Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

$29 million Children's museum to open at The Gathering Place in 2020:
    Children's Museum Gets Kaiser Grant | Public Radio Tulsa

Blog Entries

There's something else we could have done with the film exchange.... sigh...

It's really hard to gauge progress here, the cams are usually out of date to the tune of anywhere by a few days to a couple weeks from what I've seen.

Of course, they've supposedly been working on the land bridges first and want to get those completed and then complete the rest of phase I (should be done by late 2017) behind the bridges. Phase II isn't as complex, and I think should only take an additional year completing some time in 2018, but that's tentative.

Here's a pic I could get that at least shows the proximity to downtown for perspective:

Capture.jpg

Of course the picture comes out small even when you click on it... Anyway, as it's been posted, you can always keep up here: A Gathering Place For Tulsa - Tulsa, OKA Gathering Place For Tulsa | Tulsa, OK

Blog Entries

Drone video of the progress in the park

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/gathe...6f.html?x=9786

Blog Entries

A video and interview about progress at the park from The Frontier, warning, it's over 10 minutes long.
    https://www.readfrontier.org/multime...g-place-tulsa/

I was looking at Google Maps the other day and I'm surprised that they could not incorporate the old with the new...ya know, that they had to rip out the old railroad bridge over Riverside Drive. That area will never have the same feel.

^Isn't the old railroad bridge staying put? Obviously they have to rebuild the park end, but it was included in all the concept art. Looks like it is still there in the construction cams.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    ^Isn't the old railroad bridge staying put? Obviously they have to rebuild the park end, but it was included in all the concept art. Looks like it is still there in the construction cams.
    The bridge that was removed was over Riverside. The bridge over the river is still there. Part of the overall plan for the bridge is to replace that section over the road and deck the top of the bridge over the river. That way bikes would use that and walkers/joggers can use the area below. This $7 million project, funded through the Vision 2025 renewal, also includes upgraded lighting and approach ramps on both sides. I don't know the timeline but assume they would want that done by the time they open the park late next year.

Blog Entries

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I am so looking forward to this! What an incredible park for Tulsa!

I love the way they are capping part of the roadway to bridge the river areas to the main park.

Can't wait to see the final product.

I can't wait to be completely deflated by the pasture Hargreaves designed for us here in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    I can't wait to be completely deflated by the pasture Hargreaves designed for us here in OKC.
    Yeah, I give Tulsa much more in the way of props. Tunnels are cool.

Phase I completion is still on track from what I can gather for later this year. Immediately after, phase II begins and completes in 2018.

Then, Tulsa has a world class interactive park that will be a tremendous benefit to the entire area.

Top that with the River Spirit expansion 4 miles South and Riverside will become a full fledged destination. Mayor Bynum has also made it a priority to get studies going for the river. I think he wants the river to be his legacy. We'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Phase I completion is still on track from what I can gather for later this year. Immediately after, phase II begins and completes in 2018.

Then, Tulsa has a world class interactive park that will be a tremendous benefit to the entire area.

Top that with the River Spirit expansion 4 miles South and Riverside will become a full fledged destination. Mayor Bynum has also made it a priority to get studies going for the river. I think he wants the river to be his legacy. We'll see how that goes.
    The second round of ancillary projects will be kicking off as the park nears completion followed by Phase 2 at the southern end of the park:
    - Major improvements to Zink Dam by the park includes raising the water level and making the dam safer (part of Vision 2025 renewal)
    - $7 million renovation of the adjacent Pedestrian Bridge across the river into a double decker bridge for joggers/walkers on the bottom and bikes on top (part of Vision 2025 renewal)
    - Whitewater flume underneath the Ped Bridge on the east side (part of the Vision 2025 renewal)

Phase 2
    - $30 million Tulsa Children's Museum at the south end of the park, already in the design phase (partly funded by GKFF, Vision 2025 and local donors)
    - Crow Creek Hike/Bike Trail from the park to Brookside (in the planning/fundraising stage)
    -Mixed-use residential along Crow Creek (former Crow Creek apartments)

Thanks for the details, I had forgotten what exactly phase II entailed.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Thanks for the details, I had forgotten what exactly phase II entailed.
    I rent a home off of 33rd and have the last few crow creek apartment units behind my fence. They are almost completely vacant now, so hopefully they start on the mixed use housing soon.

Speaking of, were there ever any more specific details released on what type of housing would go in?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    Speaking of, were there ever any more specific details released on what type of housing would go in?
    Nothing has been publicly released but I know it's in the planning stages with Construction not starting until after Phase 1 is complete. From a Tulsa World article:
    Phase 1 is expected to be completed in late 2017. Phases 2 and 3 call for an extension of the park, a children’s museum, and mixed-use, mixed-income housing.

Blog Entries

Cool, thanks Swake.

And that's just the northern end for those who don't know. There's another portion South (top of the pic) that I think will *mostly* be included in phase two.

Tulsa voters approved funding for rehabbing the current pedestrian bridge that connects the park to the west bank trails, which is a converted railroad bridge, but that was going to be too expensive and a replacement bridge could be built for the same cost. Here are some of the preliminary proposals:

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...rkansas-river/

HangryHippo Guest

That first one is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That first one is awesome.
    +1

Definitely the first one.

I am legit jealous that Tulsa is getting this park.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I am legit jealous that Tulsa is getting this park.
    Me too. It's going to be amazing!

Thread Information