Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 826
  1. #26

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    It would be a godsend if Kroger came in. It would be awesome to have some central markets come in. Food is a huge issue with me and OKC. I just can't stand all the craplands, walmarts, and targets.
    I know what you mean. It's just one of many quality of life issues that really bug me about it here.

    Unfortunately, most of this is probably wishful thinking. I doubt H-E-B or Kroger will ever open in OKC without a change in the liquor laws (which I am not holding my breath for). That doesn't mean that Reasor's won't come in or that Crest won't build more Fresh Markets.

  2. #27

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Crest already is on that side of town, Hefner & Rockwell. I don't see them putting another location up there without closing that one.

    You're absolutely right though, that area along Memorial should be attracting all sorts of higher end businesses. There is so much land and it's one of the reasons why I don't really feel like moving from this side of town. I'm holding out hope that they build a Lifetime Fitness on Memorial.

  3. #28

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Crest already is on that side of town, Hefner & Rockwell. I don't see them putting another location up there without closing that one.

    You're absolutely right though, that area along Memorial should be attracting all sorts of higher end businesses. There is so much land and it's one of the reasons why I don't really feel like moving from this side of town. I'm holding out hope that they build a Lifetime Fitness on Memorial.
    True. I would say a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market is more likely for Gaillardia.

  4. #29

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    You mean as where they would shop? I think most Gaillardia residents (from a small sample size of folks I know and work with) do their grocery shopping at Target on Penn. It's not a bad place, but it's not like a good grocery only store.

    The WMNM across from Crest on Rockwell is a nice, clean store.

  5. Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I know what you mean. It's just one of many quality of life issues that really bug me about it here.

    Unfortunately, most of this is probably wishful thinking. I doubt H-E-B or Kroger will ever open in OKC without a change in the liquor laws (which I am not holding my breath for). That doesn't mean that Reasor's won't come in or that Crest won't build more Fresh Markets.
    Kroger operates in states with similar liquor laws as Oklahoma. The have locations in Kansas, for example. Pete posted a map of states that have Kroger locations.

    Now, before we hail Kroger or HEB as the 'taj mahal' of grocery stores, may I remind you that both have poorly maintained locations. A good example is the Kroger on Loop 336 South and I-45 in Conroe. We avoid that location at all costs. But even the Signature Kroger - to me - is nothing more than a dressed-up Albertsons. Now the new HEB markets on the other hand are very nice, but expensive.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

  6. #31

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Dillon's are the Kroger owned stores in Kansas. They have the liquor store attached to the grocery store in most locations I think.

  7. #32

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Dillon's are the Kroger owned stores in Kansas. They have the liquor store attached to the grocery store in most locations I think.
    I also doubt Wichita has as many Wal-Marts per capita either. That's probably why they are able to support Kroger.

  8. #33

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    An interesting recent survey about supermarket chains and a good reason to hope that Trader Joe's is seriously looking here.

    Trader Joe?s Tops List of Best Grocery Store Chains | The Exchange - Yahoo! Finance

  9. #34

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Just got back from a day of shopping in Tulsa. I was shocked at the amount of natural and organic grocery stores. OKC has a lot of catching up to do!

    Tulsa also just got a Natural Grocers | Your Real Natural Grocery Store Would love to see one here.

  10. #35

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Just got back from a day of shopping in Tulsa. I was shocked at the amount of natural and organic grocery stores. OKC has a lot of catching up to do!

    Tulsa also just got a Natural Grocers | Your Real Natural Grocery Store Would love to see one here.
    We have a Natural Grocers in Norman. Personally, I think we have plenty of the small natural and organic grocery stores. What we need is some more Whole Foods and a Central Market or Wegmans.

  11. #36

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Just got back from a day of shopping in Tulsa. I was shocked at the amount of natural and organic grocery stores. OKC has a lot of catching up to do!

    Tulsa also just got a Natural Grocers | Your Real Natural Grocery Store Would love to see one here.
    I agree. Tulsa is worlds ahead in this area as well as many other areas. I don't see anything changing here in the near future. Wal-Mart has too much control over this market.

    OKC would be a perfect expansion market for H-E-B but we can wish all we want, it isn't happening.

  12. #37

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. Tulsa is worlds ahead in this area as well as many other areas. I don't see anything changing here in the near future. Wal-Mart has too much control over this market.

    OKC would be a perfect expansion market for H-E-B but we can wish all we want, it isn't happening.

    I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart, but I don't understand how they have "control" over the market. A high-quality grocery store like Whole Foods or Central Market is not really competing for the same customers. I think the problem is the perception that people here will not spend a little extra to have a better quality experience. Frankly, I can understand that perception because this does seem to be a common mentality here relative to other places I have lived. That said, I do think there are enough people in the OKC metro and in cities like Norman and Edmond who would be willing to pay higher prices for better products/service.

  13. #38

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart, but I don't understand how they have "control" over the market. A high-quality grocery store like Whole Foods or Central Market is not really competing for the same customers. I think the problem is the perception that people here will not spend a little extra to have a better quality experience. Frankly, I can understand that perception because this does seem to be a common mentality here relative to other places I have lived. That said, I do think there are enough people in the OKC metro and in cities like Norman and Edmond who would be willing to pay higher prices for better products/service.
    Wal-Mart's marketshare in OKC is over 60%. In most cities, even where they are the leading grocery, its only between 30-40%. When Wal-Mart gets over 60% of every grocery dollar spent in the market, it makes competing chains very nervous about trying to enter the market. While other, less Wal-Mart heavy markets can support better grocery (like Tulsa and Wichita) with 3.2 beer and no wine, because of Wal-Mart's overall dominance in the OKC market, wine sales are a MUST if any competing chain is to enter because that gives them a profit cushion as well as leverage against Wal-Mart.

    And yes, there is also the perception that people here won't support better options. Tulsa, Wichita, Little Rock, etc don't suffer from that perception. I am sure Wal-Mart's 60%+ marketshare solidifies this perception. Big retailers look only at numbers and don't take into account the reason behind those numbers, and numbers don't make OKC look very good.

  14. Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    And yes, there is also the perception that people here won't support better options. Tulsa, Wichita, Little Rock, etc don't suffer from that perception. I am sure Wal-Mart's 60%+ marketshare solidifies this perception. Big retailers look only at numbers and don't take into account the reason behind those numbers, and numbers don't make OKC look very good.
    Perhaps another component is that people in Oklahoma recognize that much of that difference is perceived, and that at the end of the day that a map is still a mop, a can of soup is a can of soup, and a package of Oscar Mayer hot dogs is still a package of Oscar Mayer hot dogs regardless of whether it came from a trendy, presumably upscale store, or the no-name market down the street. I, personally, am not particularly concerned if folks look down their nose at me if they note my grocery receipt doesn't say "Expensive Trendy Mart" on it.

    I realize there is something to be said for "better options," but that term is a wide street with lots of curves. For some, it just means a cleaner store. For others, it means selection. For still others, it means "out-of-the-box" notions like a meat market, or a fish counter. We have to be very careful to differentiate practical, real differences that truly provide value versus notions that are really just nothing more than snob appeal.

  15. #40

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Perhaps another component is that people in Oklahoma recognize that much of that difference is perceived, and that at the end of the day that a map is still a mop, a can of soup is a can of soup, and a package of Oscar Mayer hot dogs is still a package of Oscar Mayer hot dogs regardless of whether it came from a trendy, presumably upscale store, or the no-name market down the street. I, personally, am not particularly concerned if folks look down their nose at me if they note my grocery receipt doesn't say "Expensive Trendy Mart" on it.

    I realize there is something to be said for "better options," but that term is a wide street with lots of curves. For some, it just means a cleaner store. For others, it means selection. For still others, it means "out-of-the-box" notions like a meat market, or a fish counter. We have to be very careful to differentiate practical, real differences that truly provide value versus notions that are really just nothing more than snob appeal.
    I get what you are saying and its partially true. However, next time you are in Dallas, go into a Central Market or Kroger. Next time you are in Tulsa, go to a Reasor's or Fresh Market. Then try to say wishing there were options like those in OKC is only for snob appeal. Stores like H-E-B aren't any more expensive than Wal-Mart yet offer a higher quality product, more selection, and a much better shopping experience. I'm sorry, I get angry every time I have to go to a Supercenter, especially when its 6PM and only two cashiers working and a line stretching way back, and I don't think I'm the only one who gets fed up with it.

  16. #41

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I get what you are saying and its partially true. However, next time you are in Dallas, go into a Central Market or Kroger. Next time you are in Tulsa, go to a Reasor's or Fresh Market. Then try to say wishing there were options like those in OKC is only for snob appeal. Stores like H-E-B aren't any more expensive than Wal-Mart yet offer a higher quality product, more selection, and a much better shopping experience. I'm sorry, I get angry every time I have to go to a Supercenter, especially when its 6PM and only two cashiers working and a line stretching way back, and I don't think I'm the only one who gets fed up with it.
    Then why do you keep going there?

    I don't think you will find too many people here who think OKC's grocery market is up to snuff with other similarly sized cities, but you have other choices besides WalMart if you are willing to drive a bit further. Many people have listed other stores that offer much higher quality, so I am not going to rehash them here.

    But if you are a glutton for punishment, by all means keep going. I'm just becoming very unsympathetic to your complaints if you continue to support the one thing you hate when you clearly have other options.

  17. #42

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Perhaps another component is that people in Oklahoma recognize that much of that difference is perceived, and that at the end of the day that a map is still a mop, a can of soup is a can of soup, and a package of Oscar Mayer hot dogs is still a package of Oscar Mayer hot dogs regardless of whether it came from a trendy, presumably upscale store, or the no-name market down the street. I, personally, am not particularly concerned if folks look down their nose at me if they note my grocery receipt doesn't say "Expensive Trendy Mart" on it.

    I realize there is something to be said for "better options," but that term is a wide street with lots of curves. For some, it just means a cleaner store. For others, it means selection. For still others, it means "out-of-the-box" notions like a meat market, or a fish counter. We have to be very careful to differentiate practical, real differences that truly provide value versus notions that are really just nothing more than snob appeal.
    Yup.

    Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Then why do you keep going there?

    I don't think you will find too many people here who think OKC's grocery market is up to snuff with other similarly sized cities, but you have other choices besides WalMart if you are willing to drive a bit further. Many people have listed other stores that offer much higher quality, so I am not going to rehash them here.

    But if you are a glutton for punishment, by all means keep going. I'm just becoming very unsympathetic to your complaints if you continue to support the one thing you hate when you clearly have other options.
    Yup. bchris02: You're voting FOR Walmart every time you purchase something there. There are plenty of alternatives and there are better alternatives.

  18. #43

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    I don't understand why Reasor's isn't in OKC?? It would be a great place for a store like Reasor's.

  19. #44

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    I don't understand why Reasor's isn't in OKC?? It would be a great place for a store like Reasor's.
    Gentlemen's agreement with Homeland?

  20. #45

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Funny thing is Homeland had a location in Tulsa. I think they closed it last year. So I doubt they have a gentlemen's agreement.

  21. #46

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Funny thing is Homeland had a location in Tulsa. I think they closed it last year. So I doubt they have a gentlemen's agreement.
    It depends if in contract if there are no locations within a 100 miles or you have to wait 10 years after they close in order to build.

  22. Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Wasn't Reasor's in Oklahoma City at Northwest Expressway and Portland for a while? They had a very nice organic section. I think they closed down after about a year.
    C. T.

  23. #48

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Wasn't Reasor's in Oklahoma City at Northwest Expressway and Portland for a while? They had a very nice organic section. I think they closed down after about a year.
    C. T.
    C.T.

    I don't believe so. Maybe you're thinking of Baker's? That store (now Buy For Less) was a Baker's for awhile when Fleming owned them about a decade before their collapse.

  24. #49

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. Tulsa is worlds ahead in this area as well as many other areas.
    Then move to Tulsa. You're always spouting this and the Wal-Mart thing.

    As far as having more Whole Foods...that place is a joke, and they making a killing off the sheeple that shop there.

  25. #50

    Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    C.T.

    I don't believe so. Maybe you're thinking of Baker's? That store (now Buy For Less) was a Baker's for awhile when Fleming owned them about a decade before their collapse.
    I think it was built as a Baker's, which was out of Nebraska IIRC. I think they sold out to Fleming, wasn't it a Food For Less for awhile before it became Buy For Less?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 243
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 08:51 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 04:11 AM
  3. Two new organic grocery stores
    By Swake2 in forum Tulsa & Suburbs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 07:01 PM
  5. Grocery Stores/Markets stepping up their game??
    By foodiefan in forum Restaurants & Bars
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 12:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO