Widgets Magazine

Thread: Restaurants That Are New To You

1. Default Restaurants That Are New To You

Probably, there's a thread this would fit into, but I couldn't quickly find it. So, I'll just start a new one ... Restaurants you've recently tried that are new to you.

I live in the Mesta Park area and, this evening, I had a hankerin' for some pizza. My first impulse was to order from places I've done before that are nearby ... e.g., Dominos, Hemis. But, it occurred to me that I'd not yet tried a farily new place at 1807 N Classen, Joey's Pizzeria. I couldn't remember the name so I just drove a few blocks to place an "in person" order.

I'm glad I did. It's a modest place, not fancy, but comfortable, and spotlessly clean, on Classen across the street (west) from the Homeland at 18th & Classen. They have a very nice (and, for a pizza place, unusual) menu ... the sections are "Wings & Things", "Salads", "Pizzas & Calzones", "Deserts", "Pastas", and "Subs".

Of course, since I had a hankerin', I wanted pizza. I glanced at the menu, and I said, uh, how about if I just tell you what I want (i.e., in terms that I was familiar with). He (maybe Joey) said, "Sure." I said: I want a large veggie, with canadian bacon, and a smattering of jalapenos.

What that translates to on Joey's menu is: "Herbivorous Maximus" (red onions, mushrooms, green peppers, black olives, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli & mozzerella), plus elements of "Colossal Meat", with the jalapenos thrown in just right, e.g, very carefully so that I didn't need a fire extinguisher.

This was one of the most delightful pizzas I've ever eaten ... huge amounts of toppings & cheese ... very nice crust (easy to eat, not too soft, not too hard), perhaps with a bit of a cinammon overtone, I'm not sure. No way that my wife and I could eat the whole thing (though I tried ... maybe before the night is done, who can say?).

I most heartily recommend it. No website as yet, though, when I called back and gave my accolades and asked about that, I was told that, in a few days (?), one would be up: http://www.joeyspizzeriaokc.com, but that link doesn't work as we speak. 1807 N Classen, 525-8503.

Doug

2. Default Re: Restaurants That Are New To You

the one i tried recentley was tobey kieth. of cource that is new. havent been to any hole in the wall restaurants that you mentioned. i usually stay away from those.

Default Re: Restaurants That Are New To You

havent been to any hole in the wall restaurants that you mentioned. i usually stay away from those.
    Bummer. You're missing out on some damn good fajita's at Margarita's, classic onion burgers at Abrahams, and fat deli sandwhiches at ND Foods. It's not unusual for the "hole in the walls" to be better than the big industry places and they're almost always locally owned.

I'll have to try Joey's, Doug. Have you been to the new Guatemalan place that located in Cafe Do Brazil's old location? I'm very curious.

4. Default Re: Restaurants That Are New To You

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    Bummer. You're missing out on some damn good fajita's at Margarita's, classic onion burgers at Abrahams, and fat deli sandwhiches at ND Foods. It's not unusual for the "hole in the walls" to be better than the big industry places and they're almost always locally owned.

I'll have to try Joey's, Doug. Have you been to the new Guatemalan place that located in Cafe Do Brazil's old location? I'm very curious.
    No, I haven't, but I've heard one good report about it from an on-line friend, who said: "Their food is vastly different from anything I've had before. For example, I ordered their "Enchiladas". I got a piece of flat bread covered in some kind of carrot hash, covered by purple cabbage with a boiled egg and various other things on top. It was quite good (and good for me)."

Well, truth is, "good for me" is a red flag that I might NOT like it ... since I tend to mostly enoy food that isn't! But, I do plan to give it a try ... as long as they don't have veggie-burgers on their menu, a "for-sure" tip-off to these old taste buds o' mine!

as long as they don't have veggie-burgers on their menu, a for-sure tip-off to these old taste buds!

Have you ever tried VZ's black bean burger? It's a "veggie burger" I guarantee you'll like. I actually like it better than their regular burger. I have a friend who gets it with jalapenos and cream cheese and they love it.

6. Angry Re: Restaurants That Are New To You

Ha Ha! "Black Bean BURGER"? Where's the meat?

Seriously, try it. I will buy a burger if you don't like it.

Thread Information