Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 154 FirstFirst 1234567853103 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Mayor Race 2014

1. Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

OKC Mayor Cornett to seek fourth term, says 'work's not done'

OKC Mayor Mick Cornett announced Monday he will seek a fourth term, saying ‘work's not done.'
    BY WILLIAM CRUM Staff Writer wcrum@opubco.com • Modified: August 5, 2013 at 10:03 am • Published: August 5, 2013

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett said Monday he would seek re-election to a fourth term.

“Our work's not done yet,” Cornett said in an announcement on Facebook.

In a 2-minute video, Cornett said he was “proud of what we've accomplished” and looked ahead to strengthening neighborhoods, creating more high-quality jobs and improving streets, “where we're investing more than ever before.”

“We can continue to invest in our public safety and we can continue to foster the quality of life that has made us so proud,” he said.

“I love Oklahoma City, and I love its people,” said Cornett.

Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Shadid talks a good talk, but when it comes to action, he does nothing. Seems like we know him more for what he's against than for what he's for.

In a 2-minute video, Cornett said he was “proud of what we've accomplished” and looked ahead to strengthening neighborhoods, creating more high-quality jobs and improving streets, “where we're investing more than ever before.”

When will you start improving streets? The city is way behind in this work as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post

When will you start improving streets? The city is way behind in this work as it is.
    There's nearly a billion going into streets right now.

An $835.5 million bond issue was passed in 2007. It is a ten year bond issue and almost $500 million are dedicated to street resurfacing, widening, or reconstruction. The other $330 million or so is for bridges, traffic control, drainage, parks, fire, police, libraries, city mainenance, transi and economic development. Here is a link to the break down if you care to read it:

The City of Oklahoma City - 2007 City Bond Election

Maybe he wants the city to start resurfacing streets every 6 months.

I can't imagine the mayor that helped bring the NBA to town getting voted out. But, guys we need to get out there and vote for Mick. If it's up to Shadid, we're going to give all of the MAPS money back to citizens and re-vote each item project by project. He'll kill the MAPS brand as we now know it.

8. Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

When was the last time you drove through OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I can't imagine the mayor that helped bring the NBA to town getting voted out. But, guys we need to get out there and vote for Mick. If it's up to Shadid, we're going to give all of the MAPS money back to citizens and re-vote each item project by project. He'll kill the MAPS brand as we now know it.
    I think this is what adadaniel was alluding to. A lot of folks who seemingly support him don't know this. I have a hard time in the end imagining them to vote for him. It will be interesting watching him twist himself into a pretzel trying to explain how he can be for MAPS while he's against MAPS. There are many people, for example, who like Shadid but also are very excited about the streetcar, a project for which Shadid appears to oppose.

He is fixated on "process." And while I think public transparency is important, the "process" of getting legislation passed is never pretty. Nobody likes watching the sausage get made but they love the end product. We can whine forever about process or get the stuff done the voters already voted to fund and move on to the next initiatives.

In the end, people who voted "NOT THIS MAPS" will likely be Shadid-leaning supporters; however, many of those people are quite conservative and may take issue with his seemingly liberal social positions. For people who support MAPS, voting for Cornett is a slam-dunk at this point.

I hope lots of you saved the Shadid flyer from his City Council campaign that I posted here at OKCTalk. He's done a 180 on finishing MAPS. I have always liked Ed, but I'm concerned. Mick's got a lot of flaws frankly for a leader, but since it's basically a ceremonial job, I'll be voting for him again simply for how he presents himself to the rest of the country as a spokesman for our city.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I hope lots of you saved the Shadid flyer from his campaign that I posted here at OKCTalk. He's done a 180 on finishing MAPS. I have always liked Ed, but I'm concerned. Mick's got a lot of flaws frankly for a leader, but since it's basically a ceremonial job, I'll be voting for him again simply for how he presents himself to the rest of the country as a spokesman for our city.
    Can you repost it?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Can you repost it?
    Here's the link to the post. http://www.okctalk.com/transportatio...tml#post668364
    Direct link to the flyer http://i.imgur.com/10wScU6.jpg

So glad to see Mick Cornett running again. I will definitely be voting for him. I may not agree with everything he has done, but he has done a lot for the city and has always been a great promoter.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    All I can think about is the hypocrisy in the million or so that is about to be burned by Shadid that could be spent on better bus stops.
    Perhaps "do as I say and not as I do" is operant here.

"We're supposed to have non-partisan city elections. Cornett has largely stayed true to this. "
    Wasn't Mick the first to violate the gentleman's agreement to leave political affiliation out of city races? Notice he mentoned "faith based community" in his announcement, playing the religion card right off the bat. Shadid may be a contrarian to some, but he's defiantely not a chamber tool.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    When was the last time you drove through OKC?
    Are you talking to me? I drive through the city all the time. Have you ever reported a pothole? Was it repaired? SW to SE 29th is terrible in both directions; May Avenue at NW 63rd for Northbound traffic; May Avenue in front of the Homeland service station for Southbound traffic; and what about the sink hole under I-40 on May Avenue? I could go on and on, but you get my drift.

17. Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Yes, I was directing my question to you. Keep in mind OKC is one of the largest cities in terms of area in the US and for every street you just listed there is another that is currently being repaired/reconstructed. No city has the manpower to attack every downtrodden thoroughfare at the exact same time.

Are you talking to me? I drive through the city all the time. Have you ever reported a pothole? Was it repaired? SW to SE 29th is terrible in both directions; May Avenue at NW 63rd for Northbound traffic; May Avenue in front of the Homeland service station for Southbound traffic; and what about the sink hole under I-40 on May Avenue? I could go on and on, but you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    "We're supposed to have non-partisan city elections. Cornett has largely stayed true to this. "
    Wasn't Mick the first to violate the gentleman's agreement to leave political affiliation out of city races? Notice he mentoned "faith based community" in his announcement, playing the religion card right off the bat. Shadid may be a contrarian to some, but he's defiantely not a chamber tool.
    It doesn't matter if you're a tool of an institution or of your personal ideology. Inflexibility and unwillingness to compromise or respect another person's point of view is a disastrous set of attributes for a mayor. I would also rather have a mayor with whom I disagree than one who may agree with me today and change his mind tomorrow.

19. Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    What is wrong with being someone that works with the Chamber. The Chamber ran all the maps campaigns didn't they. with out the the Chamber we have none of this. I would support Mayor cornett on that alone.

Well what is Shadid a "tool" of? As a voter and a person who supported his candidacy, I don't feel like he has kept his word to us on his support of MAPS initiatives. Also, he seems to be trying to shuttle the only citizen-supported transit initiative. I'm not sure what the guy is for at this point besides "public deliberation." Great, let's deliberate, then make a decision and move forward. We shouldn't have to have a "revote" on things we've already voted for. It's patronizing.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    What is wrong with being someone that works with the Chamber. The Chamber ran all the maps campaigns didn't they. with out the the Chamber we have none of this. I would support Mayor cornett on that alone.
    This is what we'll get if Shadid is elected: people carving up the city into different camps. I don't always agree with the Chamber. Heck, I'm a progressive Democrat, and their anti-union stuff gets very tiring. But I also recognize that the business community is an extremely valuable and important asset in moving this city forward. Our chamber is far more visionary than many others; they have bought in completely that we need to invest in our city's quality of life; they supported the "Creative Class" discussions; they support inclusive opportunity for GLBT citizens. They support many progressive things.

If we start carving up people into subgroups we will not sustain the positive momentum that has brought our city this far.

Forgive my ignorance: If Cornett wins, can Ed Shadid retain his seat on the City Council or does he have to vacate it to run for Mayor? I know that is the rule for someone is the Oklahoma house running for Congress.

Yes, he can simultaneously run for mayor and retain his seat. His seat isn't up for reelection until 2015.

I like the idea of Shadid on the council more than as the mayor, to this point his best molments have been acting as a check against everyone happily agreeing with something we could do better but I do not see that having much more weight from the mayor's chair and he seems like he would be a downgrade on interaction with the media (even more so on non-local). In any case with Cornert running again, it is likely all the new candidates have an uphill battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    All I can think about is the hypocrisy in the million or so that is about to be burned by Shadid that could be spent on better bus stops.
    This comment troubles me. Are you not in favor of better bus stops? Has he not already spent enough of his personal money to bring in national urban planning experts to elevate the discussion?

Thread Information