Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Luster House

1. Default Re: 300 NE 3rd Street

The Burgess House has a nice ring to it....

2. Default Re: 300 NE 3rd Street

There is no way that building is in worse shape than the houses on 9th Street that are now home to Hillbilly's Po Boys and Sara Sara Cupcakes. I also think it would make a great coffee shop, a tiny bistro or even a little pub, a la Skinny Slim's (it is actually much larger than SS). Barring that, a cool office of some sort or a house would be interesting. See the converted Alan's Restaurant space on Hudson for an example of street-level commercial space converted to housing.

Default Re: 300 NE 3rd Street

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I so badly want this property.
    I would buy it too. Every time we walk by we lament the shape it's in. But it has great bones. I agree that the properties on 9th were in far worse shape so I would totally take it on as a project.

4. Default Re: 300 NE 3rd Street

The door being (what appears to be) busted open, makes you wonder how many people "live" there.

The porch on that small house is in serious danger of collapse.

Yet another example of how municipal codes are not enforced in OKC, allowing properties to get so run down they are not only a detriment to the community, but also beyond the point of repair.

We've seen it so many times and then the owner applies for demolition because the structure is beyond saving.

I know there is now an initiative to deal with abandoned structures in certain areas and I hope it will help to avoid these situations.

Blog Entries

Can the city declare it a public nuisance and take possession by ED?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Can the city declare it a public nuisance and take possession by ED?
    no

The plan seems to be to levy fines / fees for abandoned properties which will force some sort of action on the owners.

I created a new thread on this topic, because it's an important issue:

http://www.okctalk.com/other-urban-d...buildings.html

OKLAHOMA CITY — Leaders in Oklahoma City unveil plans to crackdown on the number of vacant and abandoned buildings in the city. Those buildings drag down property values and cost the city millions of dollars.

Right now there are more than 12,000 vacant homes and businesses in Oklahoma City. Low taxes and penalties allow those buildings to sit empty for years, sometimes even decades.

“It’s extremely frustrating to see these places exist in the same state for 18 years,” said Walter Jacques.

“The main reason buildings are vacant in Oklahoma City is because of the very low holding costs,” said city planning director Russell Claus.

For example, the Walcourt building near downtown has been vacant for 37 years. The owner pays four cents a square foot in taxes. Neighbors pay 16 times that amount.

“The markets out of whack. These buildings are actually being incentivized to be vacant,” said Claus.

To help solve the vacancy problems, the city council could soon set up a registry to track abandoned properties and levy some small administrative fees, but state lawmakers would have to sign off on increasing the financial burden of owning vacant properties to meet city costs.

“We’re not taking away the right to have vacant properties. We’re just saying you have to pay the fair cost of that,” said Claus.

10. Default Re: 300 NE 3rd Street

This is what Shop Good on 9th looked like before the remodel. Pachinko/Hillbilly's was far worse, though I can't find a photo.

Here's the after:

It is possible to restore buildings like this and come away with results that have far more charm and sense of place than most any infill new construction would.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    This is what Shop Good on 9th looked like before the remodel. Pachinko/Hillbilly's was far worse, though I can't find a photo.

Here's the after:

It is possible to restore buildings like this and come away with results that have far more charm and sense of place than most any infill new construction would.
    Great example. Can you imagine if the buildings that house Iguana, Shop Good, Sara Sara cupcakes and Hilly billy po-boys (formerly Pachinko Parlor) were torn down and a long strip shopping center with parking fronting the street built in their place? I have to applaud Steve Mason for his vision of this area.

Here's Hillbillies:

I would love to buy this property. All I need is money.

14. Default Re: 300 NE 3rd Street

Thanks for finding the Pachinko before/after Pete. That before photo doesn't even do the decrepitness justice. That house had trees growing out of the cellar.

Dang it... what the hay? Look at this:

Oh man, that's where I put my strong box with priceless valuables in it. I thought it would be safe, but someone broke in and took it!
    It had stocks, bonds, jewelry, and tickets to Les Miserables. Oh the loss!

But seriously....

Great pics Will. That's a grand looking house. Needs just a little TLC here and there, but otherwise, wonderful.

16. Default Re: 300 NE 3rd Street

Holy cow, this really looks dangerous.

It's amazing how poorly OKC's municipal codes are enforced. This property has to be breaking at least a dozen.

18. Default Re: 300 NE 3rd Street

Another thing that concerns me is the state of the terra cotta tile roof. I had the same style roof on the home I lived in in Gatewood. It needed tens of thousands in repairs. A roof like that can be good for many, many decades, but it was in need of repair. From the street it looked flawless, but any time there was a lot of rain, water poured into the attic, down walls etc.

That roof does NOT look flawless from the street.

That house would have to be a labor of love. Renovation like that house will require would not be cheap, but it would be rewarding to restore it. I think you would get an emotional/intellectual reward, but the financial reward would not be certain - at least in the short run.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it turned into another law office.

21. Default Re: 300 NE 3rd Street

22. Default Re: 300 NE 3rd Street

Man I'm frightened for the future of that little commercial building. Even as it sits forlorn and decrepit, when combined with the house and the neighborhood it exudes a character and sense of place that no longer exists in OKC. It would be a truly tragic wasted opportunity if something happens to it.

Deep Deuce 300 NE 3rd St

Does anyone have any information on this property? I live right by it and I am so intrigued by it.

Default Re: 300 NE 3rd St

Thread Information