Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Metropolitan

Default Re: 8th & Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    paywall is always turned off if you read via cell phone ..
    And you can read via desktop using the mobile subdomain, as well:

The Metropolitan will be largest single-housing project in downtown OKC | NewsOK.com

Default Re: The Metropolitan

Just FYI, full article is available via mobile subdomain:

The Metropolitan will be largest single-housing project in downtown OKC | NewsOK.com

Default Re: 8th & Oklahoma

Wow this development is financed, no TIF needed, ready to go. The boom is back.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The "NON" paywall rears its ugly head. Guess I'll have to sweat it out a couple more days to get the deets.
    That's one reason why I feel this site has a public information responsibility to scoop and dissimenate info as freely as we should choose regardless of the Oklahoman

Default Re: Metropolitan

Drove by Block 42 on my lunch, and looks like this project will use some of the same materials for facade, dark brick, gray aluminum/steel siding, if so, it will look pretty good exiting of S I-235 on Harrison Ave.

I am still fixated on the no TIF thing... Anyone else find that interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I am still fixated on the no TIF thing... Anyone else find that interesting?
    It's great. Let's use the TIF for complicated projects, such as historical rehabs (like the Osler). Basically, it boils down to this: this company is liquid and they know they're going to make money on this project, and they don't want to wait around to start making some money, so they're ready to go. No TIF needed. They did need the assurance of a quiet zone, however, so you could argue that while they did not take TIF money they did benefit from OKC investment on the quiet zone.

The TIF is still a great tool for OKC.

I honestly cannot see any way this ends in anything other than an explosion of investment in the 6th/Broadway/10th/235 block. The night-life in this district ought to become the best in OKC almost overnight.

If I were Steve Mason, I'd start finding a Restauranteur or some people who have some successful bars. With Iguana/S&B/Hillbilly's/Peloton already in the immediate area, no reason that more don't pop up in that area. It is the best area for OKC to have anything remotely similar to Austin's 6th St. (obviously it wouldn't be quite the same scale, and it would be a little more spread out).

8th or really any area along the tracks would be the perfect place for a true bar district, as you don't have any real residential areas to worry about; or schools or churches for that matter.

Imagine 9th street X 10.

We seem to have tons of restaurants and not nearly enough BARS. I don't get it... McNellie's has been a smash success.

I'll second the shortage of BARS. OKC's bar scene is timid.

More than just a lack of bars, the problem is a lack of concentrated bars. OKC has always lagged far behind other cities in local, urban bar districts.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    More than just a lack of bars, the problem is a lack of concentrated bars. OKC has always lagged far behind other cities in local, urban bar districts.
    We need to pick a street to close off at night.

An investment in pedestrian connectivity is seriously going to need to be considered to make it an easier wslk to Auto Alley. Right now, it reminds me of Joe Carter/Russell Perry and First Street. No sidewalks, broken asphalt, and ill designed/worn railroad crossings.

Twisted many an ankle walking back to our studio from The Spy at night.

BNSF has put in all new concrete crossings on the streets that weren't closed down as part of the future quiet zone updates. No concrete pads for sidewalks though...gotta use the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    An investment in pedestrian connectivity is seriously going to need to be considered to make it an easier wslk to Auto Alley. Right now, it reminds me of Joe Carter/Russell Perry and First Street. No sidewalks, broken asphalt, and ill designed/worn railroad crossings.

Twisted many an ankle walking back to our studio from The Spy at night.
    That's why the TIF thing surprises me. Similarly to the Maywood Park projects, a TIF should be used for comprehensive streetscape upgrades for this whole area.

deleted
    Last edited by CurtisJ; 07-21-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: off topic

16. Default Re: Metropolitan

But why should the development be responsible for the scapes? If they don't want to mess with TIF funding and have that baggage, more power to them. The next step is to convince the city to make the changes. If the city wants to do something (ie a TIF district), then let the city do it.

It's not really fair to expect a TIF district any time a development comes along. When it's something as massive as Devon, that sort of influence in construction and taxes speaks. The smaller ones like this (even though it's not exactlly small), can't be expected to play the same ballgame.

The TIF district already exists. This development is choosing not to tap any of those funds to assist with building it. However, the main purpose of a TIF district is to use tax dollars generated in the TIF to fix the public infrastructure in the TIF. The City needs to fix the sidewalks in that area.

18. Default Re: Metropolitan

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I honestly cannot see any way this ends in anything other than an explosion of investment in the 6th/Broadway/10th/235 block. The night-life in this district ought to become the best in OKC almost overnight.

If I were Steve Mason, I'd start finding a Restauranteur or some people who have some successful bars. With Iguana/S&B/Hillbilly's/Peloton already in the immediate area, no reason that more don't pop up in that area. It is the best area for OKC to have anything remotely similar to Austin's 6th St. (obviously it wouldn't be quite the same scale, and it would be a little more spread out).
    I like the old java dave's building on 9th, but couldn't find a number to call... I'm wanting to open something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    So would this project be considered in Deep Deuce or AA?
    Neither, it's the Flatiron district.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Neither, it's the Flatiron district.
    officially it is in AA

21. Default Re: Metropolitan

No, it is Automobile Alley. What is commonly called the Flatiron District is technically a part of Automobile Alley for BID and other purposes anyway, but even if you consider Flatiron its own district, the northern boundary is 6th Street.

22. Default Re: Metropolitan

Boulder beat me to it.

One area that I think will be really great due to The Metropolitan is Sixth street on either side of the railroad tracks. There is so much potential in those cool older buildings for restaurants shops with office space or apartments above. Callin Steve Mason! I found your next development!

Some new renderings and site plans:

25. Default Re: Metropolitan

Man, that is quite large. Exciting. Is that a video wall of some sort, shown in the rendering with a screen cap of a Flaming Lips video? What would that be for?

Edit: oh, on closer review of the plans, it appears to be a billboard visible to southbound traffic on I-235. Is that an existing one (seem to recall one being located there), or a newly-proposed one?

Thread Information