Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bicentennial Park

Default Re: Bicentennial Park

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That's certainly possible,plupan, but maybe you were thinking about this.

Forgotten history: OKC park's markers soon could return home
    Thanks. I was about to lose my mind and check into a psych ward.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Thanks. I was about to lose my mind and check into a psych ward.
    Let me know if you need any references when you apply.

Here's a look at the plans for the Festival of the Arts, running 4/19-24.

4. Default Re: Bicentennial Park

honestly, it appears as if the Arts Festival is working out better at Bicentennial Park than it did at MGB. Seems to be a more natural fit AND it certainly gives live and purpose to the Oklahoma City Civic Center - which is the entire three block area of and adjacent to the park.

At MGB, the festival seemed very hodge podge like you had MGB then you had some tents and food carts in hudson. ... Not very creative and if not for MGB, it wouldn't have been good at all.

Civic Center just seems so natural for this; plenty of space, very much OKC's front lawn event.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Prep work well underway:

And we are underway!

Thanks to frittergirl for the great photo:

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And we are underway!

Thanks to frittergirl for the great photo:

That looks awesome! I think this venue shift is going to work out wonderfully for the Arts Festival.

It's just sad that the Myriad Gardens isn't being utilized, especially after all the upgrades.

Walking over in a bit for a big ol' Indian taco.

Spent a couple hours there tonight and it was *dead*. Don't know if it was due to threat of rain but sure hope things pick up. Eerily quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    That looks awesome! I think this venue shift is going to work out wonderfully for the Arts Festival.
    Someone I know is under the impression that the OKC Arts Festival was originally held at this location and then moved to where I knew it had always been during the mid 1980s and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Spent a couple hours there tonight and it was *dead*. Don't know if it was due to threat of rain but sure hope things pick up. Eerily quiet.
    We worked one of the smaller drink tents from 5:30-9:00 last night and there was hardly anyone coming through. It's a much different feel (can't tell which one I like better), but I think the storm played a big part. We normally work in the tent on Saturday which is always slammed so I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was definitely much slower than expected.

It was definitely the threat of rain. This weekend the weather looks spectacular, expect big crowds for Friday and Saturday.

HangryHippo Guest

I hope the food waiting/ordering is much less chaotic with the new setup. It had gotten pretty irritating the last couple of years.

I haven't made it down yet.. I may tonight or tomorrow evening, but visually it looks like a great fit! seems like a great use of space and allows for more movement around the park to see the vendors.

15. Default Re: Bicentennial Park

Went today and it was bustling. I was prepared to not like the new location for sentimental reasons, but it's actually pretty great. Also, it is correct that this was the original location before the move to the MBG/Stage Center site.

^^Thanks for the confirmation, Urbanized! Can't imagine it anywhere else.

Went last night and I absolutely love the new location. It feels more incorporated into a park instead of on a huge piece of concrete next to a park. the civic center is a great divider for two separate stages so they don't overpower each other and the tents in single rows down each side is easier to maneuver without being distracted by the next row of art. the food court being split on each side of the building made it hard to figure out what you wanted to eat but there was a lot more seating to enjoy your food. That seemed to always be a struggle at the old location to find a comfy spot to eat. parking seemed easier to find as well and with the new parking garage right there I am sure many used it. I know that the pottery and interactive art stuff has always been there but with this set up you seemed to notice it more so that was a bonus as well.

^

I was there last night and it was definitely more lively than Tuesday evening.

However, I don't like the separation of the food areas.

Having the two areas with the Civic Center in between makes each of the stages and general areas feel very dead. I was by the north stage last night from 7:30 to 9 and there was hardly anyone there on a gorgeous evening with a great band playing.

At the same time, the main part of the park was very busy. It feels too cut-off for my tastes.

Having said all that, it may just be a short-term adjustment as people learn to gravitate towards the two far ends where the stages are located.

I do think they have the stages pushed too far west on each side.. push them further east and I think that would help.
    I agree the separation of food is not the best layout because people like to see all the options before choosing. but those are my only complaints really.
    I did think though.. the other location where the food was located you walked just as far to get from one end to the other to compare the wares but having the separation does make it odd. but all in all I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Someone I know is under the impression that the OKC Arts Festival was originally held at this location and then moved to where I knew it had always been during the mid 1980s and on.
    Yes, at one time in the '70s at least, if not before, it was in front of and around the civic center. It was large and eclectic, more accommodating to whoever wanted to show their art, with displays and booths set up how the artists wanted to display. The furnished tents and more organized layout came later, and I think entry became more difficult, in the '80s when it was moved.

21. Default Re: Bicentennial Park

Although I wish the two food lanes didn't have to be separated by a block, I'm good with them feeling somewhat isolated and dead in comparison to the old location. For years the FoA has at times seemed like a festival of the food with a nice art component on the edge of it.

Also, the food court in a semi-circle was convenient to cruise while deciding, but lingering eaters and socializers made it too crowded, cramped and difficult. The new setup seems to discourage lingering around the booths themselves, and instead encourages quick choices and then a move to the AMPLE seating that now exists. In the past it was very difficult to find a place to sit and enjoy you're food; now such seating is abundant. Tons of tables, chairs, street furniture and even the many steps surrounding the Civic Center.

But I think the real bonus is that now it truly feels like art is at the forefront, which hopefully will be good for sales, without negatively impacting food sales, which is important from a revenue standpoint.

I also agree about the stages being far enough away from one another that they do not interfere with each other. I do agree that the two stages on the sides of the Civic Center are pretty remote, and that is probably the worst liability of the layout. But the stage in front of City Hall is absolutely killer.

dup

I went Tuesday evening and again for lunch today. As others said it was dead Tuesday evening. However, there were a ton of people there at lunch today. I do like the art set up in the park better than on the street by the Myriad Gardens. But, I am not a big fan of the food configuration. It was ok when there weren't many people there but I am afraid it will be too cramped for large crowds. When I walked back to my office I went east through the new park in front of city hall which mirrors the Civic Center park style-wise. I wonder if there is a way to incorporate that park into the festival in the future? Walker is already closed so that should not be a problem. Maybe it is a security issue?

24. Default Re: Bicentennial Park

^^^^^^^^
    I thought the same thing when I had a meeting yesterday at City Hall. I walked into the building on the FoA side, but walked out on the east side and it immediately occurred to me that it could make eventual sense to expand part of FoA around the building. Some might say that is too detached, but it's not like there isn't precedent for FoA to sprawl a bit. For years the children's portion was on the east side of MBG and FoA events/installations were all over the gardens themselves. That's much more far flung than this would be. Plus, you could then perhaps better engage with the OKCMOA. It is an ART museum, after all...

Went again on Saturday night and there was a very big crowd, of course.

Of the four times I went, the only music was on the two stages at the far end of each food row. I like the way the art booths are in the middle part of the park, but the muisc being so far removed made the whole environment feel a bit dull. And in all instances there weren't that many people down at the end listening to the music.

One of the best things is they had lots of tables and chairs out in front of the Civic Center then in the roped-off bar area. Really made it nice to sit down and relax and people watch. But again, very far from any music.

I really like the new setup, just would like to see them bring more music out into the park itself.

Thread Information