Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic Corporation

Default Re: Sonic Corporation

ljbab, sorry if I came across as snarky in my last post... Just re-read it and didn't mean to come across that way.

I actually inquired about a franchise for Southern California several years ago and was told they were all taken. Whoever has the one for L.A. County had one very little in a very prime area. It's different franchisees for Orange County, San Diego and Bakersfield who are all building a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not trying to be argumentative and I'm not saying they are everywhere but the nearest to downtown LA in Duarte is about 16 miles away and the location in Anaheim is about 23 miles away. That's almost next door in LA terms.
    But as I recall, Pete is in Thousand Oaks, which is on the order of 40 miles from downtown L.A.

When I lived out there my house was in Santa Susana (annexed into L.A. by 1967). and it was a 15-mile drive to my work in Canoga Park. That, in turn, was at least that far from downtown L.A. And Thousand Oaks was around 15 miles away from me, on the side opposite Canoga POark and L.A. That comes out to about 45 miles, but Santa Su was way north of a straight path from Canoga Park to Thousand Oaks...

I'm sure all this has changed greatly since I left there very early in 1962 -- a bit more than 52 years ago! Then, Thousand Oaks was little more than a post office...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ljbab, sorry if I came across as snarky in my last post... Just re-read it and didn't mean to come across that way.

I actually inquired about a franchise for Southern California several years ago and was told they were all taken. Whoever has the one for L.A. County had one very little in a very prime area. It's different franchisees for Orange County, San Diego and Bakersfield who are all building a bunch.
    Aren't you in Ventura county? Or it just the area north of the coastal hills? I was in Ventura county and the dividing line was just a bit northwest of Chatsworth...

Duarte is lightyears from downtown L.A. in terms of travel time and Anaheim is twice as bad.

Let's put it this way, no one in Los Angeles has any clue about Sonic other than seeing the now-national TV ads.

Jim, I live very near the LA/Ventura county line.

But as a management consultant, I'm all over L.A. One of my last projects was in Long Beach which is almost two hours away and still in LA County!

Duarte on the best possible day is still over an hour away. The only times I've ever been is going to/from Palm Springs.

Jim, I live very near the LA/Ventura county line.

But as a management consultant, I'm all over L.A. One of my last projects was in Long Beach which is almost two hours away and still in LA County!

Duarte on the best possible day is still over an hour away. The only times I've ever been is going to/from Palm Springs.
    That means I was there last year and didn't even know it. I was visiting my brother, who has lived in LA for about 35 years, and I drove us from the Hollywood area to Palm Springs for a short getaway. I didn't see the Sonic. LOL

That Sonic is a few blocks off the freeway... You'd have to know it's there.

I do triathlons out in Palm Springs and I always make my carpool-mates stop at Sonic and they've all loved it.

Believe it or not, there are absolutely zero drive-in's in L.A. Wish I could get a franchise!

That Sonic is a few blocks off the freeway... You'd have to know it's there.

I do triathlons out in Palm Springs and I always make my carpool-mates stop at Sonic and they've all loved it.

Believe it or not, there are absolutely zero drive-in's in L.A. Wish I could get a franchise!
    I believe you Pete, I've been visiting relatives in L.A. regularly since the 50's so I'm very familiar with the area. It's kind of like how crazy the people here are about a possible In-N-Out Burger location. We all want something new and different.

Yes, that's the Rancho Cucamonga location.
    Dude: You are always trying to be argumentative. And that's a good thing. Isn't it?
    It's, like that other dude . . . from ancient mythology . . . lookin' fer the truth . . . with a lantern (or whatever).

So . . . Where's My Braum's? (with sidewalks and an appreciation for the natural local environment . . .?) =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Dude: You are always trying to be argumentative. And that's a good thing. Isn't it?
    It's, like that other dude . . . from ancient mythology . . . lookin' fer the truth . . . with a lantern (or whatever).

So . . . Where's My Braum's? (with sidewalks and an appreciation for the natural local environment . . .?) =)
    Sorry, but Braum's hasn't made it to LA yet. I'm angling for a franchise in Palm Springs with Leslie Gore as a partner.

If you are angling, I trust you are using the right bait . . .
    (So why doesn't Sonic have an organic, fresh caught, fish sandwich like . . ....Arby's?)

(or, a Tuna Frenchie)

(Frankly . . . This is all beginning to read like a Virtual Running of the Bull[*] somewhere in Spain =)

[Always tip "the help" at Sonic]

For the California Market: Sonic Sushi. Non Fried. Here is a Fish and some sauce. Eat it.

If you are angling, I trust you are using the right bait . . .
    (So why doesn't Sonic have an organic, fresh caught, fish sandwich like . . ....Arby's?)

(or, a Tuna Frenchie)

(Frankly . . . This is all beginning to read like a Virtual Running of the Bull[*] somewhere in Spain =)

[Always tip "the help" at Sonic]
    Well, it has something to do with bull, alright.

Well, it has something to do with bull, alright.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. thanks.
    (yet i still like the ad campaign)
    (almost makes me want to alter my eating plan)

[QUOTE=RadicalModerate;778842(p.s.: If you ever choose to visit a Sonic location, wherever it may be, tip the help generously. At least a couple of dollars.)[/QUOTE]

I tip based on carhop hotness. That's the correct way of doing it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I guess I'd have to ask the former owner of the LA Clippers for the proper answer to that question . . . =)

I guess I'd have to ask the former owner of the LA Clippers for the proper answer to that question . . . =)
    I think he patronizes "IN n OUT". (Rimshot)

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Sometimes if you tip, they tip... that should be their motto

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I think he patronizes "IN n OUT". (Rimshot)
    So do Walter and The Dude . . . and sometimes that "Shut The 'F' Up Donnie" guy who later starred in the original Fargo.
    So it's all good . . . ain't it? =)

Speaking of "tipping" . . . would it be in bad form, or simply in bad taste, to suggest that the owner of "The Clippers" might consider visiting a mohel to get circumcised at about the collar line? Or is it just too soon?

(don't worry: I was never able to solve Rubik's Cube. yet I did think about it for a couple of minutes. =)

So do Walter and The Dude . . . and sometimes that "Shut The 'F' Up Donnie" guy who later starred in the original Fargo.
    So it's all good . . . ain't it? =)

Speaking of "tipping" . . . would it be in bad form, or simply in bad taste, to suggest that the owner of "The Clippers" might consider visiting a mohel to get circumcised at about the collar line? Or is it just too soon?

(don't worry: I was never able to solve Rubik's Cube. yet I did think about it for a couple of minutes. =)
    Off topic but reminded me of an old joke. Why do lawyers wear neck ties?............................................. .......To keep the foreskin down!

There was a dispute between California franchisees and the corporation a number of years ago. I do not know if the issue was resolved. I wonder if California regulations influence the reason there are not more Sonics in California. I knew a guy from Exeter in the central California area that thought Sonic was a great concept. He said there were not any in his area he knew of.

Bigray in Ok

A new test kitchen is coming to the downtown headquarters.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/4746481?embargo=1

Sonic Corp. is building a new 3,429-square-foot test kitchen at its corporate headquarters in Bricktown designed to take the company’s menu to the next level as the company embarks on plans to grow the chain by 1,000 new locations over the next 10 years.

If they are going to add 1,000 location in the next 10 years they are going to have to try something besides the drive-in model. They might have to follow the lead of Checkers, an east coast drive-thru concept, that has allowed franchises to drop the drive-thru portion of their operation as they enter urban markets (which is where their customer base is moving).

Checkers makes a rally for the Chicago market | Voices

If the black-and-white checked exterior of fast-food drive-thru Checkers has seemed absent from the Chicago dining landscape, wait no longer. Instead, get ready for a slimmed-down version.

Checkers Drive-In Restaurants opened its first new location in more than a year Thursday, at 4320 W. North Ave, the first of four Chicagoland locations slated to open this year. The chain — branded as either Checkers or Rally’s depending on the region — has more than 700 locations nationwide, but has been limited in its expansion efforts because of the double drive-thru design.

To break into denser markets like Chicago, the company decided to loosen constraints on corporate and franchise locations build-out options, says Jennifer Durham, Checkers vice president of franchise development. “We’ve really evolved the restaurant formats and the designs to incorporate whatever it is that’s needed in that particular trade area,” Durham says.

For a congested city like Chicago, that means allowing single-lane drive thrus, strip mall end caps and building conversions to better accommodate pedestrian and mass transit traffic.

Food industry research consultancy Technomic executive vice president Darren Tristano doesn’t think that ditching the double drive-through will hurt Checkers’ brand, which he called “relatively flat.” “This is going to help them expand the brand beyond more of the rural and suburban locations, into the more hip, urban places,” Tristano says.

The move also allows franchisees to forgo the high costs of building from the ground up. “Ultimately, at the end of the day for any franchise owner or for the company, it’s about making certain that you have a good return on investment. That’s where it all starts and ends,” Durham says.

A new test kitchen is coming to the downtown headquarters.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/4746481?embargo=1
    They need a new facility that trains employees how to get orders right.

24. Default Re: Sonic Corporation

Which location are you frequenting? I wouldn't say that Sonic is my absolute favorite fast food purveyor, but the ones I visit ARE among the most consistently-correct order-fillers of just about any brand I can think of. The most inconsistent place I can think of is the Taco Bueno on NW 23rd, which I honestly estimate gets at least one thing wrong/omitted 9 of 10 visits.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    If they are going to add 1,000 location in the next 10 years they are going to have to try something besides the drive-in model. They might have to follow the lead of Checkers, an east coast drive-thru concept, that has allowed franchises to drop the drive-thru portion of their operation as they enter urban markets (which is where their customer base is moving).

Checkers makes a rally for the Chicago market | Voices
    I believe a previous article about their growth desire stated as much - more sit-down stores, especially up north. It might be linked earlier in the thread...?

Thread Information