Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 stores (retail, grocery or otherwise) you wish we had in OKC

Default Re: Top 5 stores (retail, grocery or otherwise) you wish we had in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Anybody think Cost Plus World Market would do well here? I really don't get why they're not in OKC yet, I think Norman would be a terrific location for them as well.
    The liquor laws are probably a major reason.

They are pretty popular in Charlotte. I wish they had them here.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The liquor laws are probably a major reason.

They are pretty popular in Charlotte. I wish they had them here.
    If thats the case, Why do they have stores in Kansas? Kansas has very similar liquor laws as Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    For whatever reason I just don't see a Cabelas working out in Edmond. I have no idea why I feel that way, it's just a vibe I get. I could be wrong though.
    I'm gonna have to disagree. Could capture a market heavy in outdoor interests from north OKC to Ponca City.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I'm gonna have to disagree. Could capture a market heavy in outdoor interests from north OKC to Ponca City.
    One thing I was thinking was possibly Stillwater, although I'm not sure if they have any major outdoor activities in Stillwater. It might work, I dunno

I'm mainly thinking hunting/fishing. If OSU is anything A&M there are plenty of young guys up there who'd love to spend their cash there.

The only thing I could think of is Bass Pro, does anyone know if there is a Cabelas and a Bass Pro in the same city?
    We have a Bass Pro in the Stapleton area along I-70 and two Cabela's are supposed to open next month along I-25, one in Thornton (north) and one in Lone Tree (south). Cabela's is in expansion mode but with smaller stores than the one that is in Buda, Texas (South suburb of Austin).

Cost Plus is also here in Colorado with no wine sales.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    We have a Bass Pro in the Stapleton area along I-70 and two Cabela's are supposed to open next month along I-25, one in Thornton (north) and one in Lone Tree (south). Cabela's is in expansion mode but with smaller stores than the one that is in Buda, Texas (South suburb of Austin).

Cost Plus is also here in Colorado with no wine sales.
    Wow, that pretty darn impressive! Do you know by any chance how big they are?

The Thornton store is supposed to be around 90,000 sf and the Lone Tree store around 110,000 sf according to this Denver Post article. The store in Buda is 185,000 sf.

Here's a Denver Business Journal article about the new strategy of opening up two stores simultaneously in the same market.

The Thornton store is supposed to be around 90,000 sf and the Lone Tree store around 110,000 sf according to this Denver Post article. The store in Buda is 185,000 sf.

Here's a Denver Business Journal article about the new strategy of opening up two stores simultaneously in the same market.
    Dick's did the same thing in OKC.

That's pretty good size. I guess one here would work in Edmond they could maybe build another in the future. As ljbab stated, Dick's went crazy a year ago building something like 5 new stores at once. That really shows how much they trusted the market here. I was hoping that might give some other retailers some confidence here. Maybe it has and we are seriously being looked at or even planned by people we keep saying will never come here, who knows.

If thats the case, Why do they have stores in Kansas? Kansas has very similar liquor laws as Oklahoma.
    The main factor is that they can sell high point beer and wine... That's really the main difference.

I thought their laws prohibit wine sales unless it's in a liquor store. Back on topic I think Gander Mountain would do well in OKC.

I thought their laws prohibit wine sales unless it's in a liquor store. Back on topic I think Gander Mountain would do well in OKC.
    You might be right... I'll be in Wichita this weekend and I'll run into the World Market to see what they are selling. I can hit a golf ball to it from my parent's back patio...

I think out of everything listed here, here is who is NOT coming to OKC.

IKEA
    Nordstrom
    Saks Fifth Avenue
    Fry's Electronics
    Louis Vuitton
    Tiffany & Co

IKEA
    Nordstrom
    Saks Fifth Avenue
    Fry's Electronics
    Louis Vuitton
    Tiffany & Co
    How insightful to list which stores you think won't come in a thread about stores we wish we had in OKC. lol

IKEA
    Nordstrom
    Saks Fifth Avenue
    Fry's Electronics
    Louis Vuitton
    Tiffany & Co
    Why don't you think a Fry's will not be here???? That crushes my dreams lol, but seriously though, I kind of thought that might actually be a realistic possibility in the next 3-8 years. . . :/

Why don't you think a Fry's will not be here???? That crushes my dreams lol, but seriously though, I kind of thought that might actually be a realistic possibility in the next 3-8 years. . . :/
    I would like to see a Fry's probably as much as anybody here.

However, like IKEA, they only locate in large markets. In fact I would say they are even more selective than IKEA in terms of locations. On top of that, the brick and mortar electronics superstore model is not the success it once was thanks to competition from online retailers.

IKEA!

Tiffany & CO (not gonna happen)

Potbelly's Restaurant

Johnny Rocket's Restaurant

LUSH Cosmetics/Bath products store

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    And locations you think would best suit them.

1. Ikea (I-35 in Edmond. It would work for all the colleges in oklahoma and most of Kansas)
    2. Trader Joe's (downtown)
    3. Costco (not sure where to put it, probably out on I-40)
    4. Crate and Barrel (Classen Curve area)
    5. Kate Spade (Penn Square Mall) so my wife will quit complaining about driving three hours to shop there
    Ditto this.

Ikea would be good-- perfect for college kids and all the young newly married couples buying cheap furniture.

Trader Joe's downtown sounds like a good match.

Quote Originally Posted by oki View Post
    IKEA!

Tiffany & CO (not gonna happen)

Potbelly's Restaurant

Johnny Rocket's Restaurant

LUSH Cosmetics/Bath products store
    There's already a LUSH in Penn Square! Congrats!

My top 5:

Costco
    Ikea
    Trader Joe's
    Urban Outfitters
    High-End Department Store (Nordstrom, Saks, Lord&Taylor)

City Target in downtown OKC

Uptown Grocery in Midtown

Costco - anywhere!

REI - anywhere!

Trader Joe's or Central Market - anywhere!

Of course if the "anywhere" could be close to my house it would be nice.

At a Costco in the Bay Area right now, oh how I would kill to have one of these somewhere in OKC. Their wine is in the store with everything else. I wonder how well they would do in OKC.

Naturally Kroger would skip over OK, just like Costco in KS and TX, or Trader Joes in KS and TX, and so many others... Sigh..

Kroger used to be in Oklahoma, back in the 30's.

There is only 3.2% beer in the Costco stores here in Colorado, I don't recall seeing the separate but adjacent liquor stores (Havana & Florida, Lone Tree and Parker locations) like some of the Sam's Club stores here have or like the Costco stores in Austin had (beer/wine in the store). Liquor stores here are open seven days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I'm mainly thinking hunting/fishing. If OSU is anything A&M there are plenty of young guys up there who'd love to spend their cash there.
    There's plenty of deer and wild turkey up there to interest them. Since Stillwater has a Best Buy, maybe it can have a Cabella's, too, should it develop an interest in expanding to the bigger growing small towns.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    A Fry's would be nice.
    +1

Thread Information