Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will The Redhawks Leave OKC In The Near Future?

Default Will The Redhawks Leave OKC In The Near Future?

Ive been reading that the Houston Astros are interested in moving their AAA franchise closer to Houston. I also know that the Redhawks are for sale right now. Even though the Oklahoman's hard-hitting journalist simply parroted what the team representative told him, if you put those two facts together AND you add in that Redhawks attendance is 25th in MiLB attendance, behind several A, and AA teams you have to look at the possibility that we might lose the team.
    Ive also noticed the last few years that they are using signage in the satdium to hide empty seat, and also bring capacity down to around 9,000. Seems like a play right out of the Barons playbook. And they STILL look empty.

Default Re: Will The Redhawks Leave OKC In The Near Future?

the issue with the redhawks is Nolan Ryan. Nolan was working for the Rangers a few years ago and his son I believe owns the Round rock triple A team so that is why he switched the Rangers triple A affiliate. Now Nolan works for the Astros so rumors are he is going to switch them to the Round Rock franchise, thus allowing the okc redhawks to become the affiliate of the Rangers again.

I haven't attended a redhawks game in several years. I cant stand the owners, its like its a carninval with whacky games and t-shirt give aways.

why is our culture so obsessed with getting a free XXXL t-shirt? makes little sense to me

HangryHippo Guest

I don't mind that Mandalay took over the team. I think they've done a pretty good job. But I agree with you 100% that Nolan Ryan is the biggest problem for the Redhawks.

On another note, I'd really like to see them go back to being called the 89ers.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    the issue with the redhawks is Nolan Ryan. Nolan was working for the Rangers a few years ago and his son I believe owns the Round rock triple A team so that is why he switched the Rangers triple A affiliate. Now Nolan works for the Astros so rumors are he is going to switch them to the Round Rock franchise, thus allowing the okc redhawks to become the affiliate of the Rangers again.

I haven't attended a redhawks game in several years. I cant stand the owners, its like its a carninval with whacky games and t-shirt give aways.

why is our culture so obsessed with getting a free XXXL t-shirt? makes little sense to me
    I agree with you. We haven't been to a game in years, either. From what I have read the Round Rock team has been a pretty big success story. It help the Rangers sell their brand down in the Austin/San Antonio area which USED to be Astros territory. To combat this, the Astros want to move their AAA affiliate to The Woodlands. I don't see the Rangers changing back to OKC if that happens. Why would they? Especially since Round Rock is also 8th in MiLB attendance, and we are 25th?

First, lemme preface my comments here by agreeing that Ryan is the biggest problem right now for the Redhawks, above all else.

We used to attend Redhawks games fairly regularly when the kids were younger, but I think the decrease in interest is at least in part because people in general aren't as "into" pro baseball as they used to be. Its hard to get invested in a franchise at the AAA level when you go in knowing the team liekly won't be intact throughout the season as the parent club does the callups. Obviously, the Thunder has affected interest as well, given it is a "real" pro sports franchise at the top layer of its sport, rather than a AAA baseball group that doesn't have quite the same objectives.

Another problem is that has been entirely lost on current ownership was that the Hamptons (Bing and Patty Cox) made the old 89ers work by selling the family fun experience, NOT the pro baseball experience. For a long time, particularly as the farm team of Phillly, the 89ers just weren't very good. But they had good crowds, highly visible players who were involved in the city, lots of fun "fan" nights of various types, and you just don't see that from this management group.

It surely doesn't help to have someone upstream with a vested interest in getting the club away from your town, of course. And current management/ownership of the Redhakws has been absolutely dreadful in promoting the team, the park, the atmosphere, you name it. And the city should have had an absolute conniption fit when Mandalay opted to cover up second-tier seats with the banners.

The Bricktown Ballpark (and I don't care what it's "official" name is) is still a gem of a park, but it is being overlooked and lost in the shuffle of bigger things. I don't know if it *can* be turned around entirely. Getting the Rangers affiliation back would help, but getting the promotions and the Redhawks name back in the public consciousness wouldn't hurt. HEck, I see more press from and about the Barons hockey team than the 'Hawks. For that matter, changing the name back to the 89ers would be GREAT throwback promotion IMHO. Would dispatch of the old, failed NHL effort and get the team name back to some OK area roots.

Just a few thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    We used to attend Redhawks games fairly regularly when the kids were younger, but I think the decrease in interest is at least in part because people in general aren't as "into" pro baseball as they used to be. Its hard to get invested in a franchise at the AAA level when you go in knowing the team liekly won't be intact throughout the season as the parent club does the callups. Obviously, the Thunder has affected interest as well, given it is a "real" pro sports franchise at the top layer of its sport, rather than a AAA baseball group that doesn't have quite the same objectives.
    I hope you don't mind but I posted this part of what you said on another forum where guys are always saying, "So what if it's 'farm team'? Why should that matter?"
    I think it DOES matter to alot of people, me included.

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    I hope you don't mind but I posted this part of what you said on another forum where guys are always saying, "So what if it's 'farm team'? Why should that matter?"
    I think it DOES matter to alot of people, me included.
    No problem at all Glad you thought it was worthy to GET reposted somewhere

i think if the redhawks switch affiliation back to the rangers, it will help attendance and interest.

most of the rangers games are broadcast on fox sports southwest, and the ballpark is just over a 3-hour drive away, so any major-league call-ups can be seen fairly easily.

houston has never connected with the city, and they've had good teams the last few years, which you can't say about the astros (worst team in baseball the last 3 years by far).

from all the games i've been to over the years, it doesn't appear that a whole lot of fans really care who's playing - they're at the ballpark for various reasons - family night out, dollar beer night, group outing, etc... i bet the majority are just there for an outdoor night of fun.

i don't think there's any danger of the redhawks leaving anytime soon - the ballpark's still nice and in a great location, the fans still come out (although i'm not sure what attendance it takes to make or break), and they know they can't compete with the thunder but are a good summertime diversion anyway.

I think it will be interesting to see if soccer takes a bite out of the Redhawks attendance this summer.

Reconnect with the Rangers and bring back the 89er's name and I am sold.

I guess I'm the loner here, but I'm glad it's Houston's AAA team (disclaimer: grew up in Houston, the Stros are my team). I will say if you want to see some great young talent, go check them out the first 6 weeks of this season before any of them get called up (mostly Springer). Hopefully Carlos Correa makes it here soon too, he's starting in Corpus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Reconnect with the Rangers and bring back the 89er's name and I am sold.
    I, personally, think you'd get a LOT of traction for going back to the 89ers moniker. There's a Twitter account devoted to the idea, called "Save Our 89ers" if memory serves. Haven't seen them tweet a lot lately, but they're out there.

Redhawks, as was told to me by someone I believe would know, were forced on 89ers ownership as a tip of the cap back to the investment group that spearheaded the failed NHL drive. Name, logos, colors, etc. had all been picked, and there was a desire that effort not "go to waste." So the 89ers were "cordially mandated" to voluntarily change the team name.

It could be the NyQuil talking, but for a while I've been thinking that the ballpark would be better off re-configured as a soccer stadium for our USL Pro (and hopefully future MLS) franchise.

Redhawks, as was told to me by someone I believe would know, were forced on 89ers ownership as a tip of the cap back to the investment group that spearheaded the failed NHL drive. Name, logos, colors, etc. had all been picked, and there was a desire that effort not "go to waste." So the 89ers were "cordially mandated" to voluntarily change the team name.
    I always thought that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I guess I'm the loner here, but I'm glad it's Houston's AAA team (disclaimer: grew up in Houston, the Stros are my team). I will say if you want to see some great young talent, go check them out the first 6 weeks of this season before any of them get called up (mostly Springer). Hopefully Carlos Correa makes it here soon too, he's starting in Corpus.
    houston has had great talent here the last 2 seasons, but for whatever reason, it hasn't translated to the major leagues when they get called up.

doesn't matter to me whether they're 89ers or redhawks... i'd just prefer a rangers affiliation so i could have more of a connection to the parent team.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    houston has had great talent here the last 2 seasons, but for whatever reason, it hasn't translated to the major leagues when they get called up.

doesn't matter to me whether they're 89ers or redhawks... i'd just prefer a rangers affiliation so i could have more of a connection to the parent team.
    Eh, nothing like they're going to have passing through starting this year. The last two seasons were still horrible relics of the Ed Wade era.

Those guys were nothing but AAAA players (Brett Wallace particularly comes to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    It could be the NyQuil talking, but for a while I've been thinking that the ballpark would be better off re-configured as a soccer stadium for our USL Pro (and hopefully future MLS) franchise.
    Yes, it has got to be the NyQuil talking. Baseball belongs in Bricktown. A beautiful, Triple-A facility.

Attendance means nothing to Astros or whoever really. As far as I know, the Astros don't get money for minor league attendance, that's all Mandalays. So crowds cant be that big of deal.

Another problem is that has been entirely lost on current ownership was that the Hamptons #Bing and Patty Cox# made the old 89ers work by selling the family fun experience, NOT the pro baseball experience. For a long time, particularly as the farm team of Phillly, the 89ers just weren't very good. But they had good crowds, highly visible players who were involved in the city, lots of fun "fan" nights of various types, and you just don't see that from this management group.
    Family and "fan" nights is pretty much all they do. They also focus some on corporate sales but you go to any game and there is some kind of promotion or deal. Maybe they don't do it as well as other minor league operators but they primarily focus on family and group sales.

It surely doesn't help to have someone upstream with a vested interest in getting the club away from your town, of course. And current management/ownership of the Redhakws has been absolutely dreadful in promoting the team, the park, the atmosphere, you name it. And the city should have had an absolute conniption fit when Mandalay opted to cover up second-tier seats with the banners.
    I don't get why its a big deal they covered up the seats. The seats aren't needed and they can sale a little more ad space. Cant blame them and why would anyone want to sit there?

The Bricktown Ballpark #and I don't care what it's "official" name is# is still a gem of a park, but it is being overlooked and lost in the shuffle of bigger things. I don't know if it *can* be turned around entirely. Getting the Rangers affiliation back would help, but getting the promotions and the Redhawks name back in the public consciousness wouldn't hurt. HEck, I see more press from and about the Barons hockey team than the 'Hawks. For that matter, changing the name back to the 89ers would be GREAT throwback promotion IMHO. Would dispatch of the old, failed NHL effort and get the team name back to some OK area roots.

Just a few thoughts.
    I agree that Rangers affiliation would help, but only modesty. Basically crowds come down to how well the operator (Mandalay) gets out there and works, promotes, and provides good clean fun.

Out of curiosity, in addition to the Redhawks Triple A team, are there other AA or A teams in Oklahoma? I've heard of the team in Tulsa (Drillers?), which I am assuming is either AAA or AA, but are there also others?

Tulsa is the AA affiliate of the Colorado Rockies that plays in the Texas league.

only the redhawks and the double A Tulsa drillers which they have a very nice new park.

Used to have an "Oklahoma league" that was D- ball back in the early party of last century. Ponca city Enid, and others all had teams.

One thing I have noticed this spring is how out and about the Energy FC group with the players. They were in the st pats parade and even at h and 8th last Friday night. Never heard the redhawks ever do anything like this.

22. Default Re: Will The Redhawks Leave OKC In The Near Future?

I get the 10 game package cause I like sitting outside, with a cold one, and watch baseball. Could really care less if they are good or not. And the fact they give me hawks cash that contributes to the cold ones is excellent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Family and "fan" nights is pretty much all they do. They also focus some on corporate sales but you go to any game and there is some kind of promotion or deal. Maybe they don't do it as well as other minor league operators but they primarily focus on family and group sales.
    My daughter made the Redhawks All-Stars (entertainment group) this year, and they have been practicing hard for a couple months to make it fun for families!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    I agree.

AAA baseball is defunct in Portland, Oregon which now has an MLS franchise playing in their reconfigured baseball to soccer stadium--they are doing well. Anyone think that Oklahoma City will eventually drop baseball and possibly look at other uses for the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark?

There's also the possibility that the Cardinals could move their AAA operations to Oklahoma City.

Minor league PCL AAA baseball has to be looking at expenses associated with operating on that level. Should the leagues go back to a separate Pacific Coast League and American Association for reduced travel?

I've heard that the Bricktown Ballpark can't be expanded; if anyone knows anything about this please chime in.

The PCL's travel is vast with the merging of the Pacific Coast League & the old American Association:

Pacific Coast League: Pacific-Northern, Pacific-Southern, American-Northern, American-Southern.
    Pacific Northern - Fresno, Reno, Sacramento, Tacoma - Pacific Southern - Albuquerque, El Paso, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City.
    American Northern - Colorado Springs, Des Moines, Oklahoma City, Omaha. American Southern - Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Round Rock.

The PCL stretches from Tacoma, WA (west & north) to Nashville, TN (east), Omaha, NE (north) and down to Round Rock (Austin) & New Orleans (south).

Oklahoma City finished 8th among the 16-team PCL in attendance this past season: Pacific Coast League Attendance | Pacific Coast League Stats

Weren't "The Redhawks" originally associated with "The Cardinals"?
    I vote for a return to "The 89'ers".
    Turn the venue over to Soccer (Futbol) . . .
    And restore the purpose of The State Fairgrounds (off season).

'

Thread Information