Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality grocery stores in OKC

Blog Entries

Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    That was the BMW lot before it moved up near Edmond. The old Wiley Post hanger was to the north of it, the original Cooper Lincoln-Mercury lot was everything between Berkshire and the old Albertson's parking lot.
    Wiley Post Hanger? Where was that? Not out by Wiley Post Airport?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Pete, have you heard anything about Publix maybe moving in to the market? In the Journal Record article about the I-40 and Czech Hall Road development, it said the companies boasts of relationships with Publix Supermarkets and a bunch of other companies we already have in the metro (Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Target, Academy, Walgreen's, Best Buy, Dollar General, Ross, Old Navy, etc).
    Publix would be a dream come true for the OKC market. It is among the best of the mid-range grocers and I would easily place them above Kroger. It's stronghold is in the Southeastern United States though and they aren't yet in any of the states bordering Oklahoma. It would surprise me to see them come here.

Pete, have you heard anything about Publix maybe moving in to the market? In the Journal Record article about the I-40 and Czech Hall Road development, it said the companies boasts of relationships with Publix Supermarkets and a bunch of other companies we already have in the metro (Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Target, Academy, Walgreen's, Best Buy, Dollar General, Ross, Old Navy, etc).
    I looked at the developer's website and primarily they operate centers in the southeast, which would explain their relationship with Publix.

But for a grocery chain to move in, they would have to have distribution facilities nearby, which is why we will only get WinCo after they first went to DFW and then opened a distribution facility there.

We would have a better chance for Kroger, but I'd put that at 1% vs. .01% for Publix. Those mid-markets grocers are getting killed at the high end by Whole Foods and the like, and at the low end my Costco, WinCo and Walmart.

Blog Entries

What about Dillon's? They are in Wichita. Or is that what you are referring to as Kroger? They are a division of Kroger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    What about Dillon's? They are in Wichita. Or is that what you are referring to as Kroger? They are a division of Kroger.
    Kroger (or some brand owned by them) is in Kansas, Arkansas, and Texas. It wouldn't be unthinkable for them to expand into Oklahoma.

Blog Entries

Using the criteria that they are already in or near the area, of the top 10 chains (according to Consumer Reports) these would be new to OKC (number 5 is Sprouts...already here):

2. Trader Joe's (408 stores in 30 states)
    Consumer Reports Reader score: 87. Best service, Good perishables, Best prices, Best cleanliness

4. Costco (648 stores worldwide)
    Consumer Reports Reader score: 84. Okay service, Best perishables, Best prices, Good cleanliness

10. WinCo Foods (93 stores in Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Texas)
    Consumer Reports Reader score: 81. Okay service, Okay perishables, Best prices, Okay cleanliness

And, for those that think Walmart is the bottom of the barrel, CR says everyone thinks so too:

The bottom five on Consumer Reports' ranking:
    51: Pick 'n Save: Reader score: 72
    52. Acme: Reader score: 70
    53. Pathmark: Reader score: 70
    54. Shaw's: Reader score: 69
    55. Wal-Mart Supercenter: Reader score: 67

Best Supermarkets In America - Business Insider

I've enjoyed shopping at Market Street since I've been in DFW. The fresh produce/meat quality is rather high and the boxed/canned goods are way cheaper than Whole Foods/Central Market/Sprouts.

Market Street

You have to think that Reasor's may be the chain most likely to come to the the OKC area.

We know they already took a hard look at Edmond, so they are interested. That deal fell through due to opposition to the development, not them pulling out.

And obviously, they already have local distribution facilities.

If I was Reasor's I would enter the market and strategically place locations in order to drive out Homeland. They have already run Homeland out of Tulsa and if they played the game right they could do it in OKC.

The shopping center at 33rd and blvd is looking more and more like its being set up for a grocery store. I could see a Reasors going in there. I could also see a Fresh Market. About a year and a half ago, I spoke with the store manager of the Tulsa store. He said that they had just signed a lease on a location in the Okc metro area but would not tell me the area. I'm hoping for one of the two.

I would also setting for a Trader Joes going in there. Hopefully some news soon.

You also have to think a lot of these grocers are affiliated with Associated Wholesale Grocers which is a pretty tight knit group of folks. Reasors makes sense moving into OKC but since they use AWG would they think they'd be stepping foot on their fellow affiliates?

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    You also have to think a lot of these grocers are affiliated with Associated Wholesale Grocers which is a pretty tight knit group of folks. Reasors makes sense moving into OKC but since they use AWG would they think they'd be stepping foot on their fellow affiliates?
    Reasor's and Homeland co-existed in Tulsa for a long time so I don't see why they couldn't here. Just in the past year, Homeland closed their last Tulsa location.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I would also setting for a Trader Joes going in there. Hopefully some news soon.
    I think its too large for a Trader Joe's. They are usually about the size of an Aldi.

The land there at Britton & May was an airfield back in the 20-50's, the hanger was part of that. Wiley Post airport was moved out to Rockwell years later.
    WileyPostHanger.com

Their website also shows that they have a relationship with Sprouts. That could also be a possibility.

The original Wiley Post airport was on the NW corner of Britton and May. It was established originally for Post himself. The one now using that name was originally Tulakes Airport, established in 1942 as the replacement OKC commercial field, after the Army Air Corps took over Will Rogers Field for use as a training site.

The original hangar was carefully dismantled when the original Wiley Post was razed for development in the mid-50s, and I believe it's stored at the new Wiley Post in hopes of evenrually rebuilding it there as part of an OKC Air Museum...

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    I'd feel bad if something major came into downtown. Not for consumers but for Native Roots. I truly feel like they've done some much to help get things started.

Just saying my peace. I'm partial to the early adopter.
    I certainly understand that and wish them well. I think they can continue to serve a very important niche but they are not in a position to serve all of the basic needs of a vastly expanding downtown population.

Not sure if this is news to anyone, but I work as a department manager at a store here in the city, and I was told the new WinCo stores are being supplied by AWG, at least at first. Apparently this was done behind the backs of the AWG stores here, and it pissed off Binkowski and now the Buy For Less stores will be serviced by Affiliated out of Nebraska or Kansas. This could mean that a chain could move in without needing access to their own distribution center.

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    Not sure if this is news to anyone, but I work as a department manager at a store here in the city, and I was told the new WinCo stores are being supplied by AWG, at least at first. Apparently this was done behind the backs of the AWG stores here, and it pissed off Binkowski and now the Buy For Less stores will be serviced by Affiliated out of Nebraska or Kansas. This could mean that a chain could move in without needing access to their own distribution center.
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that perspective.

Regarding Native Roots, it seems the like scenario will be an Uptown Market on 10th & Hudson a few years down the road.

Even in that situation, I believe NR could still thrive, as that is still a fair distance between the two and of course, they would be very different types of stores.

Hopefully there will be enough population in Deep Deuce and Bricktown to continue to support NR. I'm sure plenty of people in those areas would still strongly prefer to stroll over and get fresh items, rather than having to get in their car (or streetcar) and go to Midtown.

So does this mean somebody like Kroger entering the market is more of a possibility?

Wow I'm surprised that's leaked about Buy For Less. I've heard the same and Hanks supposed to make a decision at the first of the year. Probably conveniently after he gets his royalty check from AWG of course.

Speaking of a terrible grocery store, the 18th and Classen Homeland has nothing on Whittaker's on 10th. Whittaker's is probably the worst grocery store I have ever been in. I am not sure how it stays open yet there are always cars in the parking lot.

In regards to OKC's grocery scene, I think probably the most unfortunate turn of events in recent history was Albertson's leaving the market and their locations getting taken over by Homeland. Many of the former Albertson's locations seem like they were once nice grocery stores that Homeland has simply let go. Had they remained Albertson's or went to another company that actually cared, I am sure the situation would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Speaking of a terrible grocery store, the 18th and Classen Homeland has nothing on Whittaker's on 10th. Whittaker's is probably the worst grocery store I have ever been in. I am not sure how it stays open yet there are always cars in the parking lot.

In regards to OKC's grocery scene, I think probably the most unfortunate turn of events in recent history was Albertson's leaving the market and their locations getting taken over by Homeland. Many of the former Albertson's locations seem like they were once nice grocery stores that Homeland has simply let go. Had they remained Albertson's or went to another company that actually cared, I am sure the situation would be much better.
    Heh, I go to the George's Liquor Warehouse next to it occasionally, and Whittaker's is *always* busy, never been in there, no need to, but they must be super-cheap, that's gotta be the only reason they're still in business.

As far as Albertson's leaving being the most unfortunate event, it was probably that along with Safeway leaving and letting their stores to go Homeland also. Not sure when all of that happened, as we left in 1995, but grocery-ing in OKC was on a downhill slide before then (used to walk to the Safeway on 63rd/May before it was a Sprouts/Half-Price Books, and it was a good store, I definitely remember that).

Thread Information