Co BBQ in Tulsa or Pecan Lodge in Dallas that they would go with either charcoal or a log fired smoker but the pellet smokers put out good Q too and have a lot lower learning curve than the other two. I also wondered if the smoker decision maybe had something to do with city codes too.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Not sure why we need to post the pic back to back (pet peeve, LOL), but what about Iron Starr BBQ? Most would say it is a top notch destination for Q.

12. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Not sure why we need to post the pic back to back (pet peeve, LOL), but what about Iron Starr BBQ? Most would say it is a top notch destination for Q.
    In my opinion.... Not even close, and most reviews you see for Iron Starr comment about how good their salads, sides, or desserts are.... And I'll give them that, The fancy mac & cheese is some of the better I have had.

The Q..... eh, it's ok but not worthy of the destination label. I would rather walk to Tulsa and eat at Burn Co BBQ than drive the 10 minutes from my office to get to Iron Starr.

Is Bubba's doing any better? If not Backdoor might run them out of business, which would be a huge shame

14. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

There are always a lot of cars in Bubba's parking lot but Back Door is going to up the ante for Q in that area. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see at least one of the two existing Q-raunts fold up after Back Door opens.

I imagine Bubbas will get spillover business since BTT usually is slammed. Not everyone likes to wait at lunch.

I suspect Bubba's does a good lunch business but not so much at dinner time.

I love the setting at Bubba's and their good is decent, so I hope they hang in there.

Yeah I think the hype that Backdoor will draw will deter some people still in the mood for Q and go to Bubba's. Is Bubba's even open for dinner?

Yeah I think the hype that Backdoor will draw will deter some people still in the mood for Q and go to Bubba's. Is Bubba's even open for dinner?
    It appears so from recent drive-bys, yes.

Drove by the area this evening as well. A lot of people eating on outdoor patios. Drove north on Walker and noticed that gas station site plan hasn't moved along one bit. Is that a future reality or still a pipe dream?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Drove by the area this evening as well. A lot of people eating on outdoor patios. Drove north on Walker and noticed that gas station site plan hasn't moved along one bit. Is that a future reality or still a pipe dream?
    Approvals for Pump Bar are still pending.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Newsflash: Businesses not getting permits and completely renovating neglected buildings in 3 weeks. Patience Danielson.

Newsflash: Businesses not getting permits and completely renovating neglected buildings in 3 weeks. Patience Danielson.
    Newsflash: After Pete's amazing straightforward post, I remember that something came as a snag against this place in some meeting. Not worried about permits or your sarcasm, but I do appreciate it nonetheless.

As a reminder, there is a separate thread for Pump Bar here:

Pump Bar - OKCTalk

Backdoor BBQ is getting close... FB page says early July.

This really looks like a first-rate operation.

Backdoor BBQ is getting close... FB page says early July.

This really looks like a first-rate operation.

I always love their community tables and it looks like we will get a big one in this one

Thread Information