Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: State Capitol Building

Default Re: State Capitol Building

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Cast stone is essentially concrete. Concrete can always be guaranteed to do 2 things: get hard & crack. Unless these are major structural cracks (i.e. one section is displaced from another) there is not much reason to be concerned from a safety standpoint. It's likely simply a cosmetic thing. And unless you are crawling around on the roof, you will probably never even notice the cracks.
    People don't realize that concrete is in an ever-hardening state. It never stops curing, while most of the curing takes place days and weeks after it's poured, it still cures indefinitely. It will eventually get so hard it starts to crack and then starts very slowly returning back to it's natural state.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    Hmmm I think I need to get in the dome repair business. I'll fix it for the the state and come back six years later and say "We need to fix your crack habit."
    There's a headline for ya - Legislature turns to Cocaine as they decide to just say no to crack

Default Re: Oklahoma State Capitol Building Renovations

Funny how we budgeted a repair price for the building when we didn't even inspect it thoroughly to get an idea of how much it might cost. I hope it doesn't go over budget.

Crews Face Several Challenges As They Repair OK Capitol - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

We have the state government which the majority (of the minority who bother to vote) seem to prefer.
    Oh, aren't we the lucky ones.

5. Default Re: State Capitol Building

amen

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Funny how we budgeted a repair price for the building when we didn't even inspect it thoroughly to get an idea of how much it might cost. I hope it doesn't go over budget.

Crews Face Several Challenges As They Repair OK Capitol - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
    I just said that so I don't sound too negative.: p

Man, once again OK has done the "We're just gonna do it ourselves, however we figure it out all by ourselves, screw all the other cities/states/countries that have figured out how to have one group manage everything in one building over the decades/centuries". Glad they're going to try to fix it, though.

The price tag to repair the state Capitol just doubled | News OK

That title seems to be misleading though if I understand it correctly.

There is a new proposal or a phase two. This would be pretty cool. Some nice renderings on that page too. I would also like to see 23rd ST. capped and a park with a two lane street for development built over it.

I would love for the archway to be built! I believe it's in the original drawings with the capitol.

I would as well! Here is a rendering of the proposed front entrance

You can read some info here: http://okcfox.com/news/local/capitol...-new-estimates

Here's a video with some renderings.

The full article from NewsOk.

The vision

The proposal lays out a vision that goes beyond much-needed repairs to the exterior, plumbing and electrical service. It calls for major changes to the building's interior and would alter the way the public gains access to the state's signature structure.

A three-story parking garage would be built east of the Capitol, and a new tunnel under N Lincoln Boulevard would connect it to the building through a ground-floor area that would serve as the public's main entry point.

The rotunda, the circular area of the building under the dome, would be extended to this area through an opening in the first floor and the state seal would be moved to the ground floor.

A rectangular reflecting pond and a park, including a towering three-arch monument, would be built on the south side of the Capitol.

- read more here: Capitol costs: The price tag for projects is about to get a lot bigger | News OK
    Some great renderings in that link.

They should scrap the little archway and build a big one over Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    They should scrap the little archway and build a big one over Lincoln
    Actually, that was the original plan about 100 years ago.

Does the remodel include a front door that will be accessible to the citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Does the remodel include a front door that will be accessible to the citizens?
    Citizen front door access is ground level to the right of the steps, due to the scanner locations currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Actually, that was the original plan about 100 years ago.
    Yes it was. Here are pics of the designs. In the one picture, you can see a model of the arch on display in the rotunda.

The arch was to span Lincoln Boulevard. The original plans called for the arch to be placed between 14th and 15th Streets. It would have been pretty cool. It was to be dedicated to WWI veterans.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	11889

Views:	154 
Size:	821.0 KB 
ID:	11890

Views:	126 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	11891

I love this and think the state should indeed pay to fix our drive-thru Capitol complex... It's really embarrassing. Not a good impression when you fly into OKC.

However I've got an Okie born and bred hunch that this has a snowball's chance in hell. All of my rural Oklahoma friends on fb are up in arms, as are the Tulsa people (generally an oddly conservative bunch), and more of them have caught a whiff of this plan than anyone who's unfortunate enough to live nearby the state govt.

This will only happen with the support of private donors. Sadly..

I believe the state workers and citizens would be better served by investing the money proposed for cosmetic changes on extending the streetcar to the capitol complex.

Blog Entries

If we want to actually take our place among the top states in the country, we should step up and act like it. Our public facilities are generally poor.

The pipes leak, there's mold, the plaster is crumbling and oh yeah, chunks of the wall fall off from time to time.
    The previous property management groups didn't do much in way of repairs, other than a snazzy cap and sculpture, so the old gal's worse than she's ever been.

But hey, let's add on a parking garage and some tunnels too.

WTH? Did the project 180 people get a hold of the capitol renovation project?

Kevin - what do you mean? Are you against structured parking at the Capitol?

Thread Information