Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 34 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality grocery stores in OKC

Default Quality grocery stores in OKC

One of the biggest things people complain about in OKC, especially newcomers, is how few quality grocers there are compared to other cities. This isn't a thread to complain about that but rather a list of grocery stores in the metro that are quality and above standard so that newcomers will know where to go if Wal-Mart doesn't suit their needs. Here are mine and feel free to add more if I miss any.

Whole Foods - Intersection of Classen and Western
    Sprouts - 63rd and May
    Buy For Less - Portland and NW Expy
    Homeland - N May and Britton
    Homeland - Bryant and Danforth (Edmond)
    Uptown Grocery - Covell and Kelly (Edmond)
    Crest - Santa Fe and W 15th St (Edmond)
    Crest - SW 104th and May

Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

The Homeland on Bryant and Danforth is debatable. It is above standard for OKC I suppose.

What is the criteria?

I think in terms of a Ralph's or Kroger's as as good middle market standard in terms of selection, prices and finishes.

It's hard to compare the first two but if you compare how nicely the stores are finished, most those stores on your list do not compare well with Ralph's and Kroger.

The Edmond Crest and Homeland - definitely not. This is the Edmond Crest -- looks far worse from the outside:

And Sprouts has fresh produce and good prices, but their interiors are very basic.

So, that leaves Whole Foods (which are nice everywhere), Uptown Grocery, one Homeland, one Crest and one Buy for Less. For an area of 1.4 million people!!

Pete, I agree.

The only three stores in the entire OKC metro that really compares with the standard in other cities are the Crest on SW 104th, Homeland on N May, and Uptown Grocery. The others however still are well above standard for OKC and are alright alternatives to Wal-Mart.

I'm not prone to say much nice about anything South of our border, but if the very fine folks at H-E-B could find a way to open a Central Market in the metro, I would be forever grateful. I would never say anything bad about texas again...

That being said, I enjoy Sprouts, Crest, and recently started shopping at Buy For Less when I'm over that way.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Pete, I agree.

The only three stores in the entire OKC metro that really compares with the standard in other cities are the Crest on SW 104th, Homeland on N May, and Uptown Grocery. The others however still are well above standard for OKC and are alright alternatives to Wal-Mart.

The Homeland at SW 104th and Penn really spruced things up after Crest went in. They added fresh sushi, fresh olive bar, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    The Homeland at SW 104th and Penn really spruced things up after Crest went in. They added fresh sushi, fresh olive bar, etc
    But they reduced the number of checkers, apparently quit carrying some stuff I used to buy, and that cold case in the back that keeps defrosting really bothers me.

On the other hand, since everyone else is apparently at Crest; then, I can usually get in and out pretty quickly as long as I use the self-checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    How is that Homeland doing? Aesthetically its one of the nicer Homeland's but with Crest so close it must be suffering.

The Edmond Crest doesn't have an upscale feel by any means, but it definitely wouldn't be out of place elsewhere like most grocery stores here. Many of the older Kroger's have that look/feel to them.

I thought Reasors was suppose to open in Edmond?? I would love to see Reasors in OKC metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    I thought Reasors was suppose to open in Edmond?? I would love to see Reasors in OKC metro.
    It's being held up either by construction on Bryant or by NIMBYs. There hasn't been a report on it for a while so I am not sure.

There's a new Crest FreshMarket (their upscale version) under construction in University North Park in Norman.

Also in Norman is the national chain Natural Grocers, which isn't so much upscale as it is organic and health focused.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    There's a new Crest FreshMarket (their upscale version) under construction in University North Park in Norman.

Also in Norman is the national chain Natural Grocers, which isn't so much upscale as it is organic and health focused.
    I'm hoping their next one is in NW OKC. Gaillardia or near Quail Springs would be perfect. There is a lot of money in that area and right now pretty much the only options are the Supercenter on N Penn or SuperTarget. Neither are what I would consider quality options.

Homeland in Yukon, at I-40 and Czech Hall is good and clean. Much cleaner than their other store a mile away at I-40 and Mustang Road.

Seems like in Oklahoma City, high prices means quality. Any other cities like that?

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    Seems like in Oklahoma City, high prices means quality. Any other cities like that?
    In OKC, for most people it's pretty much Wal-Mart or a higher priced alternative like Whole Foods. Other cities are not like that because they have more options. Ideally, OKC should have three tiers of grocery stores.

1) - Wal-Mart Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets
    2) - Local value, no frills chain(s)
    3) - Major mid-market chain(s)
    4) - Specialty/upscale/organic stores (Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe's)

OKC is weak in #2 and #3 is pretty much non-existent, leaving #4 to be the 'quality' alternative to Wal-Mart.

17. Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

With Kroger coming into Oklahoma City I am sure that all the others will step up their game. Their stores in Texas are pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    With Kroger coming into Oklahoma City I am sure that all the others will step up their game. Their stores in Texas are pretty nice.
    Is Kroger coming in? If so, that's the first I've heard of it. I highly doubt the truth of that unless you know something that hasn't been announced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    When is that happening? Are you sure they're coming in? How do you know this? Where are they eyeballing?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    When is that happening? Are you sure they're coming in? How do you know this? Where are they eyeballing?
    I haven't seen any press releases they are coming in. I hope it's the case though but I doubt it until I see more concrete evidence.

Kroger was a huge contributor to the Moore tornado relief effort.

We shop fairly regularly at both the crest on s may and the crest in edmond. I really do nor see much difference in terms of space, number and variety of items, etc. The may store is more appealing inside and outside, but it is also much newer. I am not real sure of the differences otherwise. I believe they are very comparable.

And yes, we are very much fans of Central Market and HEB.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I'm hoping their next one is in NW OKC. Gaillardia or near Quail Springs would be perfect. There is a lot of money in that area and right now pretty much the only options are the Supercenter on N Penn or SuperTarget. Neither are what I would consider quality options.
    It is really surprising to me that that part of town still doesn't have any better options than what you listed. I'd be really surprised if Crest doesn't build up there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    It is really surprising to me that that part of town still doesn't have any better options than what you listed. I'd be really surprised if Crest doesn't build up there soon.
    I agree. Its pitiful that in probably the nicest suburban area in the metro you are forced to either shop at Wal-Mart or drive to Buy For Less on NW Expressway, which is a good drive from that area. People aren't exaggerating when they talk about how dismal the grocery selection is in OKC. I don't think there is any other city in the country in the same situation.

I know Crest's strategy is slow expansion to prevent having to take on debt, but in my opinion this would be the perfect time for them to blanket the metro with Crest Fresh Market stores. They compete well against Wal-Mart and its just a matter of time before the liquor laws are changed. Crest doing so would seal their place as the dominant mid-market grocer in this market and prevent another chain from coming in and filling that niche if/when the laws are changed. It would also force Homeland to start investing in their stores or be left behind. Then again, I am just a commoner venting on a message board.

^ Nice seeing you over here,

It would be a godsend if Kroger came in. It would be awesome to have some central markets come in. Food is a huge issue with me and OKC. I just can't stand all the craplands, walmarts, and targets.

Thread Information