Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality grocery stores in OKC

Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The current situation is due to the fact that a group of locals spun off from Safeway and formed Homeland, and thus OKC's dominant chain was completely insulated from all the great evolutionary changes that happened with Safeway, Kroger and the others. Homeland stayed mired in the 1980's and then Walmart came in and pretty much took over.

We are only now starting to recover.
    Interesting. I was an employee of Safeway when they changed over to Homeland and continued to work for Homeland until July, 1995. I was a part-timer attending college so I had no knowledge (or really even any interest in) the grocery business but I was always amazed when I would go to Safeways in other states and they were nice, attractive stores. Heck, I thought Safeway had gone out of business when Homeland took over and was surprised to find open Safeway stores in other states.

Most Safeways these days are comparable to Kroger or the other better chains.

Miles and miles ahead of Homeland.

This story ran in the DO yesterday: Multiple new grocery stores are coming to Oklahoma City | News OK
    Is it possible that the "significant grocer" with property under contract is TJ's? I'd like to dream it's so.

I hope it's TJ's but "under contract" implies a sale, and that is usually not the way Trader Joe's does business.

5. Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

I wonder what he is referring to in his chat today?

11:04 Comment From CeCe
    With the announcement of multiple new grocery stores opening in the Metro, I was surprised none of them would be opening Downtown. Any idea as to why they see market potential in OKC Metro but not the Core?
    11:04 Steve Lackmeyer: Just wait... a deal is coming ....

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I wonder what he is referring to in his chat today?
    Uptown Grocery for Midtown somewhere down the line.

Uptown Grocery for Midtown somewhere down the line.
    Wow that'd be great

I like(dislike) how that article said Walmart is defending their home turf with multiple Sam's, neighborhood markets, and super Walmarts. I really hope quality grocery stores see OKC as an option to steal some of that 65% share from Walmart. So far, those that have come in here I believe have been pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    I like(dislike) how that article said Walmart is defending their home turf with multiple Sam's, neighborhood markets, and super Walmarts. I really hope quality grocery stores see OKC as an option to steal some of that 65% share from Walmart. So far, those that have come in here I believe have been pleasantly surprised.
    There are a lot of people who are fed up with Wal-Mart but in OKC, there are many pockets of the city where they are the best choice. When the alternative is a Homeland like the one on N Classen or the one on N May and 122nd, then a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market doesn't look too bad. OKC isn't completely devoid of good grocery stores like it was a few years ago, but they are still few and far between and many quality parts of the city are stuck with dumpy stores. I really like how WinCo is targeting the Supercenters and hopefully they are successful at taking a significant chunk of marketshare. Newer studies say that one-stop shopping, the cornerstone of the Supercenter strategy, is not as important to consumers as it was a decade ago. That will really help stores like WinCo compete.

As for new Wal-Marts, most of the ones I am familiar with being built are in underserved areas such as S Sooner Rd. That area has needed a grocery store for a long time so the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market will be welcome.

10. Default Re: Quality grocery stores in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It doesn't seem like all the other options affect the King Soopers (Kroger) here in the Denver area, they are packed all the time. Safeway and Albertson's on the other hand are moderately busy to slow most of the time. The same thing happened in Austin where HEB was busy all the time and Randall's (Safeway) was always slow. Albertson's had already vacated the market before I moved.

King Soopers also has their Fresh Fare concept in South Denver which is kind of a Whole Foods/Sprouts hybrid. They did announce a new Whole Foods flagship store (about 56,000 sf) next to Union Station.
    King Soopers has always been king of the Denver market. It was the only place I would shop at.

Just heard today that the Save-A-Lot would be on the NE side, which is great as there is so much need in that area.

Somewhere around 23rd & Kelly.

That would be a good fit for the area, they need new grocery stores. Maybe an Aldi's too would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    That would be a good fit for the area, they need new grocery stores. Maybe an Aldi's too would be nice.
    Don't forget the Uptown Market that is already planned there.

Went by Health Food Center today, and they seem to be rebranding as Green Acres Market and are adding more organic foods and a deli

Natural organic foods in Wichita | Green Acres

Just saw some plans come out for bid for a Uptown Grocery store going in at 9515 N May Avenue. Existing car lot(?) will be demolished and the store will be built there. The docks and pharmacy drive-thru will be accessed off of Berkshire Way with the parking lot and front door on the South side.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_M View Post
    Just saw some plans come out for bid for a Uptown Grocery store going in at 9515 N May Avenue. Existing car lot(?) will be demolished and the store will be built there. The docks and pharmacy drive-thru will be accessed off of Berkshire Way with the parking lot and front door on the South side.
    I wonder if this is the "significant grocer" referred to in the article? This has been known about on OKCTalk for 6+ months now.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I wonder if this is the "significant grocer" referred to in the article? This has been known about on OKCTalk for 6+ months now.
    I'm not sure, but there has been a sign up at the property stating, that Uptown Grocery was being built there. The signage has been there for maybe 4-6 weeks. The location itself, was the old Jackie Cooper Lincoln/Mercury dealership, then later on BMW lot. (Just North of May/Britton on West side of May.) The dealership has actually been vacant for a long time..(almost 10 years??) and the buildings were leveled a long time ago as well. I would find it hard to believe that this would be the "significant grocer" coming soon...as I'm pretty sure plans for this location have been around for a good while.

Not my neck of the woods so I didn't know about the building being gone or the sign. At any rate project is out to bid for General Contractors for the end of the month so construction should start in December and be complete April - June 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_M View Post
    Not my neck of the woods so I didn't know about the building being gone or the sign. At any rate project is out to bid for General Contractors for the end of the month so construction should start in December and be complete April - June 2015.
    That's surprising to me because there is work going on at that site right now. It looks like drainage work. Maybe that is seperate?

Why would Uptown be the significant grocer if they are already in the state? Didn't it say out of state?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    That's surprising to me because there is work going on at that site right now. It looks like drainage work. Maybe that is seperate?
    The grading, excavation, water, sewer, and storm lines are listed as Existing Conditions so you may be correct and this portion has been contracted separately.

That was the BMW lot before it moved up near Edmond. The old Wiley Post hanger was to the north of it, the original Cooper Lincoln-Mercury lot was everything between Berkshire and the old Albertson's parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why would Uptown be the significant grocer if they are already in the state? Didn't it say out of state?
    It said "new-to-market." I assumed that meant new to the OKC area but not necissarily new-to-state, meaning it could be Reasor's. Uptown would only be a possibility of the writer of the article meant "new to OKC proper," being that there are no Uptown Groceries currently in OKC itself.

It said "new-to-market." I assumed that meant new to the OKC area but not necissarily new-to-state, meaning it could be Reasor's. Uptown would only be a possibility of the writer of the article meant "new to OKC proper," being that there are no Uptown Groceries currently in OKC itself.
    I would think the market would encase the metro, but maybe not.

"Under contract" implies a sale and that is not TJ's m.o.

Not sure who it is but I'll see what I can find out.

Save-A-Lot is really bad -- I'd rather they stay out of OKC.
    Pete, have you heard anything about Publix maybe moving in to the market? In the Journal Record article about the I-40 and Czech Hall Road development, it said the companies boasts of relationships with Publix Supermarkets and a bunch of other companies we already have in the metro (Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Target, Academy, Walgreen's, Best Buy, Dollar General, Ross, Old Navy, etc).

Thread Information