Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 154 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156106 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    he's treating this like he's running for Student Government
    Actually, I was thinking like President of the United States. The national election campaigns have been pretty immature and ugly.

touche!

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Ed got a Political Science degree in Chicago. Are there no good PoliSci programs in Oklahoma? It is such a silly thing to attack. But apparently is going to be par for the course for his campaign.

Source: In Oklahoma, Dr. Edward Shadid announces historic bid for State House, Seeks Green Party endorsement | Green Party Watch
    Reading that post, I read the comments and something was said that made me curious. Someone said he had changed the spelling of his name. What's that about? I Googled and found it to be true. https://www.google.com/search?q="Edward+shadeed"+doctor+Oklahoma+City

Shades of Senator Gary Hart. Some say Hart would have been the Democratic nominee for president in 1984 had all the noise about his changing his name from "Hartpence" to "Hart" not killed his momentum in the polls. It's just.....odd.

I don't want this to be seen in the same way as Shadid's negativity, but it's strange. In the middle of your medical career, you change your name? It was before he ran for State Representative. Here's the Change of Name court filing http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...19&db=Oklahoma

Ed got a Political Science degree in Chicago. Are there no good PoliSci programs in Oklahoma? It is such a silly thing to attack. But apparently is going to be par for the course for his campaign.

Source: In Oklahoma, Dr. Edward Shadid announces historic bid for State House, Seeks Green Party endorsement | Green Party Watch
    Off topic, but my son got a political science degree from OU and I was very impressed with the quality of education he received. I have a minor in political science from the University of Denver (Condoleeza Rice and I were classmates, but she got the major and I the minor) and I am quite sure that he received the superior education, based on discussions with him and my reading of his papers. Perhaps that is President Boren's influence.

Bottom line - "Let he that has no sin cast the first stone." Be careful what you criticize unless your own nose is clean.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    It's ridiculous to criticize an elected official for seeking a higher degree. I for one am thrilled the mayor advanced his education at a prestigious university. I'm even more thrilled that, as our mayor, he got to learn more about our nation's greatest city! This is awesome that our mayor now has that perspective!
    Yeah, no kidding. What kind of attack is that supposed to be anyway?

"Did you know our mayor got an MBA from one of the most prestigious programs in the entire world?!" GASP!

THAT is supposed to make us vote against him???

The NewsOK comments are pretty pro-Shadid. Shadid seems to be playing on the idea that the suburbs have suffered for the sake of downtown under Cornett. A lot of people seem to be falling for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The NewsOK comments are pretty pro-Shadid. Shadid seems to be playing on the idea that the suburbs have suffered for the sake of downtown under Cornett. A lot of people seem to be falling for that.
    Most of the people who comment there are not the brightest bulbs and are typically reactionary.

8. Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Yea...I wouldn't take the temperature of a city based on newsok comments...

If the comments posted on newsok were an accurate sampling of our city...I'd move.

It's turning into an eppy of "The Big Bang Theory".

That's som good shi+ right thurr

I confess I am disappointed with Shadid's tone coming out of the gate. My hope is that he will find his distinctive voice and brand among Oklahoma City voters without going over to the dark side. We forget that Cornett only won by 58 percent of the vote in 2010 by a less-than-desirable challenger with no political experience. Don't overestimate or underestimate anyone's chances.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    EXACTLY!

I confronted him about this very thing at his campaign HQ last week and it was clear he was playing Mr Politician on the issue-- trying to find a way to say he opposes the streetcar without saying he opposed the streetcar. It was a disappointing interaction.

When I pressed him on the issue, he said his opposition to the streetcar was based on the fact that we don't have a dedicated funding source for it and shouldn't proceed until one is found. I then asked if he opposed beginning work on the Central Park and he said no. I guess the inconsistency was lost on him.
    Some perspective on annual O&M costs for the streetcar. For the Alternatives Analysis an annual budget of $3.2 million was projected for FY2018 for the core Bricktown to Midtown line. The current MAPS 3 one cent tax is raising around $100 million per year. Assuming no revenue at all from fares, advertising, sponsorship or a joint parking and maintenance facility, a dedicated sales tax of 0.032 cents, or approximately 1/30th of a cent could be used to fund the streetcar. That’s quite a bit lower than the dedicated 1/8th of a cent tax that funds the zoo. And we shouldn’t build the streetcar because this funding - that won’t be needed until 2017 - hasn’t been approved in the FY2018 budget yet by Council? Quite simply, a canard.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    I confess I am disappointed with Shadid's tone coming out of the gate. My hope is that he will find his distinctive voice and brand among Oklahoma City voters without going over to the dark side. We forget that Cornett only won by 58 percent of the vote in 2010 by a less-than-desirable challenger with no political experience. Don't overestimate or underestimate anyone's chances.
    With all due respect, Cornett didn't lift a finger in campaigning for that election. If wasn't married to someone working at the chamber then I wouldn't even have known there was an election taking place.

Just like Gary Marrs didn't lift a finger and lost to James Greiner. Let him who stands take heed lest he fall. You're right though, Mick has already spent more money and energy on this campaign than the previous one. What does that say about his opponent?

Gary Marrs campaigned and certainly sent out campaign material to constituents.

What does it say about his opponent? It says that he's not a stalking, creepy loser that Steve Hunt is.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Just like Gary Marrs didn't lift a finger and lost to James Greiner. Let him who stands take heed lest he fall. You're right though, Mick has already spent more money and energy on this campaign than the previous one. What does that say about his opponent?
    How much has Ed spent? He said he was going to spend up to $1.5 million. How does that make him different than the "plutocrats" he rails against? He's trying to buy the election but he is bleeding support at a rapid pace. What does that say about Ed that he thinks he needs to spend up to $1.5 million -- and worse -- brag about it in the news media? Was that all a bluff to scare off worthy opponents?

Shadid's embarrassing, angry rant in the Oklahoman laid bare the monster many people close to him have seen growing, a monster some of us helped to create and would rather see go back in the cage.

Before today, Shadid had an uphill battle. After the bush-league effort he put out today, I'd say this race is over.

Who on God's green earth is running this campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I think he has already started the negativity. The divide and conquer strategy is clear is this first salvo. It will likely only get worse from here.

Below is Ed's comment on the NewsOK.com story about Mayor Cornett's candidacy announcement Oklahoma City Mayor Cornett to seek fourth term, says 'work's not done' | News OK

Ed Shadid commented on NewsOK.com.
    17 minutes ago ·
    Poll-driven chameleon-like marketing by anonymous big money is not going to work this time; not with the Mayor’s 13-year track record. Just as occurred in my city council race, and the more recent Ward 1 city council race, anonymous independent expenditure organizations are spending large amounts of money engaging in at least two major live polls (which would cost in the $50,000-$70,000 range) and other expensive support activity for the Mayor’s campaign. The seemingly coordinated strategy of the Independent Expenditure and the Mayor is easily predictable: take the Mayor’s weaknesses and portray them as strengths. The Mayor’s record on public safety, neighborhood advocacy (especially when pitted against special interests), and street and sidewalk investments is abysmal and yet, those issues dominate his messaging. The Mayor tells the same joke at national meeting after national meeting making fun of those neighborhood advocates who question the allocation of resources in OKC (Mick says some variation of “Many people in the suburbs do not like the emphasis on downtown, but I tell them you may not like it but your children and grandchildren will like it and you know what, they are angry because they know I am right”) and now wants us to know how much he enjoys getting out and meeting neighbors. The Mayor does not speak with the City Council with any regularity much less neighborhoods. Adding police officers? We have the same number of officers today as we had 20 years ago with 200,000 more people. The Mayor’s relationship with the good men and women of our police and fire forces is nothing less than toxic. Want to understand the situation? Walk up to any member of the OKC Police and Fire force, any random member, and ask them their opinion of Mick Cornett, his working relationship with them, his understanding of the police manpower study and the future needs of this city in terms of public safety and who they would prefer as Mayor. Those who are not already aware will understand how preposterous it is for the Mayor to portray himself as a public safety advocate. Spending large amounts on streets? Developer after developer was able to get their streets widened and sidewalks built in areas where virtually no one lives in the range of $200 million while the streets in neighborhood after neighborhood have to wait as long as 20 more years to get their potholes filled. The misallocation of resources in the ’07 Bond promoted by the Mayor makes concerns about MAPS3 projects pale in comparison.
    Notice how Roy Williams tries to turn a perceived weakness of the Mayor into a strength (“The fact that he is interested and wants to stay in that role, I think that bodes well for OKC”). The Mayor is tired. 13 straight years is a long time on the horseshoe. He spent enormous sums of money and almost every other week for two years during his last term getting a MBA in New York City (because OKC apparently does not have adequate MBA programs). Reports of the mayor actively searching for a mayoral replacement because he did not know if he would finish this last term led to uncertainty among some members of the city council. According to sources he had to be repeatedly lobbied by the Chamber to convince him to run. He offers no opinions much less solutions to the most controversial subjects in front of the council; in fact, he generally maintains complete silence. The Mayor was apparently looking for an exit strategy (one does not need an MBA from NYU to be Mayor of OKC although it might be useful for a board seat at Chesapeake), did not find one, was lobbied by those concerned that our campaign is going to be successful and is now running to stay on the horseshoe for years 14-17.
    There are much better ways to lead the city and make decisions. There is much which needs to be done. I look forward to seeing everyone at the Downtown Farmer’s Market on August 15th from 6-8pm as I outline how we can make more inclusive, fiscally responsible decisions which will prepare our city for the 21st century.
    I'm speechless. This is really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I'm speechless. This is really bad.
    Indeed - my jaw literally dropped when I saw it.

It's a long way until March, but we've already seen that you can't trust Ed to do what he says he'll do. Thus, even an about face by him is valueless to some of his previous supporters whom he has alienated.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I think he has already started the negativity. The divide and conquer strategy is clear is this first salvo. It will likely only get worse from here.

Below is Ed's comment on the NewsOK.com story about Mayor Cornett's candidacy announcement Oklahoma City Mayor Cornett to seek fourth term, says 'work's not done' | News OK

Ed Shadid commented on NewsOK.com.
    17 minutes ago ·
    Poll-driven chameleon-like marketing by anonymous big money is not going to work this time; not with the Mayor’s 13-year track record. Just as occurred in my city council race, and the more recent Ward 1 city council race, anonymous independent expenditure organizations are spending large amounts of money engaging in at least two major live polls (which would cost in the $50,000-$70,000 range) and other expensive support activity for the Mayor’s campaign. The seemingly coordinated strategy of the Independent Expenditure and the Mayor is easily predictable: take the Mayor’s weaknesses and portray them as strengths. The Mayor’s record on public safety, neighborhood advocacy (especially when pitted against special interests), and street and sidewalk investments is abysmal and yet, those issues dominate his messaging. The Mayor tells the same joke at national meeting after national meeting making fun of those neighborhood advocates who question the allocation of resources in OKC (Mick says some variation of “Many people in the suburbs do not like the emphasis on downtown, but I tell them you may not like it but your children and grandchildren will like it and you know what, they are angry because they know I am right”) and now wants us to know how much he enjoys getting out and meeting neighbors. The Mayor does not speak with the City Council with any regularity much less neighborhoods. Adding police officers? We have the same number of officers today as we had 20 years ago with 200,000 more people. The Mayor’s relationship with the good men and women of our police and fire forces is nothing less than toxic. Want to understand the situation? Walk up to any member of the OKC Police and Fire force, any random member, and ask them their opinion of Mick Cornett, his working relationship with them, his understanding of the police manpower study and the future needs of this city in terms of public safety and who they would prefer as Mayor. Those who are not already aware will understand how preposterous it is for the Mayor to portray himself as a public safety advocate. Spending large amounts on streets? Developer after developer was able to get their streets widened and sidewalks built in areas where virtually no one lives in the range of $200 million while the streets in neighborhood after neighborhood have to wait as long as 20 more years to get their potholes filled. The misallocation of resources in the ’07 Bond promoted by the Mayor makes concerns about MAPS3 projects pale in comparison.
    Notice how Roy Williams tries to turn a perceived weakness of the Mayor into a strength (“The fact that he is interested and wants to stay in that role, I think that bodes well for OKC”). The Mayor is tired. 13 straight years is a long time on the horseshoe. He spent enormous sums of money and almost every other week for two years during his last term getting a MBA in New York City (because OKC apparently does not have adequate MBA programs). Reports of the mayor actively searching for a mayoral replacement because he did not know if he would finish this last term led to uncertainty among some members of the city council. According to sources he had to be repeatedly lobbied by the Chamber to convince him to run. He offers no opinions much less solutions to the most controversial subjects in front of the council; in fact, he generally maintains complete silence. The Mayor was apparently looking for an exit strategy (one does not need an MBA from NYU to be Mayor of OKC although it might be useful for a board seat at Chesapeake), did not find one, was lobbied by those concerned that our campaign is going to be successful and is now running to stay on the horseshoe for years 14-17.
    There are much better ways to lead the city and make decisions. There is much which needs to be done. I look forward to seeing everyone at the Downtown Farmer’s Market on August 15th from 6-8pm as I outline how we can make more inclusive, fiscally responsible decisions which will prepare our city for the 21st century.
    So the battle lines are drawn and it looks like a MAPS v. Not this MAPS referendum all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    So the battle lines are drawn and it looks like a MAPS v. Not this MAPS referendum all over again
    It TOTALLY is, and it was settled then the same way it will be here. Part of me is happy this race will happen so the city can reaffirm it's belief in MAPS, and it's belief in "the plan". Now, I'm no pollyanna, this maps package is pretty flawed, but if we don't hold it together the 4th package may never happen. I truly think Ed is passing up a great opportunity as a councilman to try and campaign and guide the 4th package in to one that directly addresses his "core platform". If you want to make yourself useful as Ed, you stay in the council, and start directing your grand standing and campaigning at a MAPS4 package that is strictly for infrastructure improvements on a city wide basis, maybe a "project 180" for the rest of us. The whole beauty of the Maps 1 / Maps for Kids double team is that the grand and highly viseable nature of Maps 1 made the much less noticeable work done on Maps 2 was WAY easier to sell to the public. In the same way we have an opportunity to make Maps 3 a show piece that keeps a level of base support to ensure a successful albeit less glamourous package for round 4. I really think this is a pretty clear sign that this councilman gig was always really a set up for a mayoral run. I'm totally ready for a new mayor, as much as anyone is, but I do not want that guy...

I live in Mustang so I can't vote even though it does effect me. Who ever had the rally with the best hot dogs would get my vote. I'm not hard to please.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    It TOTALLY is, and it was settled then the same way it will be here. Part of me is happy this race will happen so the city can reaffirm it's belief in MAPS, and it's belief in "the plan". Now, I'm no pollyanna, this maps package is pretty flawed, but if we don't hold it together the 4th package may never happen. I truly think Ed is passing up a great opportunity as a councilman to try and campaign and guide the 4th package in to one that directly addresses his "core platform". If you want to make yourself useful as Ed, you stay in the council, and start directing your grand standing and campaigning at a MAPS4 package that is strictly for infrastructure improvements on a city wide basis, maybe a "project 180" for the rest of us. The whole beauty of the Maps 1 / Maps for Kids double team is that the grand and highly viseable nature of Maps 1 made the much less noticeable work done on Maps 2 was WAY easier to sell to the public. In the same way we have an opportunity to make Maps 3 a show piece that keeps a level of base support to ensure a successful albeit less glamourous package for round 4. I really think this is a pretty clear sign that this councilman gig was always really a set up for a mayoral run. I'm totally ready for a new mayor, as much as anyone is, but I do not want that guy...
    Great post, but what would Ed's core plan be? I'm mystified right now. I've heard lots of platitudes and things he's against and complaints about process, but I haven't seen any kind of coherent plan yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    What is ironic about him playing to some of the suburban frustration about the downtown getting all the improvements is he has almost never advocated anything city wide (he comes close on health since he has brought it up a few times but we have not really implemented any new health initiatives in his time), he has pretty much been for core and near core. Understandable given his district and priorities.

Thread Information