Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
Results 226 to 244 of 244
  1. #226

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    no concealed or open carry. . . https://www.gatheringplace.org/planyourday
    A. the tulsa police were not enforcing this already
    https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...22b1e97af.html

    and B. concealed carry is now specificly allowed and open carry banned starting NOV 1st

    https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/stat...e49af345d.html

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,548
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    weird to allow dogs on one day but not the others

  3. #228

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    weird to allow dogs on one day but not the others
    I wondered if they would change that as things normalize at the park. It absolutely was the right call for the first several months, the crowds were huge and didn't need to add dogs to that mix.

    I know my kids would hate it, they are scared of dogs...

  4. #229

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    The section that dogs are not allowed has tons of activities - there is not much to do with your dog there anyways. It’s not an open green space for folks to sit with their pets. It’s tons of slides, jungle Gyms, sports courts, etc.

  5. #230

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I wondered if they would change that as things normalize at the park. It absolutely was the right call for the first several months, the crowds were huge and didn't need to add dogs to that mix.

    I know my kids would hate it, they are scared of dogs...
    Yeah, I didn't realize how many kids are scared of dogs until my daughter started hanging out with daycare friends. Tons of them are scared of dogs.

    Although most dogs are fine, with the numbers of people out there there would be incidences and I am completely fine with them banning dogs because of that.

  6. #231

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Water getting close to the trails by the Gathering Place but staying out of it, at least for now. Nearly to the bottom of the old pedestrian bridge that will be torn down over the next year.



  7. #232

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    I have NEVER seen the Arkansas river at this location this high. Simply incredible. Praying that here and other areas of the State will be spared additional significant rainfall so that the receeding can commence.

  8. #233

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I have NEVER seen the Arkansas river at this location this high. Simply incredible. Praying that here and other areas of the State will be spared additional significant rainfall so that the receeding can commence.
    flooding level releases from keystone lake started yesterday and go until sunday ..

  9. Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Parts of the Gathering Place are now underwater.
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

  10. #235

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Let's hope & pray for the best possible outcome as many areas in Oklahoma and the mid-west region are affected by record storms & rainfall we haven't seen in the region since the 80s.

  11. #236

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    keystone is now at record height and the inflow still excedes the exflow

    release is now at 285000 CFS

    which is flood level .. and if the catchment area gets any more rain they may have to go to 300000 cfs release which will match the 1986 tulsa flood level

  12. #237

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    keystone is now at record height and the inflow still excedes the exflow

    release is now at 285000 CFS

    which is flood level .. and if the catchment area gets any more rain they may have to go to 300000 cfs release which will match the 1986 tulsa flood level
    Flood level through Tulsa is 105000 CFS. They are very far beyond flood levels. I can't believe how little coverage these floods have gotten in OKC. Ft Smith has closed basically every bridge into town. The flow through Muskogee hit over 650,000, about 3x Niagria Falls levels, or enough to completely fill Keystone lake every 8 hours.

  13. #238

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Flood level through Tulsa is 105000 CFS. They are very far beyond flood levels. I can't believe how little coverage these floods have gotten in OKC. Ft Smith has closed basically every bridge into town. The flow through Muskogee hit over 650,000, about 3x Niagria Falls levels, or enough to completely fill Keystone lake every 8 hours.
    Tulsa has largely been spared the brunt of the severe flooding up to this point, the notable exception being the River Spirit casino. The RiverParks were designed as a flood barrier and have worked in that capacity separating neighborhoods from the river, though the water has covered Riverside Dr in a few locations. Gathering Place has closed due to the danger being so close to swift-moving high water but the main portion of the park itself is not affected and was actually designed with sluice gates to redirect floodwaters away from the pond.

    The biggest threats in the city are areas behind levees on the north and west sides of the river, and newer neighborhoods built in the flood plain around 121st & Delaware. Also anywhere a creek enters the river can back up, as well as storm sewers in areas close to the rising water.

    There are plenty of other areas like Sand Springs and Muskogee that haven't been as lucky and will take awhile to rebuild once the water recedes.

  14. #239

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Some of the now underwater sports courts and nature trail area along the river


    Other sports courts are dry


    The rugby field near 38th & Riverside


    The rest of the park is mostly unaffected


    Further north by Blue Rose Cafe and the new Cosmopolitan apartments


    Overview

  15. #240

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    oh man... i hadn't really seen pictures of it yet. dang... that's going to take a lot of time and money to clean up

  16. Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    If there was any park in the country that could rebound quickly from damage like this, it's the well-funded Gathering Place. Once the river recedes, they will have it looking like new in no time.
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

  17. Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    On the bright side, everything is so GREEN!
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

  18. #243

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    oh man... i hadn't really seen pictures of it yet. dang... that's going to take a lot of time and money to clean up
    It’s really not that bad, mostly just areas along the water that were designed to be a flood barrier. The primary damage in RiverParks is to the trail itself which has collapsed in some parts and playground areas that are underwater. The clean up will be more extensive at River Spirit and flooded low-lying neighborhoods in Sand Springs and Bixby. Hopefully they don’t release any more water and the levees hold up.

  19. #244

    Default Re: Gathering Place for Tulsa will be world-class park

    Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    It’s really not that bad, mostly just areas along the water that were designed to be a flood barrier. The primary damage in RiverParks is to the trail itself which has collapsed in some parts and playground areas that are underwater. The clean up will be more extensive at River Spirit and flooded low-lying neighborhoods in Sand Springs and Bixby. Hopefully they don’t release any more water and the levees hold up.
    Yeah, it sucks that all the new trails have been damaged. Looks like there has been a lot of bank erosion too that will need to be repaired.

    Muskogee and on down stream is where the extensive damage is.

    Luckily they were able to slightly pull back flows a couple of hours ago.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. $150 million Gathering Place at River Parks
    By Swake2 in forum Tulsa & Suburbs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 09:24 AM
  2. Tulsa makes 2008 GaWC 'World Class Cities' List
    By Platemaker in forum Tulsa & Suburbs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 07:43 AM
  3. The world would be a better place if..........
    By OklaCity_75 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 06:45 AM
  4. OKC-Not world class
    By Karried in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 07:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO