Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Top 5 stores (retail, grocery or otherwise) you wish we had in OKC

Default Re: Top 5 stores (retail, grocery or otherwise) you wish we had in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    There is a Container Store in Dallas right across from Northpark Mall next to a Barnes and Noble, Tom Thumb and a Wells Fargo Bank. I would hardly call this upscale, but I guess being in close proximity to NP helps. They could always put one in the Belle Isle Shopping Center if a correct space ever opens up. It is right next to PSM which is the most upscale shopping in OKC, IMHO.
    I would say it would be more likely to go somewhere along Memorial near QSM. Belle Isle is a low-end, Wal-Mart shopping center and I doubt the Container Store would go there. The area near SuperTarget may be a good fit, as it's one of the nicest outdoor shopping centers in OKC. University North Park in Norman may also be an alright fit.

Don't think OKC will be in the running for one of these quite yet, but maybe in the next 5 years if the concept is adopted to more locations.

Target Tests Small Store for Urban Shoppers as Young People Pick Cities Over Suburbs

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    I've been hearing about this store, didn't realize they only have 61 total, but are in growth mode.

Anyone ever been ( I have not) ? or Anyone want one in OKC?

http://www.containerstore.com/locati....htm?store=GAL

locations
    http://www.containerstore.com/locations/index.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    My speculation is the only reason The Container Store isn't in OKC is the lack of a real upscale shopping center. If a lifestyle center, even a small one, ever gets built in OKC it is very likely they will be a tenant.
    I've been to several, and it fills a good niche in the marketplace. OKC was supposed to get one a few years ago before the market tanked in 2008. It was part of Chesapeake's aggressive retail growth plans. It was supposed to go on the SW Corner of NW Expressway and Penn, where the old Salvation HQ was(is). In typical CHK fashion, they overpaid for the property and then the market tanked as well as all the legal troubles with CHK. Not sure if they are still interested in the market, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are just waiting for the right development at this point.

Gordon Biersch. Would be a great addition to Bricktown or Penn Square.

Gordon Biersch

Just to reiterate that HEB is (unfortunately) not coming any time soon, they are slowing down their expansion in DFW.

San Antonio Business Journal - Whoa! H-E-B tempers prediction of rapid growth in DFW

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Just to reiterate that HEB is (unfortunately) not coming any time soon, they are slowing down their expansion in DFW.

San Antonio Business Journal - Whoa! H-E-B tempers prediction of rapid growth in DFW
    If OKC ever gets a real major grocery chain it is highly unlikely to be H-E-B. I would say it would probably be Kroger or Reasor's.

Wasn't sure where to post this but I came across it and wanted to post it because it hits the nail on the head.

A Downtown ontheRange: Buyer's Remorse in OKC

The article was printed in 2010 so OKC has covered some ground since then. OKC now has Whole Foods, Anthropolgie, Coach, Fossil and is about to have Von Maur and Trader Joe's. That said, OKC still has more ground to cover against cities its size or even a little smaller. I fully agree with the author of the blog that says the primary reason is the lack of good retail space. The usual excuse of the lack of concentrated wealth may hold weight vs Tulsa but against places like Birmingham, Alabama, it doesn't hold up. Looking back, just as OKC was finally starting to be on the radar of these national retailers and shopping centers were being proposed, 2008 hit and put a stop to most progress. If OKC ever gets a lifestyle center, even a small one, I think the retail situation here will improve dramatically.

From what I've seen of the Chisolm Creek development, if done right and not scaled way down like these things have the habit of doing, it could be that shopping center.

Wasn't sure where to post this but I came across it and wanted to post it because it hits the nail on the head.

A Downtown ontheRange: Buyer's Remorse in OKC

The article was printed in 2010 so OKC has covered some ground since then. OKC now has Whole Foods, Anthropolgie, Coach, Fossil and is about to have Von Maur and Trader Joe's. That said, OKC still has more ground to cover against cities its size or even a little smaller. I fully agree with the author of the blog that says the primary reason is the lack of good retail space. The usual excuse of the lack of concentrated wealth may hold weight vs Tulsa but against places like Birmingham, Alabama, it doesn't hold up. Looking back, just as OKC was finally starting to be on the radar of these national retailers and shopping centers were being proposed, 2008 hit and put a stop to most progress. If OKC ever gets a lifestyle center, even a small one, I think the retail situation here will improve dramatically.

From what I've seen of the Chisolm Creek development, if done right and not scaled way down like these things have the habit of doing, it could be that shopping center.
    I have to agree as well. It is surprising that we do not have any nice lifestyle centers given how common they are in cities that are comparable to or smaller than OKC. I recently spent a week in Northern Virginia outside of Washington, DC, and I had forgotten how much nicer the sprawl and strip malls seem to be there. Obviously, the cost of living is higher there, too, but some of it just seems to be the standards. It just seems like our standards here are too low. For instance, I posted this picture of a "typical" strip mall with Giant grocery store (a regular grocery store that is, of course, much nicer than the average grocery store here). This is not a fancy development, and yet it is nicer than most of the more upscale developments in the metro.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VA Strip Mall.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	6512

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    I have to agree as well. It is surprising that we do not have any nice lifestyle centers given how common they are in cities that are comparable to or smaller than OKC. I recently spent a week in Northern Virginia outside of Washington, DC, and I had forgotten how much nicer the sprawl and strip malls seem to be there. Obviously, the cost of living is higher there, too, but some of it just seems to be the standards. It just seems like our standards here are too low. For instance, I posted this picture of a "typical" strip mall with Giant grocery store (a regular grocery store that is, of course, much nicer than the average grocery store here). This is not a fancy development, and yet it is nicer than most of the more upscale developments in the metro.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VA Strip Mall.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	6512
    I agree. That's how Charlotte is as well. The only thing in the OKC metro that meets that standard is the Spring Creek development in Edmond. When you get down to it though, what is it about OKC that keeps those developments from being built here?

I honestly think it was OKC's image prior to 2008 and some major deals were coming together but the depression screwed things up. I could be wrong on that and please correct me if I am. I am confident though we will see things change in the near future.

HangryHippo Guest

I agree. That's how Charlotte is as well. The only thing in the OKC metro that meets that standard is the Spring Creek development in Edmond. When you get down to it though, what is it about OKC that keeps those developments from being built here?
    I wonder the same thing. The suburbs in other states just seem to be better than what we get here. I don't know what keeps OKC developers from building like that, but I wish it would change.

I'd love to have a good place to buy furniture. Maybe a Room and Board.

Thought it might be fun to bring this thread back from the dead now that it looks like some big name retailers are going into CC.

Louis Vuitton.

Then again, their lack of an Oklahoma presence keeps me out of (too much) trouble. If they had a store here, I might be lured into impulse purchases. As it stands, I have much more time to talk myself out of it when I'm forced to order from their website. That may sound backward, but there's something about walking into an actual store and smelling the fresh leather and being able to physically handle a bag or accessory.

I'd like to have an L.L. Bean store and a proper Nordstrom. L.L. Bean could work at the outlet mall, or probably more successfully, along the Memorial corridor. Unfortunately we're half a country away from Bean's retail spread, so I don't see it happening ever. Nordstrom could be set up in the Quail area.

Food-wise, I'd love to have a Tim Horton's. Best fast food coffee in the world, and killer breakfast sandwiches. Fatburger is also pretty tasty; I tried one of those in Alberta. But we don't really have a shortage of great burger places here, so I don't know if the market needs a Fatburger. Not that I'd complain if they opened one up.

I would like the following:
    Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel, Tesla Showroom, Nordstrom, Uniqlo, REI, Great Harvest Bread Co., Z-Gallerie, Ikea

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    I'd like to have an L.L. Bean store and a proper Nordstrom. L.L. Bean could work at the outlet mall, or probably more successfully, along the Memorial corridor. Unfortunately we're half a country away from Bean's retail spread, so I don't see it happening ever. Nordstrom could be set up in the Quail area.

Food-wise, I'd love to have a Tim Horton's. Best fast food coffee in the world, and killer breakfast sandwiches. Fatburger is also pretty tasty; I tried one of those in Alberta. But we don't really have a shortage of great burger places here, so I don't know if the market needs a Fatburger. Not that I'd complain if they opened one up.
    L.L. Bean opened up a store at Park Meadows Mall in Lone Tree (South Denver) right before Thanksgiving.

There is a Fatburger up near Aurora Mall, we tried it once, it was OK.

I'll second that LL Bean. I did not think that they had any stores outside of the north east. I'd even settle on one in Dallas.

Is Costco coming to OKC for sure??

I wish 99 cent only stores were in OKC. They are convenient, cheap, and better than dollar tree or other currently offered stores in the central Oklahoma metro.

How so?

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    How so?
    They seem to have better product selection and a better business model than Dollar Tree. Not sure how to explain it exactly but I just seem to like them better. Next time you’re in Dallas check them out.

Thread Information