Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Can't You Buy A Car on Sunday?

Default Why Can't You Buy A Car on Sunday?

Why should it be against the law to buy a car at a car dealership on Sunday in Oklahoma? I have never heard an answer to this question that made any sense. What is it about cars, but not something like furniture, that stands out so supremely that past lawmakers thought there had to be a law made against buying them on Sunday? Would God be too offended, or what?

Default Re: Why Can't You Buy A Car on Sunday?

originally, it was a product of blue laws. now? dealerships don't want to have to be open another day of the week... if it wasn't against the law, at least one dealer would decide to be open on sunday and so all dealers would have to be open on sunday to compete. -M

I always heard blue laws...

I know the Harley Dealers are open on Sunday but for parts and accessories only. They can't even tell you the price of a bike on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    I know the Harley Dealers are open on Sunday but for parts and accessories only. They can't even tell you the price of a bike on Sundays.
    Proof once again the law can be a real pile of dung at times.

While blue laws all ways get the blame - I think it is because the finance companies (which at one time was the local bank) were not open on Sundays. There wasn't much point in being open if you can't sell anything. Now it is that car dealers want the day off. For the most part, cars are not an impulse buy so sales aren't hurt by being closed one day a week.

7. Default Re: Why Can't You Buy A Car on Sunday?

...They can't even tell you the price of a bike on Sundays.
    Why not? Car dealers often run ads promoting "Come Sunday when no salesmen are around and see our lowest prices printed clearly on the windshield and then come back Monday morning to finish the deal."

Is this still a law?

If not, you'd think some enterprising dealership would take the initiative to be open when all their competitors are closed.

If it is still a law, it's needs to be changed.

9. Default Re: Why Can't You Buy A Car on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Why not? Car dealers often run ads promoting "Come Sunday when no salesmen are around and see our lowest prices printed clearly on the windshield and then come back Monday morning to finish the deal."
    Every time I go in the local Harley dealers they have price tags hanging from the handlebars. They may not be able to negotiate a deal on Sunday but the asking price is known.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Every time I go in the local Harley dealers they have price tags hanging from the handlebars. They may not be able to negotiate a deal on Sunday but the asking price is known.
    They don't have them at Fort Thunder, at least none that I've seen.

11. Default Re: Why Can't You Buy A Car on Sunday?

They don't have them at Fort Thunder, at least none that I've seen.
    I haven't been to Fort Thunder in a year or so but I'm sure I've seen tags there at one time. I've been to HD World and Foreman in Stillwater recently and both of them had tags.

I always thought that no Sunday sales of cars was caused by the fact that the brand new Hudiburg's in Midwest City was open on Sunday and the Oklahoma City dealers were not. The OKC dealers had enough political power to get the law passed.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    I always heard blue laws...
    Oklahoma blue laws state that people are to observe a day of Sabbath, unless one is a grave digger or seller of food. I guess those laws weren't clear and strong enough to include cars, so a special blue law had to be made that specified cars. It's interesting that such laws have apparently been regarded as constitutional.

It's probably true that car dealers would fight any legislative effort that lets them open on Sunday. Maybe it was the car dealers that proposed requiring Sundays off. Whatever happened, it seems to be a forgotten day in Oklahoma governing history.

I agree this is a law that should be changed.. Just like smoking in restaurants & bars.. and 3.2 beer.. But let's not go there!

It's always been said that car dealers oppose revocation of the prohibition, but if I was an aggressive dealer I'd welcome the opportunity for another day of sales. Then again, I'd also want to sell cars online, to offer transparent pricing, to allow online service scheduling, to have an on-site tag agency, etc.

JTF: what about Saturdays? Don't think banks were open on Sat back when these laws were written. Even now, it is limited Sat service, often relegated to just the drive-thru. So, if your bank wasn't open to complete the financing, why is the car lot open?

That's exactly what I like to do when looking for a car. I don't want to be hassled by sales people and don't want to have to go looking after midnight to accomplish that.

18. Default Re: Why Can't You Buy A Car on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That's exactly what I like to do when looking for a car. I don't want to be hassled by sales people and don't want to have to go looking after midnight to accomplish that.
    That's one reason my last several cars have all been bought from Craigslist. Keep it simple.

It is illegal to sell cars in Las Vegas on Sundays also. This is not just an Oklahoma thing.

Bigray in Ok

That's one reason my last several cars have all been bought from Craigslist. Keep it simple.
    True, but I like to see it in person before dealing with a seller. I sold my last car on Craigslist though so I'm certainly an advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    It is illegal to sell cars in Las Vegas on Sundays also. This is not just an Oklahoma thing.

Bigray in Ok
    Not sure if this is still the case but in Tennessee stores like KMART couldn't open up until noon on Sundays.

I'd sooner businesses close on Sunday due to a personal business decison, not because government expects them to. Chick-fil-a isn't afraid to close on Sunday and lose customers to KFC and other fast foods. But then people need to eat every day, but not buy a car every day.

I don't like the government telling business when they can be open.

I would think because most financial institutions/loan companies are closed on Sundays, and the dealership would not be able to process loan requests, since most car dealerships don't finance in-house.

25. Default Re: Why Can't You Buy A Car on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I would think because most financial institutions/loan companies are closed on Sundays, and the dealership would not be able to process loan requests, since most car dealerships don't finance in-house.
    Ah, but those same institutions are closed by 7pm too and I can still buy my car up until the dealer closes. Also, many times the financing isn't even locked in (from the sellers perspective) until days after you've left the lot with the car.

Point your finger at the majority of the dealerships. You don't see any vocal advocating by local dealers to repel the law because it doesn't make sense to them to do so. Being open 7-days a week costs a dealer more money and doesn't equal more sales. Why? Because, car shopping is not so impulsive that if you're denied a Sunday purchase you'll decide not to buy at all. They can sell just as many cars 6 days a week as they would 7 and that one less day is one less day of overhead (which goes way beyond utility costs).

Thread Information