Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Street

Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    He has some decent ideas and is pretty smart but he would be considered as some one who is extremely left by any reasonable standard.
    It's so weird how often the far left and the far right actually seem to have in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Does this thread remind anyone of the scene in 'City Slickers' - no, not the Yeehaw scene... the one where Mitch is trying to explain to Phil how to program the VCR but Phil just doesn't get it and on the last attempt to explain it Ed flips out and starts yelling that he (Phil) is never going to get it and even the cows understand it by now?

This thread has become like that.

It's more like explaining the very simple elementary economics of a very unique situation

3. Default Re: Lindsey Street

It's more like explaining the very simple elementary economics of a very unique situation
    Let's go this route. Did you watch the video of Dan Buden's presentation?

He may have good advisers but Boren is not an expert on road designs.
    Wait, what? So now you're saying you do not trust OU's top official to determine what is best for OU? Maybe you should take a break from posting for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    It's so weird how often the far left and the far right actually seem to have in common.
    You ask

Regardless of far right or left I don't know of anyone who doesn’t want a better Lindsey street.....
    Perhaps it could be made better but I believe we have that at a minimum

Wait, what? So now you're saying you do not trust OU's top official to determine what is best for OU? Maybe you should take a break from posting for a while!

I am not say any such thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But one would be a very big fool to think Boren batts 1000%

B

I needed some comic relief today. And...

...this

thread

DELIVERS!

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Yet you just pointed out that you support the direction that OU leadership if given on this and trust in their judgement - yet they support the roundabouts. Not reinventing anything, just pointing out the confusion your position is creating because we are being served conflicting statements.
    Show me where I said that I did not trust what OU wanted to do.

Show me where I said that I did not trust what OU wanted to do.
    WTF? Look up two posts when you say that Boren is not necessarily the right person to make the decision. Are you high?

I needed some comic relief today. And...

...this

thread

DELIVERS!
    Yep, different day different thread but its the the fantasy world coming to life again!

WTF? Look up two posts when you say that Boren is not necessarily the right person to make the decision. Are you high?
    Thats hardly saying that he can't make a good judgment call if he is well advised on the issue
    Great Big Huge Difference, you really are grasping now!

I'll let you have the last word here. Ahem.

Roundabouts or not …. now that we have a reasonably decent idea about what they will be building on Lindsey and its improvement .... It's really probably time to move on and decide on how Lindsey should be rebuilt from Elm to Barry..... since Boren say they should do something with that stretch of Lindsey too?

14. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Roundabouts or not …. now that we have a reasonably decent idea about what they will be building on Lindsey and its improvement .... It's really probably time to move on and decide on how Lindsey should be rebuilt from Elm to Barry..... since Boren say they should do something with that stretch of Lindsey too?
    Logical solution would be maintain 2 lanes through there but string smaller roundabouts to eliminate all traffic lights. Speed limit right now is 25 mph (when traffic is moving)...roundabouts would normally take it down to about 20 mph but keep traffic moving until the next hang up. That hung up is going to be on campus and OU needs to address that. Smaller roundabouts would also allow minimal right of way purchasing and keep capacity inline to handle 20,000+ vehicles a day.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Yet you just pointed out that you support the direction that OU leadership if given on this and trust in their judgement - yet they support the roundabouts. Not reinventing anything, just pointing out the confusion your position is creating because we are being served conflicting statements.
    Better be careful Venture - you are on thin ice with that "discussing behavior". You will be blocked soon!

Curbs, bike lanes, wide sidewalks on both sides of the street, decorative crosswalks, and replace the stop lights with roundabouts. If they do something between Elm and Jenkins I recommend bike lanes, decorative raised crosswalks, and a couple of HAWK systems.

Here in Jax they took all the stop lights off of San Marco Blvd just south of downtown and put in roundabouts and all I can say is wow - it is 1000X better. I'll take some pictures next time I am down there (which is every few days). In Google Street view you can still see how it used to be.

Okay, that was weird.

Anyway, I've been watching the presentation a few pages back and I finally got to the Lindsey roundabout examples at around 52 minutes in. Here's a link that should get you to about where it starts: Dan Burden: Livable Lindsey Street Workshop - YouTube.

Maybe what Kovach needs is to meet up a group like the Friends for a Better Blvd group out of OKC. Some trains can danged well be slowed if the brakes get applied instead of just having someone shoveling more manure, er, um, fuel in the firebox.

Anyone have the time to meet with some FBB folk and kick up an LRR (Lindsey Roundabouts Rule) group?

19. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Okay, that was weird.

Anyway, I've been watching the presentation a few pages back and I finally got to the Lindsey roundabout examples at around 52 minutes in. Here's a link that should get you to about where it starts: Dan Burden: Livable Lindsey Street Workshop - YouTube.
    Thanks for posting the shortcut! I would hope those that are sharing their two cents on this topic took the time to view the video so they are educated on what is being proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Curbs, bike lanes, wide sidewalks on both sides of the street, decorative crosswalks, and replace the stop lights with roundabouts. If they do something between Elm and Jenkins I recommend bike lanes, decorative raised crosswalks, and a couple of HAWK systems.

Here in Jax they took all the stop lights off of San Marco Blvd just south of downtown and put in roundabouts and all I can say is wow - it is 1000X better. I'll take some pictures next time I am down there (which is every few days). In Google Street view you can still see how it used to be.
    What is that?

High Intensity Activated Crosswalk

Now that's pretty cool. Why aren't they building these everywhere? Seeing as how Edmond likely spent a fortune on their lights on the new Covell and Kelly, it wouldn't be much more to have included these. I would only assume bikes on bike lanes would stop at these as well. . .

Lots of places are putting them in. Tucson, AZ has more than 60 installed. I use one in Atlanta when I walk to lunch. They are very similar to the crosswalks in England except our cars are going much faster so we need an over kill on the visual warning. They just have a striped pole with a yellow light on top. They are called zebra poles.

I noticed they have them in Tucson. A surprisingly number of people completely ignored the red light though.

There's a crosswalk and school zone by the Del City High School that has lots of flashing lights, but it's not a Hawk crosswalk. There's a crosswalk in Norman on Porter / Classen (I never know which name the street is using) near the Greyhound stop that is surprisingly well lit, as well. Short of building a Hawk crosswalk, lighting it up like in Del City and Norman did in those two instances seems smart.

Thread Information