Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

I was thinking the Food 4 Less was bought out or went under. When they closed that store, I think most people were surprised because it did pretty well here. That was back in the days before Walmart got into the grocery market in OKC. The closest thing that may have existed was the Supercenter in Yukon or the one in El Reno. They were the first two supercenter if I recall right.

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    I was thinking the Food 4 Less was bought out or went under. When they closed that store, I think most people were surprised because it did pretty well here. That was back in the days before Walmart got into the grocery market in OKC. The closest thing that may have existed was the Supercenter in Yukon or the one in El Reno. They were the first two supercenter if I recall right.
    Food 4 Less was a direct-to-the-customer store owned and operated by (at that time) distributing giant Fleming Companies.

3. Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Why do I have a feeling that "Parallel Parkway" isn't too far from Prospect Ave? =)
    Not even in the same state; Parallel Parkway runs east-west through Kansas City, Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Agreed. The OKC metro only has 1.3 million people, but be that as it may, Little Rock, a metro less than half the size of OKC, has 21 stores that are at least on the level of the May/Britton Homeland. This is a big issue for people who move to OKC from elsewhere and are used to a higher standard. Stores like people in this thread are wishing for are things people take for granted in any other metropolitan area. Zookeeper is right when he says after we get them they will be nothing special - because they aren't anything special outside of OKC. They are an amenity that any metropolitan area should have. I doubt anybody here thinks there should be an H-E-B Central Market or Flagship Randall's on every corner, but OKC deserves better than the stores it has, with the exception of the six listed above by zookeeper which actually are decent. Six stores for a metro of 1.3 million people especially one this sprawled out is ridiculous.
    This is so true--these stores are NOT anything special outside of OKC--they are the default option. Our default options are rock bottom prices and no frills. I just can't understand how some people see this as whining about a problem that does not really exist. Sometimes our standards are just far too low.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    Not even in the same state; Parallel Parkway runs east-west through Kansas City, Kansas.
    The Prospect Ave. to which I was referring runs north-south through Kansas City, Kansas.
    The part I accidentally drove onto began not far from 12th Street and Vine.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    This is so true--these stores are NOT anything special outside of OKC--they are the default option. Our default options are rock bottom prices and no frills. I just can't understand how some people see this as whining about a problem that does not really exist. Sometimes our standards are just far too low.
    Well said. I think OKC should work on improving these smaller issues that aren't deal breakers but do affect the quality of life here. This is an exciting time to be living in OKC, but I would be lying if I said living here didn't require sacrifices in certain areas compared to living elsewhere, this being one of them. On one hand its not a big deal, I can just drive farther to one of the few quality options that are here. On the other hand its very annoying and a poor reflection on the city. I think demanding better is certainly justified.

7. Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

I stand (actually, sort of slouch) corrected.

Reasor's are nice, but Wal-Mart has an over 60% marketshare in OKC. Its very risky for a new grocer to enter a market in that environment. Winco doesn't look like the kind of grocer most here have been asking for, but its a step in the right direction because it will challenge Wal-Mart's dominance. The Wal-Mart crowd isn't going to leave Wal-Mart for a trendy supermarket. There is talk of Reasor's opening in Edmond but the NIMBY's are fighting it so I will believe it when I see it.
    Reasor's is definitely expanding, maybe Edmond/OKC is next? They just bought three of the old Albertson's stores in Tulsa that turned into Food Pyramid. The other two Food Pyramid's are being bought by a national grocery chain.

The owner of the Food Pyramid grocery chain is selling all of its five Tulsa stores, including three to Tahlequah-based Reasor’s.

Reasor’s will acquire the stores at 11214 East 71st Street South, 3328 East 51st Street, and 3915 South Peoria Ave. An unnamed national tenant is considering Food Pyramid’s other sites at 4818 East 80th Street South, 7990 East 51st Street, and the closed building at 10122 South Memorial Drive.

Reasor's buying three Food Pyramid stores in Tulsa | Tulsa World

9. Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Yeah it could be Wild Woody's Happy Foods in Kansas City. Now that's a bad grocery store. However, I would be willing to bet Concord has better options than the Market Basket you visited.
    It does, but we were staying blocks away from the Market Basket...a nice Shaw's and a nice Hannaford.

According to an article at Tulsa World, the national retailer is not in the grocery business. They were wanting to buy three Food Pyramid locations in Tulsa. Whoever this retailer is will be somebody who will likely have multiple metro locations. That rules out REI or Costco, both of which would likely only open a single location.

Needless to say, if OKC wants better grocery stores along with a lifestyle center, it needs to step up it's income. There are at least two states poorer than Oklahoma in which the main city has higher per capita income than Oklahoma City. They are Little Rock and Albuquerque.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Needless to say, if OKC wants better grocery stores along with a lifestyle center, it needs to step up it's income. There are at least two states poorer than Oklahoma in which the main city has higher per capita income than Oklahoma City. They are Little Rock and Albuquerque.
    Yeah we'll get right on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    When looking at MSA income numbers, OKC comes out ahead of Tulsa and Little Rock. OKC is killed in this area by three things in my opinion.

1. Fragmentation of wealthy areas throughout the city
    2. Low developer standards
    3. Wal-Mart marketshare

These are not easily fixable, but something can be done about #2.

I've heard this retailer -- still mysterious -- is close to securing 3 locations in OKC and 2 in Tulsa.

My money is still on WinCo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've heard this retailer -- still mysterious -- is close to securing 3 locations in OKC and 2 in Tulsa.

My money is still on WinCo.
    Tulsa World says its not a grocer. What could warrant 3 locations if not a grocery store?

REI, Costco, Cost Plus World Market, Container Store, etc would likely only open a single location in each metro.

Doubt this is related...but have noticed they were making improvements to the facade of the shopping center on the SW corner of 33rd and Boulevard in Edmond. They previously had been working on irrigation / landscaping improvements as well.

I believe it used to be a grocery store but has been vacant for awhile. I would welcome any kind of new grocery there...the Homeland down the street is awful...although Sprouts is only a couple of miles away and is one of the best groceries I've been to.

I could see Costco opening 3 locations, but they would likely be bigger than 90,000 sq ft. Hoepfully your source is wrong on the square footage and it ends up being a full sized Costco

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I could see Costco opening 3 locations, but they would likely be bigger than 90,000 sq ft. Hoepfully your source is wrong on the square footage and it ends up being a full sized Costco
    If the metro can support 7 Sam's Clubs, I wouldn't see a problem with it supporting three Costcos. If Costco comes into the market, they are going head to head with a very entrenched Wal-Mart/Sam's Club, and the only way to do that is to come in strong.

Agreed

I really hope it's Costco too, but I don't think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    If the metro can support 7 Sam's Clubs, I wouldn't see a problem with it supporting three Costcos. If Costco comes into the market, they are going head to head with a very entrenched Wal-Mart/Sam's Club, and the only way to do that is to come in strong.
    There are only two Costco's in Austin and they were opened years apart. Their newer stores are typically larger than 90,000 sf. Sam's had a many years head start in Austin, I don't think they would have to do anything out of the norm, Costco generally creates its own buzz in a new market.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    There are only two Costco's in Austin and they were opened years apart. Their newer stores are typically larger than 90,000 sf. Sam's had a many years head start in Austin, I don't think they would have to do anything out of the norm, Costco generally creates its own buzz in a new market.
    Well, I don't know about Austin, but I'm sure if the DFW can support 9-10 Costco's, OKC metro can support 3. I understand they are bigger than 90,000 sf, that's why I said maybe Pete's source might be off about the sf and we might get lucky lol(like Beavis and Butthead trying to score!!!!!!) It would be awesome if OKC would score a Costco here. I'd be the first to sign up

World Market has 3 locations here in Jax.

From the Oklahoman:

Costco talk in Oklahoma City

Published: August 20, 2013 by Richard Hall
    A reader writes:

Hi Richard. Just read your article (on big-box retail space). I’m sure you’re tired of this question, but what’s the latest on Costco in Oklahoma City? Any thoughts on where they would go first? Edmond? Norman? Or OKC? Thanks for your time and an update.

-Terry

Talk is that if and when Costco comes, it’ll land along the Memorial Road corridor in the Quail Springs Mall area. A broker who does lots of land deals for freestanding boxes said: “My guess is that they are a year or so away from inking a deal, but that is speculation.”

Richard Hall

Costco talk in Oklahoma City | News OK

I would kill for a Costco here! What is this source that Pete speaks of?

Thread Information