Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sierra Trading Post?

Default Sierra Trading Post?

Anybody know why OKC doesn't have a Sierra Trading Post? It has all the other stores in its group in OKC. Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Home Goods.

Default Re: Sierra Trading Post?

OKC probably isn't the target demographic. I think it would probably do well, just like any other retail that has come to OKC after hesitation, But Sierra is the Marshall's for hiking and camping - two activities that aren't naturally huge in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    OKC probably isn't the target demographic. I think it would probably do well, just like any other retail that has come to OKC after hesitation, But Sierra is the Marshall's for hiking and camping - two activities that aren't naturally huge in OKC.
    Wait, there is a Marshall's style store for hiking and camping?? Why have I not heard of this before!

wait... camping isn't naturally huge in OKC??? maybe it is just my small little group of people i know. but i thought camping was pretty big here.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    wait... camping isn't naturally huge in OKC??? maybe it is just my small little group of people i know. but i thought camping was pretty big here.
    like actual free-camping gear, not RV camping.

It appears from their website that CO. is the only state bordering OK. with a location.

Looking at their store locations should tell you their target demographics. Locations with plenty of natural public lands nearby. Not much in the center of the country.

Looking at their store locations should tell you their target demographics. Locations with plenty of natural public lands nearby. Not much in the center of the country.
    ok. that i will agree with. we just don't fit into where they think their market is. but as for camping, i know a bunch of people that go regularly, and none of them own an RV or rent a cabin when they go. but they do go to places mostly out of Oklahoma to camp, so perhaps that is why they are closer to the places were people go to camp, not where they live.

I have friends that usually go camping ie tent camping a few times a year. When I was younger I did go camping in eastern and south eastern Okla. If folks want to go camping, there are some nice places. Arkansas has some nice places that are not too far of a drive also.

Wow this place looks awesome! I have never heard of them before. I’d love a place this. As others pointed out they are in only one state bordering us but I think they would do well in Oklahoma and Arkansas.

I am going to write them and ask them about an OKC location.

They are also in Ohio and New Jersey. Do those two states really have that much more natural lands and camping than Oklahoma? Granted those two states are like twice Oklahoma’s size in population.

I’m not sure about Kansas, but it seems like Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and even Missouri would be a good expansion for them. I’d bet a store strategically located in OKC would kill it.

Just look at how busy the other stores in the group are, I doubt it would be any different. Lots of outdoors type of people here. I would think one store in the Okc area would draw people from other parts of the state who come to the city for doctors appointments shopping and other reasons If it was close to an interstate maybe it might even catch a few travels.

Ohio has good access to national forest land and the Allegheny Mountains. New York and New Jersey have decent public land once you step back from NYC. As you say population is key there.

Sierra is nice but I wouldn't spend too much time lobbying them. It really is just like a Marshall's but with outdoor gear. Some decent finds can be had occasionally, but if you are looking for something specific you are better off just going to REI. Like Marshall's they don't have consistent stock, just leftover inventory from other retailers and manufacturers so it can be quite random.

Oh, how I despise these types of random/leftover stores.

This pretty much sums up how I feel:

T.J. Maxx Recreates In-Store Shopping Experience With New Website That Randomly Scatters Products All Over The Place

FRAMINGHAM, MA—Hoping to capture the “unique essence” of its discount retail stores for online customers, T.J. Maxx unveiled a new website Wednesday that recreates its in-person shopping experience with a selection of miscellaneous products haphazardly strewn everywhere.

Company CEO Ernie Herrman told reporters that the site—which features a disorganized jumble of closeout name-brand apparel and home fashions alongside a random inventory of neck pillows, pill organizers, cocktail olives, and dozens of other items—would provide users with the same sense of disorientation that regularly overwhelms shoppers at the chain’s nearly 1,200 brick-and-mortar locations.

HangryHippo Guest

The Onion is so good.

Everyone loves ski jackets, rain jackets, and shoes. It is not only for hiking and camping. I just thought we have all the stores in that brand in OKC or Norman. Why not a STP. I would rather have a IKEA. I will say I was disappointed in TJ Maxx in Norman. Not a good selection for guys.

I think the Edmond store is much better for about everything. Not impressed the few times I've stopped in the Norman store.

Thread Information