Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Gjl,
    I went to Kyle's 1025 web site that Martin mentioned, and they have an
    item on the menu called "Bell's Pan Fried Chicken"...
    C. T.
    Is there another way to cook chicken? I know some have tried to say
    that chicken pot pie is another way but we all know the chicken is
    leftover pan fried from Dinner. Then some try to say "roasted" or
    "baked" chicken. Heck far, that's nothing but pan fried chicken that's
    been reheated in the oven.

Prunepicker,
    My complete statement was in reference to Bell's restaurant, not the "pan fried chicken". I said "I went to Kyle's 1025 web site that Martin mentioned, and they have an item on the menu called "Bell's Pan Fried Chicken". Underneath that is "Inspired by Johnny Bell". So, I guess Charlie Newton's is/was originally Bell's.". I wasn't talking about how to fry chicken, especially since I have no idea how to do it. I had previously asked the question about whether Kyle's was formerly Bell's.
    C. T
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Is there another way to cook chicken? I know some have tried to say
    that chicken pot pie is another way but we all know the chicken is
    leftover pan fried from Dinner. Then some try to say "roasted" or
    "baked" chicken. Heck far, that's nothing but pan fried chicken that's
    been reheated in the oven.

Hammered as in drunk?

My neighbor brought me a CFS from the Chuck House last week. It was
    very good. The CH was waning for a few years and I stopped going. I'm
    glad they're back in business as a reputable CFS restaurant.
    From what my father told me I think the family that ran it forever got back involved in the restaurant after trying to expand and ultimately closing the other locations.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Prunepicker,
    My complete statement was in reference to Bell's restaurant...

C. T
    Was it on or around NW 70th and just east of Western?

Prunepicker,
    That's the one, Bell's, Charlie Newton's, and now Kyle's 1025. It's 1025 N. W. 70th.
    C. T.
    Was it on or around NW 70th and just east of Western?

Had a nice CFS at Charleston's yesterday.

It's *huge*; ridiculously so. But quite tasty. The seasoning in the breading and gravy is really good and the glazed carrots that come with it were tasty as well.

Wouldn't seek this place out but if I ever had occasion to go again, I would probably order the same thing and know I'll be taking more than half of it home with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Had a nice CFS at Charleston's yesterday.

It's *huge*; ridiculously so. But quite tasty. The seasoning in the breading and gravy is really good and the glazed carrots that come with it were tasty as well.

Wouldn't seek this place out but if I ever had occasion to go again, I would probably order the same thing and know I'll be taking more than half of it home with me.
    Try their oven roasted chicken - Excellent, and you'll take half of it home too.

It was so ridiculously large I had to take a photo; note the size in relation to the pint glass:

That's a good looking chicken fried steak. ^^^

The wife and I were wanting to find a good cfs this weekend but were over by Quail Springs and limited on time, so we just ran over to Tucker's for a burger, but I still want to know where to go the next time I have a hankering for one.

About a month or so ago, we were down in the 10th street area and stopped at Chuck House for some chicken fried steak since we haven't been there in quite a while. That place has gone down hill. It certainly is not as good as it used to be and we will likely never be back.

10. Default Re: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It was so ridiculously large I had to take a photo; note the size in relation to the pint glass:

Yikes!

What's with all the green specks ... grated parsley or chives or some other totally unneeded excess sprinkle fest? Or is it just my bad eyes playing color tricks on me again.

Giving Charleston's its due, that is almost a Kendall's size CFS lunch deal.

Better size and appearance than the last time I ordered one in Norman.

Too tired to look upthread......

Ann's Chicken Fry at 39th and Tulsa still has a very tasty cfs.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Too tired to look upthread......

Ann's Chicken Fry at 39th and Tulsa still has a very tasty cfs.
    I looked up thread and had no idea about Swadley's having chicken fry, and we were right there when over by Quail Springs. ... I'll have to try it next time.

I don't think you'll regret it. Swadley's isn't quite as huge as Charleston's -- but it's ALMOST there!

As it happens, I and my wife ate at Charleston's on Memorial between MacArthur and Meridian yesterday afternoon -- but we had the filet with loaded spuds plus huge desserts. It's our go-to location when we need real lifts of spirit. They also offer the entire menu for take-out if you prefer...

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post

About a month or so ago, we were down in the 10th street area and stopped at Chuck House for some chicken fried steak since we haven't been there in quite a while. That place has gone down hill. It certainly is not as good as it used to be and we will likely never be back.
    Sad to hear, that's our go-to CFS place, haven't been there in about 6 months, though, and we noticed it wasn't quite as good as it had been, but it was still pretty decent. Sounds like it might not be even "pretty decent" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    I don't think you'll regret it. Swadley's isn't quite as huge as Charleston's -- but it's ALMOST there!...
    Ok Jim.... I took your advice. The wife and I had to take care of some business with my daughter this evening over by Quail Springs again, so we dropped in to Swadleys afterwards. It was actually pretty good. .... I would definately do it again.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	11564

I see you went for the fried okra; I always go for "sweet beans" and my wife prefers their "campfire potatoes" but you can't go wrong with most any of their sides. And don't forget a cup or two of the free soft-serve to polish off the meal....

Well, Pete's photo, and my lovely's desire to return to Charleston's led me to suggest the one in Norman last night.
    Except for an at times too loud birthday celebration, it was a very enjoyable experience, far better than I expected.

So much so that this place, which has long been appreciated by my spouse and merely endured by me, came off the
    I'll endure it list and is now firmly on my "what about X this time" list.

The CFS was large, flavorful and the gravy was dang decent, and the carrots, well, few if anyone does carrots as well.
    Vastly improved over prior trips, in both food and service.

I also enjoyed the baked potato soup and we both enjoyed their queso and their spinach dip in addition to the CFS. So much so that, exceptionally rare for me, some of the CFS came home with me last night, and a lot of hers came home as well. So far today, I've been good, but it's getting close to late lunch time, so that might just change.

As for the loud birthday group, it is a college town I live in and at times a student with high volume friends is going to turn 21. I'll deal, but I do wish if folks are going to get loud, they'd pick a pub with grub to celebrate rather than a place that is geared more to dining out.

Interior was nicely, read that as dimly, lit. Very appropriate for after 8 evening dining in my opinion. I am not a fan of eateries that light up like high noon and stay that way throughout the night hours. The parking lot, sure, but not in the dining room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    I see you went for the fried okra; I always go for "sweet beans" and my wife prefers their "campfire potatoes" but you can't go wrong with most any of their sides. And don't forget a cup or two of the free soft-serve to polish off the meal....
    I did have a small cup of soft serve, But don't tell anyone.... You I made a happy plate!

Thanks for the tip Jim.

Kevin, ... Next hankerin' I get, we'll try the CFS at the Charlstons up by us. Actually, we are about equal distances between the one on Broadway in Edmond and the one on Memorial. Maybe we'll try both... I'll let you all know how it is.

22. Default Re: The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

May have been mentioned earlier, but Cheever's is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    May have been mentioned earlier, but Cheever's is awesome.
    The CFS on their Google page looks mighty tasty. Never been there, so will have to put them in the loop as well. Thanks!

Y'all got me hungry again. And, after dark in small town Oklahoma, I guess it's a PBJ sandwich.

Ok Jim, Kevin, & Pete. Friday evening , we went over to Charlston's in Edmond, and I had their Chicken Fried Steak..... Mmmmmm Good!. And those glazed were awsome as well. .... Thanks a lot!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	956.8 KB 
ID:	11808

Thread Information