Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
And yet people still flock to Wal-Mart in droves apparently. I thought they were all sophisticates?
In Charlotte there are options. Wal-Mart also only has a 22.4% marketshare as compared to OKC where they have 60%+. I wouldn't consider that flocking to Wal-Mart in droves. They have a lot of choices there and the market is very fragmented. You cannot even begin to compare the two grocery markets.

Grocery stores is one area where the situation in OKC really is bad and there is no disputing that. In Charlotte, no matter where you are in the metro you have a multitude of quality choices within an easy drive. From where I live, within 5 minutes I had a Harris Teeter, Costco, SuperTarget, Food Lion, and Wal-Mart. The only time I ever had to drive more than 5 minutes to get groceries is if I wanted to go to Trader Joe's. In OKC, unless you want to go to a Wal-Mart or a dirty, smelly Homeland, you'll have to drive a great distance - much farther than you should have to in a major city - to get to a quality store. It's that way here even in "nice" areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Every time I'm in the traditional grocery stores here (which is less and less), I notice that the huge percentage of patrons are women 45 and older. Their clientele is rapidly aging and their market share is shrinking every day.
I find that to be the general rule, even in Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets. The truth is Millennials are far more apt to just eat out than they are to cook. Older people who own homes and have families are more likely to cook themselves so they will spend more at the grocery store.