Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Living

Default Downtown Living

This may not be the right place for this question, but oh well. I was wondering how many people on this forum live downtown. I see a bunch of regulars post on here a lot about their ideas on projects and things of that nature, but wasn't really sure how many live downtown. I am moving downtown in August and would like to meet as many 'neighbors' as possible. So, if you wouldn't mind, post where you live, what you like/dislike about living there, and maybe some advice for a new downtowner.

Default Re: Downtown Living

Do you know where you're moving? I don't live in Oklahoma right now, but I lived at the Claremont at 12th & Walker a couple years ago and absolutely loved it.

I live downtown in the Brownstones. I like all the activity in Deep Deuce - there are always people out and about - walking dogs, running, strolling through the neighborhood. I like being within walking distance of coffee shops, restaurants and activities. I wish we had an outdoor pool in our neighborhood and there were sidewalks on EK Gaylord.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Do you know where you're moving? I don't live in Oklahoma right now, but I lived at the Claremont at 12th & Walker a couple years ago and absolutely loved it.
    Yep, I'm moving into the 430 Lofts in Midtown!

You should join Urban Neighbors.

They have socials and other activities:

https://www.facebook.com/UrbanNeighbors

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You should join Urban Neighbors.

They have socials and other activities:

https://www.facebook.com/UrbanNeighbors
    I think I'm going to!

Part of me wishes I had moved downtown and done that whole scene for a few years. I guess it's a little late now, but it's nice to see the development down there.

I used to live in Midtown at the Cline and you really cant go wrong with the Midtown Renaissance group, they were a pain to get a hold of when I first wanted to move to the area, but once I moved in they are great landlords.

Now I check in on this board from Houston from time to time. Some of my favorite places in the area that I miss are Coffee Slingers, McNellies and S&B. I can't wait for Fassler Hall when/if it comes to midtown, I will be finding some excuse for a "business trip" back to OKC the moment that happens.

I recently moved downtown in January of this year. Being born and raised in Southeast Oklahoma City and moving out of my parents home to Southwest Oklahoma City in 2004.
    My wife and I moved into the Guardian and love it. It brings great pride to see the Renaissance of my hometown. Areas and now districts that you didn’t want to be in as a kid are now renewed and inviting. Walkability is something we have never experienced as a city. The Maps 3 projects will only add to the cohesiveness of downtown and increase walkability.
    We travel for business to cities like NYC, Austin, San Francisco, and London. Every large city has it’s own unique personality. For a long time Oklahoma City had none it was not a destination. Now when we bring potential clients to Oklahoma City we’re able to show off the bustling new areas of downtown.
    MidtownR is a great asset to the city and the management is first class. Downtown is unlike any experience available now in the metro area. To anyone considering moving downtown I highly encourage you to give it a shot.
    The one drawback to downtown currently is retail. I enjoy the locally owned boutique shops downtown now but it’s not enough. I feel like as the population increases, retail is surely on the way. The streetcar should add to the ability to live in one area and shop in others.

I've seen a lot of people mention the waiting lists for getting into properties in Deep Deuce and the Midtown area. How long in advance should someone get their name on those lists in hopes of snagging a spot in one of the properties? I just graduated from KU and will be in the northeast doing some field work for the next 12 months before moving back to OKC next year. I've been watching the progress in those areas for awhile and those are definitely the two areas I would like to get into upon moving to OKC. Would I be better off getting my name in super early or will I be dropped off the list if my turn comes and I'm not ready to move back yet?

Midtown > Deep Deuce

I like Midtown the best. It has the most organic, natural feel of the urban places downtown. But there are not a lot of living options in that area. Deep Deuce seems to have many more renting and buying possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    I've seen a lot of people mention the waiting lists for getting into properties in Deep Deuce and the Midtown area. How long in advance should someone get their name on those lists in hopes of snagging a spot in one of the properties? I just graduated from KU and will be in the northeast doing some field work for the next 12 months before moving back to OKC next year. I've been watching the progress in those areas for awhile and those are definitely the two areas I would like to get into upon moving to OKC. Would I be better off getting my name in super early or will I be dropped off the list if my turn comes and I'm not ready to move back yet?
    It seems to be hit or miss, I had my name on a "list" at Leel, never heard anything, and finally stopped in. Thankfully, I was busy and just decided to stick it out where I am now for a few more months. Now I'm back on the "list" at Level, and have reached out to the Maywood people, and keeping an eye on it. Midtown has limited options, but it's pretty cool too.

14. Default Re: Downtown Living

if I lived back in OKC I would ONLY live in downtown or very close in. I suspect most expats and new arrivals also might want the urban experience. ...

I am so proud of my hometown and I look forward to further in-fill projects and the continued repopulation of central Oklahoma City. Nothing against the suburbs and I know folks like that too; but I believe a city/metro is defined by how well its core is built up/bustling and OKC should continue to push for urban projects in the urban core (inner ring) with particularly dense infill in the downtown districts and within 1 mile of the CBD.

Don't forget to put retail storefronts on the first floor of every new development possible (even if it doesn't fill right away, the building will have interaction with the ground if it has retail fronts). Just imagine in 5 years if in that time OKC doubles what has already been accomplished (and hopefully, raises the bar in the process with the new construction). ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOKC View Post
    I recently moved downtown in January of this year. Being born and raised in Southeast Oklahoma City and moving out of my parents home to Southwest Oklahoma City in 2004.
    My wife and I moved into the Guardian and love it. It brings great pride to see the Renaissance of my hometown. Areas and now districts that you didn’t want to be in as a kid are now renewed and inviting. Walkability is something we have never experienced as a city. The Maps 3 projects will only add to the cohesiveness of downtown and increase walkability.
    We travel for business to cities like NYC, Austin, San Francisco, and London. Every large city has it’s own unique personality. For a long time Oklahoma City had none it was not a destination. Now when we bring potential clients to Oklahoma City we’re able to show off the bustling new areas of downtown.
    MidtownR is a great asset to the city and the management is first class. Downtown is unlike any experience available now in the metro area. To anyone considering moving downtown I highly encourage you to give it a shot.
    The one drawback to downtown currently is retail. I enjoy the locally owned boutique shops downtown now but it’s not enough. I feel like as the population increases, retail is surely on the way. The streetcar should add to the ability to live in one area and shop in others.
    Excellent post. As to your comment about retail, OKC doesn't seem to know how to do it right. Not sure why (and please, no one bring up the rooftops argument). It's as if there is no real planning going on to lure the retailers downtown. Perhaps there is and it's just a massive failure. Obviously, our track record isn't great considering we thought a Bass Pro would lead to a Nordstrom's.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Excellent post. As to your comment about retail, OKC doesn't seem to know how to do it right. Not sure why (and please, no one bring up the rooftops argument). It's as if there is no real planning going on to lure the retailers downtown. Perhaps there is and it's just a massive failure. Obviously, our track record isn't great considering we thought a Bass Pro would lead to a Nordstrom's.
    Good point. Does anyone know why Alison Oshel (spelling?) left the retail coordinator position?

17. Default Re: Downtown Living

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Rooftops.

Yep.

As a former commercial real estate broker who focused on retail properties and tenants, I can assure you that retail follows people and we just aren't quite there yet.

Native Roots took a huge risk moving in when they did and I'm just hoping they can hang on until there is more density.

It's a bit chicken/egg because people want retail and services before the move into an area, but I think we are getting close to a tipping point where there is enough to keep people happy while we wait for critical mass. After that, we will really get on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yep.

As a former commercial real estate broker who focused on retail properties and tenants, I can assure you that retail follows people and we just aren't quite there yet.

Native Roots took a huge risk moving in when they did and I'm just hoping they can hang on until there is more density.

It's a bit chicken/egg because people want retail and services before the move into an area, but I think we are getting close to a tipping point where there is enough to keep people happy while we wait for critical mass. After that, we will really get on a roll.
    We all get this. But what is the plan? Obviously, the city is executing on getting more residents and tourists into the downtown core (and Midtown). But it would seem there there should be at least a five-year strategy for creating a first-class retail presence in the downtown core. That takes a serious, strategic effort with lots of moving parts.

We still have some large swaths of Urban Renewal owned land between Midtown and Downtown. If we were to plan for a major retail development, those parcels would make the most sense to me.

Conversely, if we auction these off willy-nilly we lose this swath of land to recruit a major retail development to.

It is a great thing that we're seeing this infill, but is there any kind of site plan from the planning department that exists to attract a major grocer and / or retail development?

Once this available land goes we're going to run out of space for anything substantial in the downtown area.

To say "rooftops" is to sidestep my real question: what is the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    The Alliance just released their Midtown plan. I think it answers some of your questions.
    except that "plan" is really just a legal framework that lets them acquire property (via ED) in the future in the city chooses to do so .. it is not binding on anyone

I thought the plan was more rooftops.

<ducks>

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Midtown > Deep Deuce
    Deep Deuce > Midtown
    This argument hasn't happened in 60 years. I love it.

Deep Deuce > Midtown

...but those days are numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Deep Deuce > Midtown

...but those days are numbered.
    days are already over ...

places to currently eat in deep deuce ... 3?

midtown .. 20?

I don't know about that... Deep Deuce has Bricktown so I feel that as Deep Deuce fills in, Bricktown will continue to improve. It will always be really nice to live one block away from Bricktown amenities.

Midtown has St. Anthony's: Quicker access to a stomach pump after a bad night of drinking > Access to baseball and a Movie Theater

Thread Information