Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

The Big XII has seen better days.

2. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

The Big 12 is the new Big East of the BCS conferences unfortunately.

*sigh*......I know....

4. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

OSU loses at WVU 30-21
    TCU finally blew out SMU 48-17 (31 pts in the 4th)

OU leading ND 14-7 in the 2nd right now...still nervous with this one.

5. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

And we can breathe again...for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    And we can breathe again...for a week.
    Fantastic game in South Bend! I wish we could play them every year!

Blog Entries

Outstanding play by the Mike Stoop's defense and the Belldozier offense enroute to a 35-21 victory; but the 'Luck of the Irish' couldn't charm the 'Sooner Magic.'

Sooner fans will be dancing in the streets of South Bend.

I am going to enjoy this win for a long time because the Sooners have not defeated Notre Dame since 1956 so that is a long 57 years!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I am going to enjoy this win for a long time because the Sooners have not defeated Notre Dame since 1956 so that is a long 57 years!

Oh, so well do I remember when they snapped Oklahoma's 47-game winning streak in 1957;my older brothers and his friends all crying; that's when I became an OU fan and began to follow the Sooners. There went many times thereafter we got on the train or hitchhiked into Norman and sat in those green bleacher south end-zone seats. It truely brings back memories...

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Fantastic game in South Bend! I wish we could play them every year!
    It sounds like they might be in the talking stages of another home and home deal.
    It would be good to play ND home and home every 10 to 15 years.

The Big 12 is down this season, it is cyclic. Many teams lost a good chunk of their offenses from last season and I expect the conference will be better as the teams come into their own.

We headed to the mountains yesterday (Breckenridge, Independence Pass, Aspen) as I wasn't too confident about the game. Listened to it when driving (ND broadcast on Sirius) and checked in on the score when were were walking around Breck. I recorded the game on the DVR, will have to watch it after the NFL games today since we didn't get back to Denver from Aspen until 1:00 this morning.

13. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

HOLY CRAP! Hurry...run to the SEC, Big Ten, PAC, whoever...before he changes his mind.

Report: Texas AD DeLoss Dodds to announce retirement Tuesday - CBSSports.com

DeLoss Dodds will announce Tuesday afternoon that he will step down next August as Texas' athletic director, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

Ugh! Another year of having breakfast at the Cotton Bowl.

Oklahoma football: Kickoff set for Oct. 12 OU-Texas game | News OK

15. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Oklahoma a legit title*contender. ESPN

Oklahoma Sooners a legit title contender - College Football - ESPN

"The Sooners are now a clear favorite in the league."

"And they could go even further."

While I was definitely impressed with the ND game, I temper myself with the fact that this is not the same ND from last year. I think OU is still a bit porous in blocking the run (but no doubt our defense is MUCH improved). But we are young. I like this team and where its headed.

As far as being a title contender, I think the Big 12-2 is far too weak; we would have to win every game and hope that every other top 10 team has at least 1 loss. And frankly I am not so sure OU wins out; we always drop a game we should have run away with. But I definitely think the conference championship is very much in reach, and a BCS bowl appearance and top 10 or even 5 finish would be considered a big success in a so called rebuilding year. I think next year we are primed to go all the way, which is a testament to Bob Stoop's leadership in righting the ship.

18. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

TCU should be a decent test on how well we can stop a running QB. I agree with AD though. The Big 12 is too weak for OU to be a title contender this year if we see more than 1 team for undefeated. It should be pointed out that in the BCS Computers right now, Georgia has a decent lead on us WITH one loss. Unless teams completely implode, we are going to have at least one of these pairs ahead of us: Alabama/Georgia, Oregon/Stanford, Clemson/Florida State...and probably also Ohio State if they win out.

OU is in the drivers seat for the Big 12 title, so they just need to focus on that. National title hopes are still pretty dim. If we were in a playoff format already this year, then it would be a good chance we would be in the mix. Unless of course they would take an undefeated Louisville - who is still a couple slots below us right now.

OU is young at several potions.... several mistakes prevented a more lopsided score. The good news is that these mistakes are very correctable.

There are several improvements that have been made at OU that most of the local sports media is well behind the curve on parts of them.

The new coaches have made a big difference. But so have changes in the strength, conditioning and nutrition. OU is a significantly stronger and better conditioned team. Lower injury rates verify this. Except for maybe Texas its going to be very tough for any Big 12 team to match the new physicality of what OU now brings.
    OU now has a poised QB, particularly for only 2 starts. There is also a much better team chemistry this season. Players will work hard to get better each week.
    If OU doesn’t play well, turns the ball over or has a rash of injuries they could lose a game just like any good team can.... But OU has got to be the Big 12 favorit at this point.
    But for the first time in several seasons I like the direction the program is headed. Players are playing and acting like they are putting the teams fortunes first.... We have not seen that IMHO in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    OU is young at several potions.... several mistakes prevented a more lopsided score. The good news is that these mistakes are very correctable.

There are several improvements that have been made at OU that most of the local sports media is well behind the curve on parts of them.

The new coaches have made a big difference. But so have changes in the strength, conditioning and nutrition. OU is a significantly stronger and better conditioned team. Lower injury rates verify this. Except for maybe Texas its going to be very tough for any Big 12 team to match the new physicality of what OU now brings.
    OU now has a poised QB, particularly for only 2 starts. There is also a much better team chemistry this season. Players will work hard to get better each week.
    If OU doesn’t play well, turns the ball over or has a rash of injuries they could lose a game just like any good team can.... But OU has got to be the Big 12 favorit at this point.
    But for the first time in several seasons I like the direction the program is headed. Players are playing and acting like they are putting the teams fortunes first.... We have not seen that IMHO in a long time.
    So you mean OU was a weak team before?

^
    I lost count of how many injury time outs OU was taking by the end of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    The Big 12 is too weak for OU to be a title contender this year if we see more than 1 team for undefeated. It should be pointed out that in the BCS Computers right now, Georgia has a decent lead on us WITH one loss. Unless teams completely implode, we are going to have at least one of these pairs ahead of us: Alabama/Georgia, Oregon/Stanford, Clemson/Florida State...and probably also Ohio State if they win out.
    I love how OU is playing, but I don't think they get through the conference unscathed... But, if they do, there's a good chance they'd play for the title. There are not multiple undefeated BCS teams most seasons. There will be upsets along the way and OU will pass 1 loss teams eventually (either in the polls or computers or both). There are a lot of head-to-head top 10 matches yet to come and the winners of some of those will lose a game somewhere else. It happens every year. While it's fun to think about, this OU team probably isn't there yet, but we'll see.

Isn't this year the first year of the four team playoff? If so, all they have to do is make it into the top four in the BCS to have a chance at the national title.

24. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Isn't this year the first year of the four team playoff? If so, all they have to do is make it into the top four in the BCS to have a chance at the national title.
    That's with the 2014 season. This is the last BCS year. There won't be any BCS poll next year. The four team playoff is also picked by committee not by poll rankings.

The officials sure are baling Texas out tonight with penalties, especially pass interference.

Thread Information