Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I don't think Heupel was ready for play calling duties, still too green to do that. I was hopeful when he was promoted but always felt like he needed some more seasoning.
    I have learned, being an OSU fan, that the savviest playcalling comes from guys who truly have an innate sense for the ebb and flow. Say what you will about WVU, Holgorsen is a mad genius at playcalling. Monken had a healthy admiration for him and was competent in learning the system.

The worst play callers are very conservative, unsure of themselves, and don't have an innate feel for the game. I don't think that Heupel is as bad as Chuck "3rd and Long" or Yurcich, but OU is obviously not playing to the strengths of its personnel.

If I see Yurcich call another screen pass on first down I'm going to go berserk...that is the OC punting on his own decision making. "We'll surely if I just call it conservative ill offend nobody?" Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    And exactly what incentive will they have to pick Oklahoma?

You don't get to play more storied programs Nebraska or A&M anymore, but hey...well Morgantown can be fun to visit? OOC games we don't really get into the Southeast much which would help for recruiting. We are at Tennessee in 2015, but then won't be back until @LSU in 2019. Sure teams like Ohio State and Nebraska are on the schedule going forward...but that isn't until 2016/2017 and 2021/2022 respectfully. Oh but hold on...there is Tulsa!

If we want any chance of getting more recruits from the Southeast, then we need to start looking at forgetting Tulsa and Louisiana Tech and more on teams in the actual Southeast.

However, why would people pick Oklahoma when a national title isn't a sure thing with the Big 12 anymore? SEC, Big Ten, and PAC 12 are more in a direct line to get there...heck ACC is getting itself righted as well. We've fallen to near the level of the AAC (Old Big East) but not quite...regardless, if Alabama, A&M, or LSU are targeting the same recruit as OU...chances are they won't show up in Norman.
    I disagree, we still have premier programs. OU will always be OU, Texas will get itself righted, OSU/Tech/K-State are at least as good as A&M historically. TCU and WVU are arguably an upgrade from Mizzou and Colorado.

We just don't have 16 teams. The Big 12 will be okay as long as Texas is the nation's premier athletic program, as much as I hate to say it. If they hire David Shaw or Nick Saban, that will make a huge statement in terms of reasserting our position. I would look forward to competing against their program.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I disagree, we still have premier programs. OU will always be OU, Texas will get itself righted, OSU/Tech/K-State are at least as good as A&M historically. TCU and WVU are arguably an upgrade from Mizzou and Colorado.

We just don't have 16 teams. The Big 12 will be okay as long as Texas is the nation's premier athletic program, as much as I hate to say it. If they hire David Shaw or Nick Saban, that will make a huge statement in terms of reasserting our position. I would look forward to competing against their program.
    Academically speaking TCU and WVU were a big downgrade from MU and CU. I'd rather still have CU, but I'm partial because I'm an alum.

For purely selfish reasons I would rather have CU because it would give me a game to go to up here every so often.

5. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Well, that's not going to happen. CU's firmly entrenched as the doormat of the Pac12. They did provide a reason to go see a game when OU played them. Lord knows there's no other reason to go see a CU football game

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Lord knows there's no other reason to go see a CU football game
    Beer in the stadium? LOL

7. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by elitespy View Post
    And what do you find amusing about that?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Well, that's not going to happen. CU's firmly entrenched as the doormat of the Pac12. They did provide a reason to go see a game when OU played them. Lord knows there's no other reason to go see a CU football game
    I know, when there was all the talk of going to the Pac 12 that would be the one benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Beer in the stadium? LOL
    I don't believe they sell beer at Folsom Field anymore, nor do they in the Coors Events Center.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I don't believe they sell beer at Folsom Field anymore, nor do they in the Coors Events Center.
    Well I know I won't ever be back to a game there again then.

11. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

I find it unfortunate and sad. Metoyer's life has been out of control it seems since high school. The poor young man is just losing control. He'll end up having a sex offender mark on him for life now. From a 5-start recruit to likely never touching the NFL let alone be on the field every again in college football. Hopefully he gets the treatment and support he needs.

I think the crossdressing pic of Kenny Stills is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than that.

The pen thing is weird unless he is shoving the pen up his butt

14. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Watching OU/KU...

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Watching OU/KU...

Wow.

Sooners might be out of the top 25 since they had to make a comeback against crappy Kansas to win the game

16. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    Sooners might be out of the top 25 since they had to make a comeback against crappy Kansas to win the game
    Doubt it. Most of the voters will just look at the end score. They may drop a spot or two.

I guess I don't understand why anyone is worried about where the Sooners are in the polls. This year's Sooner squad is not a poll-relevant team.

I just think OU has to be in week-to-week survival mode with this defense. I believe their primary adjustment in the 1st quarter was to get their outside LB's to shift in their alignment to the infield side about a yard or two, and to bring up a safety some. Small change, and probably why Alexander was on the headsets for a time in the first half. But it made all the difference in Kansas looking like it had the reincarnation of Gayle Sayers and looking like...well...the Kansas we all expected.

Folks, this is a bad Kansas team. I suppose the team needs a break from the supposed Texas hangover, but that's not always been a characteristic of Stoops teams. I don't know what happened late in the first half, but there was for a time a clear change in Bell's pocket demeanor, where he started throwing with confidence and great authority - and proceeded to throw some of his best passes all year. Strikes. Accurate. Routes that develop relatively quickly. But when plays are called where routes take time to develop, Bell simply doesn't have the time or patience to wait. Now, to be completely fair, the OL hasn't done a great job of protecting him. No question. But, by the same token, Bell often gets very jittery in the pocket, and that makes the slower-developing plays that much harder to execute. And he has no sense of when (or how) to just throw the ball away.

The offense they ran against KU from the mid-2nd quarter on sure would have been nice to see at least in hint form against Texas. Heupel still tends to try and force Bell into being what he isn't - a pocket passer - and that doesn't do him any service. But the success of the QB draw this week just makes me pull my hair out for the fact that I don't think it was even tried last week against a defense we knew going in was almost powerless to stop it.

Every game from here on out will be a tense crapshoot. Quite honestly, OU could lose every remaining game, or win every remaining game - with the possible exception of Baylor. I just don't know yet what to expect against Baylor. Thursday game, cautionary defense...I htink that's going to be a very, very hard game for OU to win. We'll see.

18. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Dave I agree with everything you said. Poll wise...we aren't playing for a championship this year. Big 12 title is still in the realm of possibility, but we need people to lose.

With how inconsistent this team is playing we should be thankful for one thing - we are bowl eligible as of today.

So next week we have Tech at home. That is going to be an incredibly tough game.
    Playing at Baylor I think we lose.
    Iowa State at home should be a gimme, but who knows. I still think we win.
    Kansas State is always tough, I'm not really sure how it breaks.
    The trip to Stillwater then looks painful. Maybe we can get an earthquake a bit earlier this time to help knock them off their game?

19. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Rest of the Big 12-2 tonight...

Baylor still has a quarter to go in their destruction of ISU - 58 to 0 right now.

Tech beat WVU 37-27
    OSU beat TCU 24-10

20. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Looking at the rest of the Top 25...looks like OU may end up moving up just from so many losing tonight. So I modify what I said earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I guess I don't understand why anyone is worried about where the Sooners are in the polls. This year's Sooner squad is not a poll-relevant team.
    Because it could certainly have an affect on recruiting.

22. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Because it could certainly have an affect on recruiting.
    I'm wondering how many of those "big time" recruits they had for the TCU game are going to sign with OU.

I know this isn't Big 12 but..... LSU lost to Ole Miss. and again I say

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    I know this isn't Big 12 but..... LSU lost to Ole Miss. and again I say
    I can tell you're feeling bad for Les.

25. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

LOL...what people don't miss Les?

Here is the thread for non-big 12 stuff pretty much: http://www.okctalk.com/sports/35075-...e-year-go.html

Thread Information