Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Radio stations

Default OKC Radio stations

In my opinion, OKC could definitely use some changes on many of its FM radio frequencies. Looking at the current ratings for the existing stations, they seem to say the same thing. Too many country, sports, and classic rock stations competing for the same listeners. In my opinion and this can be backed up by the ratings, I think these stations need a format change.

94.7 - The Brew
    96.9 - K-Bob
    104.9 - Wild
    105.3 - The Pro
    ...possibly 93.3 Jake FM as their ratings have fallen off a cliff.

A lot of people want The Spy back but I am not sure it makes economic sense. It was tried twice and failed. What would you like to see done with the above stations?

I would like to see a full power urban station, a soft AC station like what 94.7 used to be before the Buzz, and an edgier rock station.

2. Default Re: OKC Radio stations

I haven't listened to anything but 96.5 Comedy 24/7 for the last couple of months.... Best station out there in my opinion.

Default Re: OKC Radio stations

The Buzz is off limits. It plays rock music that you only usually hear on Tulsa's The Edge.

I say bring back Jack FM on 94.7 and change 96.9 to an Alternative rock station.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    In my opinion, OKC could definitely use some changes on many of its FM radio frequencies. Looking at the current ratings for the existing stations, they seem to say the same thing. Too many country, sports, and classic rock stations competing for the same listeners. In my opinion and this can be backed up by the ratings, I think these stations need a format change.

94.7 - The Brew
    96.9 - K-Bob
    104.9 - Wild
    105.3 - The Pro
    ...possibly 93.3 Jake FM as their ratings have fallen off a cliff.

A lot of people want The Spy back but I am not sure it makes economic sense. It was tried twice and failed. What would you like to see done with the above stations?

I would like to see a full power urban station, a soft AC station like what 94.7 used to be before the Buzz, and an edgier rock station.
    Where are you getting the ratings for them? I haven't seen anything recent that includes KQOB or KJKE.

The SPY was great, that really old station back in the 90's 95X or whatever it was called was great. EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS, and badly. THis is the most embarrassing radio market I have ever had the displeasure to have to listen to, so quite simply, I don't. XM or internet for me.

105.3 is great, only because I finally have Rome back

I had no idea we had a 24/7 comedy station now....damn I've been missing out!

I'm not sure what the OP means by "full urban" but if it's like 97.9 in Houston, put me down for that as well

I'd also like something like the old Z-Rock which played metal and hard rock across several decades

OKC radio is abysmal. Always has been always will be. They refuse to change.

Turn to satellite or Internet radio, you'll be much happier.

It wasn't abysmal before the advent of corporate radio, back when companies were very limited on the number of licenses they could hold and for the most part you had true local radio.

Do people still listen to radio?

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    OKC radio is abysmal. Always has been always will be. They refuse to change.

Turn to satellite or Internet radio, you'll be much happier.
    It hasn't always been as bad as it is now, even in the corporate days. There was more variety in the dial in most of the 2000s than there is now. Today it seems like everybody has been trying to get a piece of the sports or classic rock pie. So many stations are unsustainable long term though so things are bound to get better. Tulsa has much better stations than OKC does at the moment, but hasn't always been like this.

The mid 2000s were great in OKC radio. There was the Buzz, the Spy, KMGL sounded better, and Wild still played current music and was somewhat edgy.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    105.3 is great, only because I finally have Rome back

I had no idea we had a 24/7 comedy station now....damn I've been missing out!

I'm not sure what the OP means by "full urban" but if it's like 97.9 in Houston, put me down for that as well

I'd also like something like the old Z-Rock which played metal and hard rock across several decades
    I tried to turn it to 96.5 today to check it out but could only pick up Mix 96.5 out of Tulsa. Is that the correct frequency?

By "full urban" I basically mean Power 103.5 but with a good signal that can be picked up clearly anywhere in the metro as well as indoors. I don't know why Russell Perry doesn't buy a better frequency. The urban format is pretty popular so I am sure it would do decent in the ratings. Power 103.5 is one of the best urban stations I have had the pleasure of listening to, I just wish I could listen to it without static.

The spy was great when it was in Stillwater and college radio format that was between 90-98ish. Pretty sure it was 93.7 kspi

It looks OKC radio is about to get worse, KRXO 107.7 will be changing to sports talk next month.

By "full urban" I basically mean Power 103.5 but with a good signal that can be picked up clearly anywhere in the metro as well as indoors. I don't know why Russell Perry doesn't buy a better frequency. The urban format is pretty popular so I am sure it would do decent in the ratings. Power 103.5 is one of the best urban stations I have had the pleasure of listening to, I just wish I could listen to it without static.
    I digg PowerJams but like you say, every time I pull up to a stoplight and there are overhead wires, it goes static like AND it will not play on old school radio indoors.

15. Default Re: OKC Radio stations

I tried to turn it to 96.5 today to check it out but could only pick up Mix 96.5 out of Tulsa. Is that the correct frequency?
    Yes, I have noticed that 96.5 gets a lot of bleedover from other frequencies.... They also broadcast on 1560 AM (The old Disney channel).

The FM channel sounds better when it's strong enough but the AM tends to be the cleaner of the two frequencies unless you are driving under a lot of bridges.

Something else I have found strange is that the tower is located in Del City and that seems to be where I get the worst reception.

16. Default Re: OKC Radio stations

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    The spy was great when it was in Stillwater and college radio format that was between 90-98ish. Pretty sure it was 93.7 kspi
    Was that when April Sweeney the Sassy Lil Spy girl was there?

It looks OKC radio is about to get worse, KRXO 107.7 will be changing to sports talk next month.
    KRXO is going to change over to 104.5 so the programming will still be there, just on a different station.

I don't understand why OKC cannot handle a rock station like the Edge in Tulsa or Dallas. The 95X station in the late 90's was my favorite. I loved 94.7 The Buzz. Now 94.7 The Bru is just like the KATT; some new rock, mostly older/classic rock, which is fine, I just can't see why the largest market in Oklahoma can support three classic rock stations and no alternative rock stations.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    KRXO is going to change over to 104.5 so the programming will still be there, just on a different station.

I don't understand why OKC cannot handle a rock station like the Edge in Tulsa or Dallas. The 95X station in the late 90's was my favorite. I loved 94.7 The Buzz. Now 94.7 The Bru is just like the KATT; some new rock, mostly older/classic rock, which is fine, I just can't see why the largest market in Oklahoma can support three classic rock stations and no alternative rock stations.
    Is 104.5 a new frequency in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Is 104.5 a new frequency in OKC?
    I believe it is. The FCC just assigned it to Tyler.

Does anybody know what happened to the Eggman?

After leaving KTOK, He was at 99.7 KZLS with his new gig, and now suddenly he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post

I don't think its as much that OKC couldn't support it as much as the proven formats in this market that bring in cash are country, classic rock, and sports talk. Every corporation in the market wants a peice of that pie. Since there are less frequencies in this market than most, there isn't room for more adventurous formats. Every company doing radio in this market wants their best frequencies to have the above formats. Plus it doesn't help that OKC's major players are very conservative companies like Cumulus and Tyler. Tulsa and Dallas don't have that problem. I am sure the fact younger listeners are moving away from FM radio towards XM and Internet also plays a part.

When I lived in Charlotte people complained how many Lite AC and urban AC stations there were. However, due to their white collar workforce listening at work, those formats are cash cows there. Even their urban leans adult and doesn't play much hip-hop except a few hours in the evening.

I don't think its as much that OKC couldn't support it as much as the proven formats in this market that bring in cash are country, classic rock, and sports talk. Every corporation in the market wants a peice of that pie.
    Top station in OKC: KJ. Country (Twister and KXXY) are #2 and #8 of the top ten. Classic Rock (if that's what you wanna call KOMA) show at #3 and #9 of the top ten. Sports talk's top showing is at #7. I don't think OKC is dominated by those three genres. I agree, it's a mystery why no one is trying to take on #1 and seem to be content to duke it out for #2, #3, and #7.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	okc-radio-ratings.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	4099
    Since there are less frequencies in this market than most, there isn't room for more adventurous formats. Every company doing radio in this market wants their best frequencies to have the above formats.
    Wikipedia shows 33 frequencies registered for the Oklahoma City market plus the recently approved 104.5 for Tyler's KRXO move. That seems like a lot to me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	okc-radio-freqs.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	4100

^^^ CHR is a popular format right now. I think it would be great for another station to flip to a quality Top 40 to take on KJ like Wild did in the early 2000s. Wild was one of the best sounding rhythmic CHRs in the country and was very heavy on fresh, new music until Cumulus took it over. However, I can't think of a company currently in the market that could properly do it besides ClearChannel so that's probably why we haven't seen it. Cumulus Top 40 stations sound pretty much like KYIS which doesn't do the format justice. Maybe Tyler could try it on 93.3 one day though I am not sure how well they would do it. To compete with KJ they would have to be fresh and risky (like Wild used to be). Maybe if Cumulus ever flips Wild to another format that will give somebody else the incentive to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Does anybody know what happened to the Eggman?

After leaving KTOK, He was at 99.7 KZLS with his new gig, and now suddenly he's gone.
    I *thought* he went to KOMA, as someone I know was very recently interviewed by him. Cant say for sure though.

The problem with radio is that so much of it is owned by large, national corporations. Not just in OKC, but in most places. With this kind of structure you get very little true, local radio. These corporations do things in the most cost effective ways so that makes their stations all sound alike. You've got too few entities controlling most of radio.

Thread Information