Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Downtown Living

Default Re: Downtown Living

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Unfortunately that article is behind a paywall. Can somebody post what it says?
    Some folks decided to live DT.
    They make DT feel like Sally Fields, circa 1985.
    All are happy.
    The end.

Blog Entries

Curious how many people maintain a residence downtown but also have a residence other places even in OKC, Edmond, Norman, etc. I know there are quite a few people from outlying areas in Okla who do this with condos, apartments, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    This presents a few interesting perspectives from some current downtown area residents.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/542...klahoma%20City
    Do you work for the Oklahoman?

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Curious how many people maintain a residence downtown but also have a residence other places even in OKC, Edmond, Norman, etc. I know there are quite a few people from outlying areas in Okla who do this with condos, apartments, etc.
    Not sure about suburban dwellers having a place dt, I'm sure there are some, but I do know of a handful of folks that live in rural Okla and have a dt apartment. Some have occasional work in OKC and/or are just big fans of the thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Do you work for the Oklahoman?
    Hardly. I've just been a subscriber for about 50 years.

I'm know I have mentioned a similar sentiment in another thread, but moving to the Deep Deuce area is probably the best decision I have made thus far. I know downtown living may not seem like it is for everyone, but it has definitely been positive for me.

Does anybody know of anywhere in the urban core for $700/month or lower? As much as I would like to live in the Edge, my current financial situation doesn't allow it. I have long contemplated moving downtown though and being that I will be living in OKC for a while longer, I am thinking about actually taking the plunge if I can find something both affordable and desirable. As a single guy I think I would be much happier than I am in the outer burbs.

8. Default Re: Downtown Living

I am a little over that now at Deep Deuce Apartments, but that is with a roommate. I'm not sure it's possible otherwise.

Does anybody know of anywhere in the urban core for $700/month or lower? As much as I would like to live in the Edge, my current financial situation doesn't allow it. I have long contemplated moving downtown though and being that I will be living in OKC for a while longer, I am thinking about actually taking the plunge if I can find something both affordable and desirable. As a single guy I think I would be much happier than I am in the outer burbs.
    $700 a month is going to require you to find something on the edges of downtown or a studio. You might check out the Claremont at 12th and Walker. I paid $500 (!!!) a month in 2011, but prices went up a lot when I was leaving. I had a studio with a Murphy bed and absolutely loved living there.

Check out The Haven OKC

The Haven | A1

More than $700, but probably the closest you'll get without a roommate.

I see occasional craigslist posts with people who have [usually] relocated to OKC and are in a similar situation with a new job and needing a housemate.

Like the others above have stated, it's nearly impossible to find single bedroom rentals for less than $1000. Also keep in mind, places advertising lower or near that - are usually not including parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I see occasional craigslist posts with people who have [usually] relocated to OKC and are in a similar situation with a new job and needing a housemate.

Like the others above have stated, it's nearly impossible to find single bedroom rentals for less than $1000. Also keep in mind, places advertising lower or near that - are usually not including parking.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, a roommate isn't really an option for me. Unfortunately I am a slave to my $600/month car payment so that really limits what I can do. Is it possible to get lower a little farther out yet still in the urban core? I may end up having to just stay where I am at.

13. Default Re: Downtown Living

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    $700 a month is going to require you to find something on the edges of downtown or a studio. You might check out the Claremont at 12th and Walker. I paid $500 (!!!) a month in 2011, but prices went up a lot when I was leaving. I had a studio with a Murphy bed and absolutely loved living there.
    That's pretty crazy. When I moved to 430 Lofts in August 2013, the studio I rented was $850 a month.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, a roommate isn't really an option for me. Unfortunately I am a slave to my $600/month car payment so that really limits what I can do. Is it possible to get lower a little farther out yet still in the urban core? I may end up having to just stay where I am at.
    couple of options between Lincoln and 35 north of the capital?

Wow, $600 per month for a car?! Hope you love it, lol!

You may get lucky with something near the Plaza, but you have to check daily as stuff goes quick. I know some people who are renting near 16th street for relatively cheap considering the booming area.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    That's pretty crazy. When I moved to 430 Lofts in August 2013, the studio I rented was $850 a month.
    Yeah. Even at the time I knew it was a steal, but I got in right before the area got really hot. This was before Louie's, Waffle Champion, the Ambassador, Fassler, the Garage, Packard's, etc.. There was still McNellie's, Kaiser's, Stella, Irma's, etc., but it's insane to think how much the area has grown in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Yeah. Even at the time I knew it was a steal, but I got in right before the area got really hot. This was before Louie's, Waffle Champion, the Ambassador, Fassler, the Garage, Packard's, etc.. There was still McNellie's, Kaiser's, Stella, Irma's, etc., but it's insane to think how much the area has grown in 5 years.
    When I lived at Harvey Lofts, I paid $925/month for 715 square feet 1BR 1bath. It was a pretty top of the line place so I was definitely getting a good deal. With that in mind, I moved in during the summer 2010 and Midtown was still a bit sketchy back then. Plaza Court, Stella, and what was then Midtown Deli were pretty much the only thing there. Needless to say, the hood has changed dramatically. When I moved last spring my landlord offered the place for $1075 and it leased within 3 days.

So long story short, $700 is not happening in the immediate core. However, that price range is more than doable in some of the older buildings in Gatewood and Jefferson Park. Even a handful of the duplexes/triplexes in Heritage Hills//Mesta Park could be had for that price. No, you probably are not going to have super luxe units. But they would be nice, you are still very close to the action and the demographics/feel would be very similar.

18. Default Re: Downtown Living

Lots of fourplex and granny flat stuff in the near northwest neighborhoods. Older places can be super-charming. Just have to keep your eyes peeled and do some neighborhood reconnaissance.

Craigslist has a lot of rentals and you can search on a map to focus on where you want to be.

Yeah, you'll definitely be able to find things within the 40/235/44 ring. Try and get close to Western, 23rd, or the Plaza and you'll even be able to ride a bike or walk to a variety of places (although, I get the sense that you don't mind driving ). But if you're in the ring, then everything is super convenient.

Great thread to read for a newbie like myself - lots of interesting things.

I am moving to Oklahoma this August and working as a faculty member at OU. I decided to rent for a year in Norman (actually close to Moore) and get to know the surrounding areas first. I am single/male/almost mid-30s (yikes!). My initial thought is buying a loft or condo in OKC, though I am curious what life is like in a college town like Norman (maybe that would work too, not sure yet).

Questions (yes I am a newbie, so I apologize in advance if others ask these things in other threads):
    (1) What is the condo/loft market like for purchasing in OKC? Say, a 2 bed/2 bath place with dedicated parking.
    (2) What areas in Downtown/Midtown have these types of places for sale and are safe/convenient?
    (3) What's the commute like to Norman and back from the downtown neighborhoods?
    (4) What's the restaurant/bar scene like in downtown OKC? How about cultural things nearby to which to walk (park, museum)?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Lots of fourplex and granny flat stuff in the near northwest neighborhoods. Older places can be super-charming. Just have to keep your eyes peeled and do some neighborhood reconnaissance.
    Definitely do your due diligence on those older fourplexes and apartments in some of those hoods. I have a friend who lives in an old apartment in Mesta Park and every time it rains there is sewer backup issues, and the owner seems to not give two craps about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post

I am moving to Oklahoma this August and working as a faculty member at OU. I decided to rent for a year in Norman (actually close to Moore) and get to know the surrounding areas first. I am single/male/almost mid-30s (yikes!). My initial thought is buying a loft or condo in OKC, though I am curious what life is like in a college town like Norman (maybe that would work too, not sure yet).

Questions (yes I am a newbie, so I apologize in advance if others ask these things in other threads):
    (1) What is the condo/loft market like for purchasing in OKC? Say, a 2 bed/2 bath place with dedicated parking.
    (2) What areas in Downtown/Midtown have these types of places for sale and are safe/convenient?
    (4) What's the restaurant/bar scene like in downtown OKC? How about cultural things nearby to which to walk (park, museum)?

Thanks!
    Before answering I just want to say Welcome to the OKC metro area! We'll be glad to have you. What will you be "professing" as a Sooner?

I'll define downtown for you real quick: I-235/NW 13th/Classen Blvd./Oklahoma River. Midtown is a part of downtown and so I'm not going to divide them for discussion purposes. If you want to live in the densest area of downtown, you'll want to find something in Deep Deuce or Bricktown. If you don't mind a bit more walk time or riding your bike places, then anywhere downtown will fit you perfectly.

1. There's not a ton of options currently for purchase in Downtown OKC, and everything you can purchase goes for over $200/sq.ft. I'm not sure we have a lot of smaller units, but to be sure check out the for-sale options on this page: Downtown Housing Summary - OKCTalk

There are a lot of single family homes very close to downtown that go for anywhere from $30-50/sf up to $200/sf depending on where exactly you buy. Downtown is bordered by some incredibly nice residences (north) and some pretty depressed neighborhoods (to the West). The neighborhoods to the West are starting to see some gentrification especially if they're close to the Plaza district which is about 1 mile from the center of downtown.

2. Everywhere downtown is safe and convenient.

3. You definitely get the better end of the deal going in the opposite direction during Rush Hour. Overall, your commute to Norman from downtown would be between 25 - 35 minutes in normal traffic conditions. Heavy Congestion/Stoppage could tick that up to 45 and a wide-open highway could probably knock that down to 20 minutes if you speed a little.

4. Restaurant/Bar Scene in downtown is growing every day and has a good base already. Bricktown is OKC's largest downtown entertainment district with tons of restaurants and bars. On this site, you'll hear more negative things about it than good, but only because of jaded people who hold it to a standard we're trying to achieve in OKC. It's a nice district with some good options. In fact Skinny Slim's is one of my favorite bars and it's in Bricktown.

That being said, the quality of restaurants/bars, in my humble opinion, is a lot higher elsewhere in downtown. Midtown probably has the best scene and it's getting new quality restaurants seeming every month these days. All in all, downtown has, I'd guess over 100 bars/restaurants, again, with more opening seemingly every month. You definitely won't be disappointed if your expectations are in line with a normal city the size of OKC. And lots of people come from all over the city, so it's a great way to meet people from Edmond, Norman/Moore, Yukon, and the further regions of OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post

Thanks!
    1. I assume you mean downtown/midtown since you are talking about condo/loft. FOr 2 bed/2 bath with at least one dedicated parking spot is going to be anywhere around $280-320K+ depending on location and amenities. I have found in my market research that DeepDeuce area is basically right around $240 per sqft.
    2. DeepDeuce and Midtown (Eventually Metropolitan in AA and Steelyard in BT). However, most everything in these areas is rent. For-purchase is rare in these spots and held at a premium.
    3. Not sure on time, but I would bet on it being much shorter than heading to a northern Suburb.
    4. Check out the Restaurant/Bar forum just above this one, it is booming.

From your checklist, downtown is definitely where you want to be, but depending on your financial situation, maybe a 1 bedroom place to rent would be a good field test for you. Basically everything for bchris above, applies to you.

25. Default Re: Downtown Living

Well they both covered everything I was going to say, so never mind. Everything they have here pretty much covers it though.

Thread Information