Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Street

Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I have and haven't had that experience. What evidence do you have to show it would be nothing but a parking lot? You also still haven't replied to my last post. Please enlighten us on why you are so against roundabouts?
    I think maybe bouldersooner was talking about OU game days? For 5 or 6 days a year I think it would be relatively easy to make the streets one way - incoming before the game, outgoing after. Ought to be enough time during the game to make the changeover.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I think maybe bouldersooner was talking about OU game days? For 5 or 6 days a year I think it would be relatively easy to make the streets one way - incoming before the game, outgoing after. Ought to be enough time during the game to make the changeover.
    they do that with Lindsey after games now

3. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Yeah Lindsey goes one way right now, well not the part we are talking about getting redesigned. Unless they've changed it, they sit there and utilize the center turn lane as an extra lane based on which way traffic needs to flow. Past Berry to Campus does go one way.

We are still waiting though to get any response of length and worth from him though. He apparently has something driving his position, I think it is fair to ask for him to share it.

So we are back to using 6 Saturdays a year as the design standard for the other 359 days?

Carmel, IN - population 85,000 has over 60 roundabouts. They have replaced 80% of their stoplights.

Important quote: "A roundabout can handle 4 to 5 times the amount of traffic as a traffic signal can in the same amount of time". That is 400% to 500% more efficient.

http://www.structurepoint.com/docume...e_Corridor.pdf

On a related note - the City of Clearwater Beach replaced their main traffic light with a roundabout because traffic was backing up for miles (yes miles) at the traffic light. After some initial issue with the traffic circle design cars are now free flowing through the intersection. Upto 58,000 cars a day go through this roundabout everyday.

http://www.beachnewsletters.com/issues/clwt_dec11.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    And engineers and the automobile win again. This state can be so backwards all the time.
    The automobile is a newer concept than walking and biking lol. . . I understand what you mean by that, but I don't think this is a total loss

6. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The automobile is a newer concept than walking and biking lol. . . I understand what you mean by that, but I don't think this is a total loss
    It is a compromise but the problem is, and I personally feel, with the center median without roundabouts will mean traffic issues with people trying to make a u-turn or block the left lane with no turn lanes. The minute we add turn lanes we then get into the realm of making the raised median pointless.

Can someone post a video of a traffic jam at a roundabout?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I haven't seen a video posted yet of a roundabout with heavy traffic in spite of what was claimed.

There are several "jammed" traffic circles here.

10. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Neither of the "roundabouts" in those videos even look remotely close to the setup they would have for Lindsey street. Also everyone intersection appears to have traffic lights in those videos and some just look like left turning lanes where people just don't yield. I'm not seeing anything where the roundabout is the cause of the backup.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I haven't seen a video posted yet of a roundabout with heavy traffic in spite of what was claimed.

There are several "jammed" traffic circles here.
    I knew it - at the 5:56 mark you finally get to the stop light that is backing up all the traffic..... but now I am motion sick.

Neither of the "roundabouts" in those videos even look remotely close to the setup they would have for Lindsey street. Also everyone intersection appears to have traffic lights in those videos and some just look like left turning lanes where people just don't yield. I'm not seeing anything where the roundabout is the cause of the backup.
    Venture, people are the main cause of all traffic jams whether it's a roundabout or a traditional intersection. Anyone who thinks traffic jams won't happen at traffic circles are totally fooling themselves. I only saw one traffic light in the second video and it was to stop traffic from one direction that was entering the roundabout.

13. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Venture, people are the main cause of all traffic jams whether it's a roundabout or a traditional intersection. Anyone who thinks traffic jams won't happen at traffic circles are totally fooling themselves. I only saw one traffic light in the second video and it was to stop traffic from one direction that was entering the roundabout.
    There were several in there, but I won't make you watch it again. That was rough. LOL

I don't think anyone is saying that there won't be traffic delays on any busy road way - with or without a roundabout. We also need to make sure that we compare like solutions. Modern roundabouts can't be compared to the traffic circles of old that don't have yield entry restrictions, traffic deflections, and increased flare of the entries.

There were several in there, but I won't make you watch it again. That was rough. LOL
    I have watched the second video several times and the only light I saw that could possibly affect people in the roundabout was flashing yellow. I think my videos provided a good contrast to the light traffic videos that were posted previously that obviously are intended to show them in the best light. I'm not a fan as I have stated in numerous times here in various threads.

15. Default Re: Lindsey Street

I have watched the second video several times and the only light I saw that could possibly affect people in the roundabout was flashing yellow. I think my videos provided a good contrast to the light traffic videos that were posted previously that obviously are intended to show them in the best light. I'm not a fan as I have stated in numerous times here in various threads.
    There was a light just 40 seconds in that was red.

Here is a video of the same roundabout (the Oldchurch Roundabout in Romford, Essex) which doesn't really show much in the way of traffic issues.

There was a light just 40 seconds in that was red.

Here is a video of the same roundabout (the Oldchurch Roundabout in Romford, Essex) which doesn't really show much in the way of traffic issues.

I saw the light when it was red and it was just for a very short time. It just was not an issue in the traffic jam at all. It's always possible to find videos of any intersection when there is not a traffic jam and I'm not contending that roundabouts have constant traffic jams. I just don't see them as the panacea that many people envision.

Remember that I was posting in response to Kerry's comment that nobody had posted any videos of traffic jams in a roundabout, as if that didn't occur.

I never drive down Lindsey when going to OU games and that won't change with roundabouts installed.

17. Default Re: Lindsey Street

I saw the light when it was red and it was just for a very short time. It just was not an issue in the traffic jam at all. It's always possible to find videos of any intersection when there is not a traffic jam and I'm not contending that roundabouts have constant traffic jams. I just don't see them as the panacea that many people envision.
    So what do you say then to JTF who is indicating that the traffic jam was caused by a light well away from the roundabout? Of course anyone could find a video of a road being congested or not congested. I don't think anyone is saying they will solve all traffic problems. Heavens knows just increasing the amount of lanes on Lindsey will increase cars which will increase traffic. I think it is important to note that Lindsey will still have lights at 24th and McGee. So traffic will likely still be bad up until that point. Of course the big issue, in my mind, are the multiple pedestrian oriented traffic lights on campus that probably cause worse back ups - if not the myriad of lights from Pickard to campus.

I never drive down Lindsey when going to OU games and that won't change with roundabouts installed.
    I don't think anyone is seriously considering this a solution for game day traffic. That will never be solved as it is just a massive influx of too many people into a small area. To think otherwise is just foolish. This solution needs to be focused on those days when there aren't 80,000 invading our city.

So what do you say then to JTF who is indicating that the traffic jam was caused by a light well away from the roundabout?
    I say that could happen to any roundabout or traditional intersection.

19. Default Re: Lindsey Street

I say that could happen to any roundabout or traditional intersection.
    Of course. I'm just trying to understand the dislike for roundabouts when they can provide for a better flow of traffic and increase the capacity on a street. Not to mention be used to create a very visually stunning gateway into the city.

It is a compromise but the problem is, and I personally feel, with the center median without roundabouts will mean traffic issues with people trying to make a u-turn or block the left lane with no turn lanes. The minute we add turn lanes we then get into the realm of making the raised median pointless.
    Hey, for what it's worth and what I know(which isn't much), a round-a-bout would be great here. Since enrolling at OU, I've been on Lindsey twice now and from what I've seen, there is generally minimal to no traffic, so a round-a-bout with bike lanes and wide sidewalks would do this road great.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    As I don't have any proof, all I can say is, you can't sit there and tell me, that there has been no traffic incidents and jams at round-a-bouts. Again, I think a round-a-bout would be great here, but for something like a 6 lane road, round-a-bouts are not a good option, imo.

Shifting gears a little bit....

Someone earlier mentioned Carmel, Indiana and their roundabouts...well check out this interstate on/off ramp system. This is pretty cool

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=carme...gl=us&t=h&z=19

Here is also a shopping center with great street design as well in Carmel, IN.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=carme...gl=us&t=h&z=17

23. Default Re: Lindsey Street

The Clay Terrace design is pretty popular back north. Pretty much a hybrid lifestyle center layout. What UNP should have looked like instead of acres of parking in front of stores versus along the interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    As I don't have any proof, all I can say is, you can't sit there and tell me, that there has been no traffic incidents and jams at round-a-bouts. Again, I think a round-a-bout would be great here, but for something like a 6 lane road, round-a-bouts are not a good option, imo.
    That is the thing though - if we used the more efficient traffic circle we wouldn't need 6 lane roads.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    Shifting gears a little bit....

Someone earlier mentioned Carmel, Indiana and their roundabouts...well check out this interstate on/off ramp system. This is pretty cool

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=carme...gl=us&t=h&z=19

Here is also a shopping center with great street design as well in Carmel, IN.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=carme...gl=us&t=h&z=17
    Carmel, IN is doing some really awesome things.

Thread Information