Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

Default The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

I've been on a mission most of my life to find The Best Chicken Fried Steak.
    The best chicken fry I've ever had was home cooked by my Aunt Esther. Of course, to keep the conversation universal, we'll need to limit ourselves to restaurants.

Top 5:
    Denim's in Marietta - now closed - was a perfect stop for lunch on the way to Dallas.
    Roz's Diner in Bethany - now closed - was a 50s theme diner, and the first place I ever had chicken fried steak.
    Beverly's OKC - easily the most consistent chicken fried steak in the metro. Year after year, I know what to expect.
    RJ's on Santa Fe - now closed - really knew how to flavor their batter.
    Cattlemen's OKC - has the home-cooked taste you got from Denim's.

Honorable Mention:
    Ann's Chicken Fry OKC - not as good as it used to be, but I've had so many great ones there it probably belongs on the list.

Please, enlighten me! Who's got my next fix?

Default Re: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

For quick, reasonable and decent, I like the Chuck House on 10th & Meridian.

Haven't had it but have heard great things about Kendall's in Noble.

Cheever's has a nice version with jalapeno cream gravy.

I'm putting Kendall's and Cheever's on my list. Thanks

Another vote for Chuck House

5. Default Re: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

My vote is for Cheever's (just because its different) and as a sandwich my favorite has always been the Moore Del Rancho.

6. Default Re: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

Kendall's in Noble without question.....especially when followed by their complimentary made from scratch cinnamon rolls for dessert.

Kendal's is the best I've had in a while. Next locally is O'Connell's, but there's a bit of distance between the two.
    What I miss, though I sure it is still out there somewhere, is the old style CFS, which involves a real cut of steak, dusted with merely a hint of egg and flour plus a dash of salt and a passle of pepper and then panfried into submission. Amongst the best I ever had in OK were in a long dead truckstop in Sunset Corner and a Amy's Diner in Poteau.

i'm gonna join the dogpile for kendall's... back when i worked at ou, we'd get a volunteer to go down to noble and pick up orders for the whole department. good times. it's been a few years since i've been, but i'd assume they're still good.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate
    What I miss, though I sure it is still out there somewhere, is the old style CFS, which involves a real cut of steak
    i haven't tried this for myself, but kyle's 1025 in okc serves a cfs made with beef tenderloin... -M

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    My vote is for Cheever's (just because its different) and as a sandwich my favorite has always been the Moore Del Rancho.
    I will second Cheevers! The jalapeno gravy really makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Kendal's is the best I've had in a while. Next locally is O'Connell's, but there's a bit of distance between the two.
    What I miss, though I sure it is still out there somewhere, is the old style CFS, which involves a real cut of steak, dusted with merely a hint of egg and flour plus a dash of salt and a passle of pepper and then panfried into submission. Amongst the best I ever had in OK were in a long dead truckstop in Sunset Corner and a Amy's Diner in Poteau.
    I get what you're saying. I like both thick batter / deep fried, and like you said a lightly breaded / pan fried (homestyle, in my opinion).

I think that's the difference between Beverly's and Cattlemen's respectively.

I miss some of the old truckstops that aren't around anymore. I can't remember any of the names, but there were ones I'd go out of my way to eat at.

I have to agree about Cattlemen's. Their chicken fried steak is excellent -- and more reliable than their steaks.

Kendall's is also quite good.

I'll join in on O'Connell's as well. They make good chicken fry and their fish and chips are also quite good.

I like Ann's, Chuck House, Del Rancho, Cattlemen's, Texas Road House, and yes, Furr's. I wish we had a Babe's Chicken House here. I love their chicken, chicken fried steak, and sides.

Bigray in Ok

Lucille's in Mulhall does cfs/chicken well. Also, Delta Cafe in Edmond.

Agreed, Chuck House and Furrs.

Hands down, it has to be Cattleman's. I've tried Kendell's twice and i'll have to pass, heavy on breading, light on meat.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Its ok, but the best?

With that said - i have no problem admitting im a traditionalist when it comes to CFS.

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Agreed, Chuck House and Furrs.
    I really like chuck house.

How does Del Rancho rate?

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    Its ok, but the best?

With that said - i have no problem admitting im a traditionalist when it comes to CFS.
    It's my favorite.

The best traditional chicken fried steak would be Ann's Chicken Fry IMO.

19. Default Re: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    How does Del Rancho rate?
    As a sandwich I really like the Moore location - but as a streak on a plate - I'm not a big fan.

I like Chuck House and I like Del Rancho. I go with them when I want something fast. Actually, I stopped going Del Rancho. It seems everytime they close a location the price goes up at all the remaining spots.

MadMonk Guest

I'd say Ann's, then Chuck House. However, I haven't had a lot of those listed above so I'm making a to-do list to be sure I'm not mistaken in my vote.

Kendall's in Noble.

/thread

No love for Toby Keith's?

Never eaten there but CFS is featured prominently on it's menu and I know they serve tons of it.

How about Charleston's? Never had it there but the rest of their food is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No love for Toby Keith's?

Actually, yes. Toby Keith's does make a good chicken fry, and the service was remarkable.

However, neither was good enough to bring me back. The one I visited featured Toby Keith music videos playing non-stop on a giant projector. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but I can't stand his music. I'm not a country fan in general, but his is especially agonizing.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Its ok, but the best?

I am too, my gravy doesn't need jalapeno and my mashed potatoes don't need chunks of garlic and onion, I want a traditional, old fashioned CFS when I eat one. I prefer Chuck House and Ann's, we never did find one to compare to those in Austin. Found some good ones but not quite there with any of them.

Thread Information