Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Metropolitan

Default Re: 8th & Oklahoma

The "NON" paywall rears its ugly head. Guess I'll have to sweat it out a couple more days to get the deets.

Do we know if this will incorporate any non-residential elements?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Do we know if this will incorporate any non-residential elements?
    From the headline and the first three lines of the article, it doesn't appear so.

Looks good. I echo someone's previous comment, the out of state guys know how to do urban projects.

Initial reaction is I'd like to see a little bit of street front retail, however I don't see that as a big issue. Auto alley is close by with a lot of retail presence.

Default The Metropolitan

New housing development. 330 units with a price tag of $45 million. Not sure if this area is part of Deep Deuce or not but it is north of 6th St between the railroad and I-235.

http://newsok.com/the-metropolitan-w...rticle/3863714

Default Re: The Metropolitan

So would this project be considered in Deep Deuce or AA?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    So would this project be considered in Deep Deuce or AA?
    In my mind it doesn't belong in either. AA is a corridor that only exists along Broadway. Deep Deuce ends at what used to be Flat Iron (which should not be a district either but a cooridor alinged along Harrison). I think this area need a name all its own based on its location - not a made up 'subdivision' name.

Something like this
    Nhari - pronounced like nair: North of Harrison
    Rest: Railroad east

Anyhow, based on the rendering I really like how the buildings hug the sidewalk. I can't tell if any retail is planned but at this distance from other neighborhoods and future retail along Harrison I wouldn't expect much to be part of it - maybe a cafe at most. It will need a neighborhodd center though so a T5/T4 style park should be established around the intersection of 8th and Oklahoma

Not too big on your names. Too manufactured.

It's not deep deuce and it's not auto alley. I'm sure both will claim it though. Auto alley would be the better fit though.

Yes, I like the design and layout, but I am questioning the aluminum/steel siding? I can see the brick, but is that gray material going to be aluminum?

Lord Aeck & Sargent

it really is in the midtown of Okc .... (yes i know it is not in Midtown OKC boundaries)

11. Default Re: 8th & Oklahoma

“We like this site better,” Gilbert said. “We are within walking distance of Bricktown, Deep Deuce, Automobile Alley and MidTown. We have great access to I-235 and 10th Street. We really have great access to everywhere in the city.”
    Exactly what I was saying. EASILY walkable to AA/9th, Deep Deuce, Bricktown and the CBD. Also a very reasonable walk to Midtown. I'm not sure I can think of too many places that are better locations for That type of walking access to all of those places. He also mentions by inference the ridiculously good access to the interstate system. Not mentioned is that the OU medical center and especially the research park are also within reasonable walking distance. It really is the best of both worlds for urban living in a car-based city.

As much as I might personally prefer to live in another part of downtown, if in the past decade you would have told me that you were sitting on a pot of money and asked me where you should build a bunch of multi family, this would have been the place I would have suggested. Not that anybody did, or would LOL.

But I am convinced this thing is going to be outrageously successful with very little marketing effort needed if any.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Yes, I like the design and layout, but I am questioning the aluminum/steel siding? I can see the brick, but is that gray material going to be aluminum?

Lord Aeck & Sargent
    I don't see anything I don't like about it. There isn't anything around it right now that should be emulated so they can establish their own style for the area. Is this the same area Panera Bread was rumored to be looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The "NON" paywall rears its ugly head. Guess I'll have to sweat it out a couple more days to get the deets.
    paywall is always turned off if you read via cell phone ..

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I don't see anything I don't like about it. There isn't anything around it right now that should be emulated so they can establish their own style for the area. Is this the same area Panera Bread was rumored to be looking at?
    Starbucks is rumored for 6th and Oklahoma on the NW corner. This development is on the NE.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    paywall is always turned off if you read via cell phone ..
    Shhhhhhhh...

16. Default Re: The Metropolitan

I'm not a fan of making up districts for everything. I think it probably fits better with AA.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I'm not a fan of making up districts for everything. I think it probably fits better with AA.
    Agreed.

I am curious if this development will fast track development in the areas north of 6th, south of 9th, east of Broadway and west of Oklahoma Avenue. I know Steve Mason owns a couple of properties in that area and the properties along 6th street east of Broadway could be really cool if worked on by the right person. Oh and don't forget about the railroad quiet zone. I think that will help out the most.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    You missed the posts that were deleted. And is was appropriate that they were deleted.
    Ah, my bad. I guess I jumped in too late.

This is such great news.

21. Default Re: The Metropolitan

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Agreed. And not only does it fit better, it is already within the LONGSTANDING boundaries of the Automobile Alley district, which is NOT limited to Broadway. Actually, 9th Street and even what is being called the Flatiron District are BOTH within the boundaries of the Automobile Alley district, for the purposes of the BID, design review, etc. it's not even up for debate.

It's in Auto Alley.

This map (in our Reference and Summary forum) shows the boundaries most commonly used.

The recent Midtown Plan did include AA as well; at the very least you could consider it a specific sub-set of Midtown, which otherwise is pretty massive on it's own.

I'm all for a hybrid name... how about Deuce Alley... I kid, I think Auto Alley is a good district to lump it into. Not a lot of residential in that area so this could be a good way to start marketing a that aspect of AA.

On a side note, not in any way minimizing this announcement because it is awesome, but it's pretty cool that downtown residential announcements have become almost commonplace over the last year or so. We have to be averaging something close to one announcement a month. Who would've thought that was possible a few years ago?

Anyone know Bomasada's track record for completing developments as proposed?

Thread Information