Widgets Magazine

Thread: 1970s local hosted movie show. After midnight?

Lightbulb 1970s local hosted movie show. After midnight?

I recall a locally made TV movie show with a male and female host. Their theme song was Clapton's "After Midnight." Unfortunately, that's all I can recall. Except that I was a teenager growing up in Duncan at the time and I had a huge crush on the female host. Any help?

Default Re: 1970s local hosted movie show. After midnight?

Quote Originally Posted by athensjohn View Post
    I recall a locally made TV movie show with a male and female host. Their theme song was Clapton's "After Midnight." Unfortunately, that's all I can recall. Except that I was a teenager growing up in Duncan at the time and I had a huge crush on the female host. Any help?
    Trust House Jewlers. Remember it well. They were always showing the Big Diamonds & Gold during commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Trust House Jewlers. Remember it well. They were always showing the Big Diamonds & Gold during commercials.
    That was Jim and Gloria Berkey who retired a few years ago.

She would twitch that ring back and forth so quick you couldn't really focus on it.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    And turquoise!

The initial female host was a lady name Lorene Marvin. Starkeys wife was not on the show at the start but she came along later. When Lorene left the show ratings fell off a bit and towards the end of the show run ratings were in the tank.

And toward the end of the run, Berkey would move it from one station to another periodically, depending on who would give him the lowest price for the time. I heard this direct from the late Jerry Dalrymple, who at the time was station manager for Channel 9...

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    The initial female host was a lady name Lorene Marvin. Starkeys wife was not on the show at the start but she came along later. When Lorene left the show ratings fell off a bit and towards the end of the show run ratings were in the tank.

I think the 1st hostess was better looking,a blonde if I remember correctly. Berkey's wife had dark hair and a little heavyset,not that there's anything wrong with being heavyset. I have a gut myself.

Somehow or another, I think the original poster was more likely talking about Carolyn (Singleton) Bilbry (sp?). I can't imagine anyone having a crush on the others mentioned. With Caroline, ANY man would have a crush on her.

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    Somehow or another, I think the original poster was more likely talking about Carolyn (Singleton) Bilbry (sp?). I can't imagine anyone having a crush on the others mentioned. With Caroline, ANY man would have a crush on her.
    Yes, the Trust House lady is not the one -- and I don't think they used the "After Midnight" song. Anything more about Caroline (Carolyn?) Singleton Bilbry?

I liked the Berkey's cars and vanity tags. He had a Rolls Royce with the tag "Glory B" (her name was Gloria), and she had an Excalibur which I believe is made by Rolls Royce, with the tag "O MR B". They both died not long after he closed the store. I believe he had cancer and that's why he retired. She died a couple of years after that.
    C. T.

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    I liked the Berkey's cars and vanity tags. He had a Rolls Royce with the tag "Glory B" (her name was Gloria), and she had an Excalibur which I believe is made by Rolls Royce, with the tag "O MR B". They both died not long after he closed the store. I believe he had cancer and that's why he retired. She died a couple of years after that.
    C. T.
    I remember them coming in often to grocery shop at the Safeway on 63rd and MacArthur while I was employed there as a "courtesy clerk" (bagger). They each drove their own cars to the store and shopped together. They were very nice to us lowly baggers and were great tippers.

Where did they live that they shopped at 63rd & McArthur?

Pete,
    I seem to remember that they lived South of the Berkey Brothers Jewelers on the South side of N. W. Expressway, just East of MacArthur. Somewhere back in that area. I do know that he drove home often on Grand, and around the South edge of lake Hefner because I used to pass him going in the opposite direction when I was going home.
    C. T.

I need pictures....LOL. I do remember the Trust House couple, but not the others.

16. Default Re: 1970s local hosted movie show. After midnight?

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    C. T.
    Excaliburs were built by a small Milwaukee company and used Chevy mechanical components. They were an awesome looking car. Now, back to the movies.

SoonerSoftail,
    I stand corrected. I wasn't sure, I should have looked it up before opening my mouth. I had heard from someone at work several years ago that it was made by RR, obviously, he wasn't any smarter than me.
    Thanks,
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Excaliburs were built by a small Milwaukee company and used Chevy mechanical components. They were an awesome looking car. Now, back to the movies.

Thread Information