Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

Default Re: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    maybe he's getting jimmy's round up confused with jimmy's egg? -M
    Chicken Egg:

Cow "Egg":

"Chicken Fried Steak" is primarily associated with the animal that produces the latter.
    Beware of imitations It's more than just a matter of taste.

I finally took my friend from London to Kendall's in Noble. She had the "Lite" CFS and I had the regular. It was very good, and I won't claim to be an expert, but definitely worth the trip (almost 40 miles). I think I will have the Lite serving next time, but keep in mind, I'm old and I can't eat as much as I used to. I did finish the regular, but I'm only going to snack tonight for dinner.
    C. T.

Prunepicker Guest

After fly fishing in Gunnison area for a week a couple of my friends had
    the Chicken Fried Ribeye at the Gunny Sack! They all said it was
    incredible. The steak was prepared as usual and about 1/2 inch thick. I
    believe the price was @ $15 and was large enough for 2 diners, er, fly
    fishers. Odd that none of us ordered fish.

Prunepicker,
    My last meal at Gunnison was at a very nice Italian restaurant called Garlic Mike's. I ordered shrimp scampi but unfortunately, the shrimp was bad. I ate three pieces of shrimp and was off to the restroom. It took me three days (two without food) to get over it. It really is a good place, just an oversight and it didn't smell bad but I have never been so sick in my life. I wish I had gone to the Gunny Sack instead. Next time I will. And actually, i would go back to Garlic Mike's too.
    C. T.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Prunepicker,
    My last meal at Gunnison was at a very nice Italian restaurant called Garlic Mike's...
    C. T.
    So sorry to hear that. I didn't see Garlic Mike's in town, not that it's not there.
    We ate at the Gunny Sack twice and it was very close to perfection. The burger
    was incredible. On Monday's you can get the Gunny Burger and Fries for $5.
    That's a deal I won't soon forget. The fries were crispy, too. Just as I ordered.

Cute waitress, too.

But for a good time go to the House of China. I asked the waitress if
    she was on the menu. Seriously! I asked for her number and she have
    me the restaurant's. We had a great time. I had chicken fried rice.
    Absolutely wonderful

A lot of the guys from the Texas motorcycle site that I am on ride in the Gunnison area and I have seen many favorable reviews of the Gunny Sack.

It's out of town a mile or two, on the road to Crested Butte.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    So sorry to hear that. I didn't see Garlic Mike's in town, not that it's not there.
    We ate at the Gunny Sack twice and it was very close to perfection. The burger
    was incredible. On Monday's you can get the Gunny Burger and Fries for $5.
    That's a deal I won't soon forget. The fries were crispy, too. Just as I ordered.

Cute waitress, too.

But for a good time go to the House of China. I asked the waitress if
    she was on the menu. Seriously! I asked for her number and she have
    me the restaurant's. We had a great time. I had chicken fried rice.
    Absolutely wonderful

Drove down and tried out Kendall's for the first time tonight. Their chicken fried steak and catfish are excellent. Definitely worth the drive folks.

Best chicken fried steak I've had came from Pistol's in Del City. Grew up eating those and now nobody else comes close. It's similar to Del Rancho (I think the same guy owned them back in the day), so since Pistol's closed like 10 years ago that's where I've got to go to get my fix.

Easy180,
    Glad you liked it! I kind of hate recommending food since it's so subjective but I did enjoy it. I forgot to ask them if it was fried. It was good, so I didn't even think about preparation. That seems to be important to cfs aficionados.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Drove down and tried out Kendall's for the first time tonight. Their chicken fried steak and catfish are excellent. Definitely worth the drive folks.

Best chicken fried steak I ever had was at the now closed Charlie Newtons. Was real sirlon hammered then breaded and fried.

Gjl,
    I had always heard that about Charlie Newton's, but I couldn't understand going to a place like that and spending way too much for a chicken fried steak when I could get an excellent tenderloin or ribeye fo not a lot more. I guess I should have tried it though. Do you remember what it was before it became Charlie Newton's? I think it was Bell's, but I never went there.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Best chicken fried steak I ever had was at the now closed Charlie Newtons. Was real sirlon hammered then breaded and fried.

In younger days I often enjoyed my CFS hammered. These days, I lean more toward sweet tea.

Hammered is better when you are eating it at a place like Chuck House.

Chuck House, the answer is always Chuck House. For gourmet Cheevers makes a mean version or two.

Classen Grill's fry and eggs should not be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Gjl,
    I had always heard that about Charlie Newton's, but I couldn't understand going to a place like that and spending way too much for a chicken fried steak when I could get an excellent tenderloin or ribeye fo not a lot more. I guess I should have tried it though. Do you remember what it was before it became Charlie Newton's? I think it was Bell's, but I never went there.
    C. T.
    I don't know what Charlie Newtons was before. We only ate there twice. Several years ago about a month prior to my and my wife's birthday we would get an envelope in the mail with free dinner coupons at 4 or 5 local restaurants. I don't know how or why we started getting them but we would get them every year for about 3 years in a row. One year one of the coupons was for Charlie Newtons. Honestly I don't think I ever knew it existed before that.

Charlie newtons was a filet mignon chicken fried steak if I remember right it was around 25 bucks and oh so good.

i believe you can get newton's 'ultimate' filet mignon chicken fry at kyle's 1025... -M

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    Charlie newtons was a filet mignon chicken fried steak if I remember right it was around 25 bucks and oh so good.
    Might have been. It's been several years since I had it. I just remember it wasn't cube steak.

I'll tell you where I've had the worst chicken fry lately. That would be Cheddars in MWC. The thing had 1/2 inch or more breading on the top and bottom. It was awful.

Prunepicker Guest

A good Chicken Fried Steak is subjective. I've have many good CFS's in my
    life but to tell the truth the one I remember most was at Shorty Small's.
    Yes, Shipman's had a good CFS with all the biscuits you could eat and two
    vegetables for less than $2. That was 30+ years ago. Ann's is good for the
    price but nowhere near as good as Shorty Small's. Ann's is definitely worth
    the $ if mediocrity is acceptable, which for me it is if the money is right.

To settle an argument, a CFS can be made with any type of meat. In
    Gunnison, CO there's a restaurant that serves a very good Rib Eye CFS.

Some places serve a very good Cube Steak CFS. Some places can't
    serve a CFS that tastes better than cardboard and flour.

Gjl,
    I went to Kyle's 1025 web site that Martin mentioned, and they have an item on the menu called "Bell's Pan Fried Chicken". Underneath that is "Inspired by Johnny Bell". So, I guess Charlie Newton's is/was originally Bell's.
    C. T.
    I don't know what Charlie Newtons was before. We only ate there twice. Several years ago about a month prior to my and my wife's birthday we would get an envelope in the mail with free dinner coupons at 4 or 5 local restaurants. I don't know how or why we started getting them but we would get them every year for about 3 years in a row. One year one of the coupons was for Charlie Newtons. Honestly I don't think I ever knew it existed before that.

The wife and I finally went to Kendall's this weekend, I got the catfish and she got the CFS, both the lite portions, and I must say...both were very good. I think they put the catfish on a diet because they were very, very skinny, but very good breading and taste great! We will most definitely be going back. I think one of the best part is that the lite portions are perfect size, for a good price. Two dinners, I had a salad with mine, two waters and they serve a cinnamon roll with each meal....all for under $20.

Default The Great Chicken Fried Steak Debate: who in OKC is the best?

title says it all. Who in OKC, (or surrounding areas) has the absolute best chicken fried steak? Who's worth your hard earned money and which places should be avoided?

Prunepicker Guest

Hammered is better when you are eating it at a place like Chuck House.
    Hammered as in drunk?

My neighbor brought me a CFS from the Chuck House last week. It was
    very good. The CH was waning for a few years and I stopped going. I'm
    glad they're back in business as a reputable CFS restaurant.

Thread Information