Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 15 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Default Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Just got wind that this week a west coast retailer will be in OKC & Tulsa scouting potential sites.

Seems to be pretty hush-hush regarding exactly who this is, so I was hoping to get some help.

I'm hearing they are scouting for 90,000 square foot locations and are HQ'd on the west coast.

That's too small for Costco (typically about 140,000 sf on average) and way too big for a Trader Joe's.

One possibility is that it IS Costco, just looking to do smaller stores. But I doubt that.

So, what other retailers fit this description??

Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Nordstrom is based in Seattle...

Nordstroms are typically much larger than 90,000 sf.

One possibility may be REI. They have shifted towards superstores, some as large as 95,000 sf.

And they are HQ's in Kent, WA.

Safeway maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

One possibility may be REI. They have shifted towards superstores, some as large as 95,000 sf.

REI has been running ads on local radio lately. I found it odd (in a good way).

Now that youngest son has moved back to Norman from Dallas, an REI here would make him very, very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Safeway maybe?
    Safeway's used to be in Oklahoma before Homeland filled their void. Do you think they'd be looking into coming back after being gone for 20+ years?

OKCisOK4me: Unusual but not unheard of...IHOP & Panchos left and then came back...seems someone told me that K-Mart used to be hear decades ago, left, came back and left again.

9. Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Safeway's used to be in Oklahoma before Homeland filled their void. Do you think they'd be looking into coming back after being gone for 20+ years?
    Safeway was actually sold to the company that is now homeland. I doubt that they are coming back to oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    Safeway was actually sold to the company that is now homeland. I doubt that they are coming back to oklahoma.
    Yes, I was like 7 when that happened. Thank you for the clarification. I loved Safeway when I was a kid ;-)

I hope it is Safeway. At least in OKC, grocery stores are lacking moreso than any other retailer. Any quality grocer expanding into the market would be very welcome. The fact this company is also wanting to move in to Tulsa however makes me think that isn't the case. My guess is REI.

Frys?

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Frys?
    I am assuming you mean Fry's Electronics. I would highly doubt that being that they tend to be in the same markets IKEA would be in...only the largest and are regional destinations.

gander mountain, cabela's but i don't know where they are HQ'd.

what else is that big? maybe some furniture store?

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Frys?

maybe Fry's, store size would be in the neighborhood, they have stores in DFW and they might want to compete against Conn's in Conn's home territory.

here's another idea,

http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/sto...ce=50&state=OK they are in duncan and lawton already, but i think those would be way too small. although i've never seen one of their stores.

World Market? (Cost Plus)...they were bought by Bed, Bath & Beyond last year and this is a great market for them. They may see fit to open a World Market here. At 260+ stores, they are growing. Home Furniture, Home Decor, Gifts | World Market

Headquarters in the Bay Area.

bluedogok also said they opened one in Denver without wine sales. And, for what it's worth, they're in Wichita and several locations in DFW. The only thing that doesn't fit is the size of the store. 90,000 square feet is a lot, and seems we should be able to narrow it down based on that.

I would love for it to be Fry's Electronics but I can't see them opening in a market this small and if they did they surely wouldn't do both OKC and Tulsa. I think Austin is their smallest market.

My guess is Costco and they are simply planning smaller stores. I don't think if it was a niche retailer the terminology "big retailer" would be used. That makes me think its something that will be a big deal for everybody.

18. Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

There are several World Markets in Denver and Dallas. OKC would fill the gap, but 90,000 sf is too large for them. I think REI is a good bet.

Yes, too big for Cost Plus (if my info is correct about the 90,000 sf).

I'm hoping it's REI. They have a rabid and loyal following here on the West Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    World Market? (Cost Plus)...they were bought by Bed, Bath & Beyond last year and this is a great market for them. They may see fit to open a World Market here. At 260+ stores, they are growing. Home Furniture, Home Decor, Gifts | World Market

Headquarters in the Bay Area.

bluedogok also said they opened one in Denver without wine sales. And, for what it's worth, they're in Wichita and several locations in DFW. The only thing that doesn't fit is the size of the store. 90,000 square feet is a lot, and seems we should be able to narrow it down based on that.
    I second a World Market, I think Norman would be a terrific place for one as I stated in another thread. I think their stores however are 18,000-21,000 square feet.

REI woud be awesome

REI has stores of all sizes here in the Denver area, the huge one downtown and much smaller ones away from downtown. The newer store in Round Rock by Ikea would definitely be in the size range they are looking at, I think it was around 80,000 sf. The Downtown Austin store is pretty small in comparison.

I can't imagine Safeway wanting to come in. They have tried to be more upscale these past several years. Itigjt be nordstrom. Aren't they also putting a nordstrom rack somewhere soon? Might make sense but a bizarre move. REI maybe but they seem more geared to mountain stuff. This place is saturated with best buys so I doubt Frys will come in. Maybe Costco but 90k sq ft seems small. I have no clue. Where do you hear about this information?

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    I can't imagine Safeway wanting to come in. They have tried to be more upscale these past several years. Itigjt be nordstrom. Aren't they also putting a nordstrom rack somewhere soon? Might make sense but a bizarre move. REI maybe but they seem more geared to mountain stuff. This place is saturated with best buys so I doubt Frys will come in. Maybe Costco but 90k sq ft seems small. I have no clue. Where do you hear about this information?
    This entire post basically sums it up. Lol

All I know is, if Tulsa gets a full size Nordstrom and we don't, I will be pissed!

Thread Information