Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 154 12345651101 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Default OKC Mayor Race 2014

I don't know if this belongs more appropriately in the politics thread or here since it is an OKC-centric issue, but moderators can fix if it needs to be moved.

Now that Ed Shadid is officially declaring his candidacy, the race is set to begin. Mayor Cornett hasn't indicated whether he will seek re-election (that I know of), but if he does run again, it will be a hell of a race and I think he would be favored to retain the seat. If he does not run, who else would be strong contenders?

Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

if cornett runs there won't be any race to speak of .. he will win in a land slide ..

He barely beat the pot head that didn't campaign last time. This is going to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    He barely beat the pot head that didn't campaign last time. This is going to be interesting.
    That was an election with less than 10% turnout. Did anyone campaign in that election? Better yet, was anyone paying attention?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I don't know if this belongs more appropriately in the politics thread or here since it is an OKC-centric issue, but moderators can fix if it needs to be moved.

Now that Ed Shadid is officially declaring his candidacy, the race is set to begin. Mayor Cornett hasn't indicated whether he will seek re-election (that I know of), but if he does run again, it will be a hell of a race and I think he would be favored to retain the seat. If he does not run, who else would be strong contenders?
    My assumption is that Mayor Cornett likes being Mayor of OKC. If Cornett decides that it's time to move on, do you think Kirk Humphreys wants his old job back?

Anyone think Andrew Rice may want to jump in the ring? Keeping Mick would be my preference, but Rice could be a very good mayor, IMO. He would represent a pragmatic progressivism with the ability to lead and compromise to get things accomplished for OKC. He is very politically savvy and is extremely popular in wards Shadid would have to carry by large margins to even have a fighting chance.

Quote Originally Posted by LordGerald View Post
    My assumption is that Mayor Cornett likes being Mayor of OKC. If Cornett decides that it's time to move on, do you think Kirk Humphreys wants his old job back?
    Humphreys doesn't live in OKC anymore. I don't think he'd want it back.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Anyone think Andrew Rice may want to jump in the ring? Keeping Mick would be my preference, but Rice could be a very good mayor, IMO. He would represent a pragmatic progressivism with the ability to lead and compromise to get things accomplished for OKC. He is very politically savvy and is extremely popular in wards Shadid would have to carry by large margins to even have a fighting chance.
    Would rather see him make a bid for Governor.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    That's an uphill climb. I agree he would be good, but he would have a better than 50/50 shot of winning the mayoral race if Cornett decides not to run.

I could support Andrew Rice if Mayor Cornett is not going to run. He's very rational and fair.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I like him but there's hardly a chance he beats Mary Fallin.

I wouldn't vote for Shadid because I don't know what he stands for, only that he appears to be against many of the things that have moved the city forward. I could be swayed, but at this point that's what I see in Shadid.

Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    Off topic, but ... really? I don't think that Mary Fallin won as much as Jari Askins lost to the Republican Party. Can't back that up -- just my impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Off topic, but ... really? I don't think that Mary Fallin won as much as Jari Askins lost to the Republican Party. Can't back that up -- just my impression.
    Faith, Family, Freedom et. al. Ring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Faith, Family, Freedom et. al. Ring it up.
    Faith and family... from a woman who cheated on her husband with her own security detail.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Humphreys doesn't live in OKC anymore. I don't think he'd want it back.
    when did he move?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    when did he move?
    Year or two ago. Commutes from Carlton Landing to OKC - stays here 3 days a week or so. That is all 2nd hand, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Year or two ago. Commutes from Carlton Landing to OKC - stays here 3 days a week or so. That is all 2nd hand, by the way.
    surprised he was allowed to serve on the CC committee as long as he was

As long as Humphreys spends the majority of the time here (4 out of 7 days), think he would still be considered an OKC resident???

That said, I have absolutely no use for most of the mayoral candidates suggested here. If Cornett does stay in he will probably win, but I don't think it would necessarily be a landslide like he has had before. Think in the last election it was 58% compared to the 87% he was re-elected by the time before???

Cornett? Nope. Shortly after he was re-elected by a landslide the 1st time, he announced he was running for Congress (lost to Fallin). Then there was the spin, half-triths and lies in the MAPS 3 campaign.

Shadid? Nope. Good Councilman but not good Mayor material. Then there is the same basic violation to serve for the complete term he was elected.

Humphreys? Nope. He campaigned that we could finish MAPS "on time and on budget" then proceeded to get the 6 month MAPS extension passed. One thing I will give him credit for, when he decided to run for Senate (lost), he resigned as Mayor.

Rice? Nope. Along with his resigning his State Senate seat, to many issues to even begin to go into with that one.

None of these folks seem to give a tinker's dam about fulfilling the most basic promise to those that elected them...that they will serve the entire term..."Vote for me, I want to be your __________ (that is until something else comes up that sounds better)". Same was true for many others that I voted for and thought they did a good job in that elected position and would even probably be a good choice for the next post (but not always, as i the case of my Councilman Shadid).

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    She seems to be pretty well liked, aside from here perhaps, so unless she screws things up badly its hard to beat the incumbent.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Rice? Nope. Along with his resigning his State Senate seat, to many issues to even begin to go into with that one.
    What about resigning his Senate seat? You know that he resigned so his wife could make a career choice for her benefit? That required they move out of state. I fail to see how supporting your spouse would be a negative.

All my interactions with Rice (albeit limited, at school functions for our kids) have been positive.

Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    I disagree. Fallin turning down medicaid expansion money, leaving hundreds of thousands with no health insurance options could certainly backfire. Plus, I think many of those that want more of a focus on education are starting to turn against her. Not to mention the thousands of state employees that havent seen a raise in 8 years.

If there is a quality Dem that could exploit these issues, while also distancing themselves from Obama, I would think they could easily give Mary a run for her money.

BrettM2: While not as bad as the reasons other have resigned (for their own employment interests), he could have finished out his term and then relocated. That happens all the time with relocations. Often the transferring spouse will relocate first with the family to follow. Interesting that apparently the career move didn't work out because they moved back???

There are acceptable personal reasons to resign (such as ones own health or to be the caretaker of another family member. I just don't see Rice's case as one of those acceptable exceptions. But like I said, there are many more reasons to not vote for Rice, that one just kept with the theme of the other possible candidates mentioned.

For those that have resigned, they should be responsible for the cost of the special elections that are sometimes required to fill their seat. Out of their own pocket (no campaign money etc).

I heard a rumor today that ex-Commerce Secretary David Lopez was considering a possible run if Cornett does not run. Anyone know anything about him?

25. Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Well, first of all he is not EX- but rather CURRENT- Commerce Secretary. I've known Dave for close to 20 years and he's one of the finest, most genuine people I've ever known. He first came to OKC as president of the local division of SBC (or Southwestern Bell or whatever it was at the time). He instantly loved OKC and quickly became involved with the business and public service communities. He was transferred back to San Antonio to serve as president of the Texas-Oklahoma division, but when he retired from SBC he chose to move BACK to OKC, despite not being from here originally.

He has served as chairman of the (OKC) Chamber, after retirement from SBC he served as President of Downtown Oklahoma City Incorporated, upon leaving there he became president of the American Fidelity Foundation. He's been Commerce Secretary since 2011. The guy has a deep and abiding love for this city, and I can't say enough good things about him. If the stars aligned properly, we'd be lucky to have him as our mayor.

All that said, I have ZERO information regarding whether he is interested in that office.

Thread Information