Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AT&T to make major announcement regarding OKC & jobs

Default AT&T to make major announcement regarding OKC & jobs

Just heard from a very reliable source that AT&T will be making an announcement most likely this week about one of their operations to be be headquartered in Oklahoma City.

There will be at least 100 jobs to start with more to follow.

Unclear whether these will all be new positions or if some may be relocated.

Since they will only be starting with about 100 jobs, very unlikely this has anything to do with the Mystery Towers rumors.

But coupled with the recent Boeing and GE developments, OKC is starting to string together some significant new employers that are tied to massive, multi-national entities.

Should be hearing more about this very soon.

Default Re: AT&T to make major announcement regarding OKC & jobs

Would be good to see a downtown presence.

If we could just get Randall to show some pride in his hometown and spend the $150k to remove the ugly equipment tower from the top of his company's downtown building.

HangryHippo Guest

I wonder if these jobs are more call center types...

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I wonder if these jobs are more call center types...
    If it's a major announcement about one of the HQ being located here, I doubt it is call center related.

Steve actually said 'cell tower' during his chat on a question about the MT. Either last Friday or the one before, but it sounded in jest.

My first thought was AT&T when he said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Steve actually said 'cell tower' during his chat on a question about the MT. Either last Friday or the one before, but it sounded in jest.

My first thought was AT&T when he said it.
    I recall that as well... Pete says he doesn't think its MT related though.

I'm not sure if it's related to a Mystery Tower but I do know this...

My source told me the Stage Center site was going to a local company and not bringing new jobs -- just a consolidation.

But I was also told there is a second tower in the works that WOULD bring new jobs to the area. I was assuming that was Enogex/Centerpointe but not for sure.

This just doesn't seem to be enough jobs (100) to warrant an office tower.

HangryHippo Guest

Pete, any feeling for what these jobs might be?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

My source told me the Stage Center site was going to a local company and not bringing new jobs -- just a consolidation.

But I was also told there is a second tower in the works that WOULD bring new jobs to the area. I was assuming that was Enogex/Centerpointe but not for sure.

I think AT&T has the downtown office tower over by SandRidge and also a 3 story complex up on Quail Springs Parkway. Not sure if there would be anything else to consolidate...just don't know much else about their corporate presence.

Excellent news!

They do have some other employees in this area that could make a tower sensible for them...just probably not a 700 ft tower.

The announcement will be on Thursday.

AT&T set to unveil plans | News OK

AT&T occupies at least two 3-story buildings in the Memorial Road office complexes. It's property that they inherited when they bought out Dobson Communications back in either 2006 or 2007. My understanding is that they have some excess space to fill in those properties. So whatever they have planned, it may not result in any new buildings.

They bought Dobson to beef up their rural area cellphone business, so I wonder if that might be what will be headquartered here. I hope that it is more significant than that, but it wouldn't shock me if that is what is announced.

I don't know what it is, but if the governor, the mayor, and the head of the chamber of commerce are going to be there, then it must be SOMETHING.

The article says "significant employment growth". That doesn't sound like a building to me.

It may have changed but they used to be pretty regionalized, with either many or most of the states having there own subsidiary for operations. I am not sure of how many are line workers, work at the various substations or at retail stores but apparently AT&T still has around 4,100 employees in Oklahoma. Granted years ago, when they were the old AT&T they probably had that or more just at what was a manufacturing plant by the outlet mall.

As previously stated, I heard this involves around 100 new jobs with more down the road.

Didn't hear anything about a consolidation and although it's possible, I don't think that is part of this.

Just today, AT&T announced two new innovation centers for Atlanta and Dallas but didn't mention OKC.

Obviously, they are doing considerable restructuring and expansion.

20. Default Re: AT&T to make major announcement regarding OKC & jobs

Both the Governor and Mayor are going to be at the announcement. They don't usually both show up over something small.

AT&T set to unveil plans

AT&T is set to make an announcement regarding “significant employment growth” at a news conference Thursday.

By Steve Lackmeyer Published: June 25, 2013

AT&T set tounveil plans

AT&T is set to make an announcement regarding “significant employment growth” at a news conference Thursday.

The announcement will be made 10 a.m. at the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber by Bryan Gonterman, president of AT&T Oklahoma, who will be accompanied by Gov. Mary Fallin, Mayor Mick Cornett and chamber President Roy Williams.

AT&T's chief executive officer, Randall Stephenson, is a University of Central Oklahoma graduate who began his career with Southwestern Bell Telephone in 1982 in Oklahoma City.

Under Stephenson's leadership, AT&T expanded its nationwide U.S. wireless business and enhanced its advanced enterprise capabilities, serving millions of business customers including multinational companies on six continents.

AT&T is the world's largest telecommunications company with more than $127 billion in 2012 revenues. Over the past five years, AT&T has invested more capital into the economy than any other public company.

My neighbor is in AT&T management at the office in the Quail Springs business park. I'll walk over there tonight and see if he's willing to say anything......I'll ask if his job is moving downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    My neighbor is in AT&T management at the office in the Quail Springs business park. I'll walk over there tonight and see if he's willing to say anything......I'll ask if his job is moving downtown.
    Just talked to his college aged son, and he said his dad isn't talking, but interestingly, he said his dads office is so full from recent hiring that he now works 4 days a week from home, but reserves an office on the days he reports in house.

My bet is that this announcement will be similar to the GE announcement. Regardless, new jobs to the state and especially our city are important no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

AT&T already has around 1,900 employees in OKC area, so another 100 would be enough people to warrant a tower...... Who knows GE and AT&T could pair up to create a massive tower?

Steve did say (jokingly) that the Mystery Tower would be a cell tower...

Thread Information