Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: State Capitol Building

Default Re: State Capitol Building

I usually don't agree with newsok/Joklahoman editorials, but this one I do (assuming it's correct, since I haven't really fact-checked everything in it):

Politics at heart of bond issue opposition by Oklahoma House members | News OK

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/4851172?embargo=1

Towering scaffolding around the state Capitol will be the first indication that the biggest repair, refurbishment and remodel in the 96-year history of the landmark building is under way.

Many details of the project are yet to be worked out, but some facts are clear.

Overall funding will be $120 million under a bond measure that was given final approval Friday by the Oklahoma Legislature. The governor is expected to sign the measure.

Is this what the State Capitol will look like in 2,000 years...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum_Romanium_1RB.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	7945

...and the AICC will look that way in 10 years.

We should make the House work w/ hardhats & steel toe boots everyday until they pass funding for the AICC. ...then we will let them fix the capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Heaton View Post

Probably nothing at all will be left. The better question is will anything be left in 200 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Heaton View Post

Probably - if future generations are lucky. Long gone are the days of the public taking pride in civic buildings. You only have to look at public schools to see this in sharp relief. At one time the local school was an object of pride and built on a grand scale and now most schools are nothing more than acres of portable mobile homes or metal sheds built for the lowest possible cost. Do you think anything like the original Central High School could every be built today - despite our vast wealth compared to OKC in 1909? It couldn't be done in a million years. Now John Rex is the new high standard and if that had been proposed in 1909 the architect would have been publicly executed for trying to rip off the public treasury.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Probably - if future generations are lucky. Long gone are the days of the public taking pride in civic buildings. You only have to look at public schools to see this in sharp relief. At one time the local school was an object of pride and built on a grand scale and now most schools are nothing more than acres of portable mobile homes or metal sheds built for the lowest possible cost. Do you think anything like the original Central High School could every be built today - despite our vast wealth compared to OKC in 1909? It couldn't be done in a million years. Now John Rex is the new high standard and if that had been proposed in 1909 the architect would have been publicly executed for trying to rip off the public treasury.
    I like this! And you are soooooooooo right. I am not even going to look it up...but my OLD Junior High School (Roosevelt) and High School (San Diego High) were magnificent old buildings.

2000 years is a long time for any building. Anything built with steel isn't going to last long at all if future generations don't keep up on the upkeep by constantly repainting and restealing a structure.

Some political fodder about the capitol project thought I would share. The sticky note comments on the pdf are funny.

http://www.shannonforussenate.com/houserepairs.pdf

From News9

OKLAHOMA CITY - For years we have watched the state capitol crumble right in front of our eyes, but finally this year, the legislature approved $120 million in bonds to fix the building.
    Oklahomans should see the repairs begin on the outside of the building before the end of the year. However, it will take about a year from now to work out a plan to fix the interior.

A visit to the capitol on Monday proved those repairs can't begin soon enough. The east tunnel of the capitol was closed as water dripped from the ceiling, the floor was flooded, and an odor wafts in the air.

"It does have a musty smell to it, kind of like an old garage that's been closed up," said David Kaul

"There's no shortage of problems in the basement of the capitol," said John Estus, Director of Public Affairs for the Office of Management and Enterprise Services, the agency in charge of maintaining the capitol.

Estus says fixing those problems in the basement will be a priority once the interior repairs begin.

- Plans Coming Together After $120 Million Approved For Capitol - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Lincoln Area Re: State Capitol Building

The large conference room on the 2nd floor which is utilized by the Governor is getting renovations.

According to former Capitol Architect Paul B. Meyer, this is something that has been on the State Capitol Preservation Commission’s “Wish List” for over 15 years.The project is currently budgeted at approximately $150,000, which would include repair and restoration costs, lighting, custom rugs, and a mural.

Name:	Governors Conference Room - Lobby.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	8642

Name:	Governors Conference Room.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	8643

When is the Satan statue going in?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    When is the Satan statue going in?
    I read this as "Where is the Satan statue going in?" and thought in front of Sally Kern's office...

Funny that you mention this. In the original contract for the building it was suppose to be 3 stories with a dome. Well, the legislature at the time of the construction decided they needed more room. So, they circumvented the contract by adding a 'basement and attic' getting the 5 floors they wanted. Consequently, they ran out of money to build the dome - and so it remained without a dome until the Keating administration.

20. Default Re: State Capitol Building

TAlan CB, i dont think that's always the case. Buildings may not be built the same way today (to last a couple hundred years), but that doesn't mean they are built to crap standards. The new Yukon High is a very nice structure. Mid-Del opens some amazing new elementary schools in the fall (check out the mid-del forum). OCPS didn't just build metal crap when MAPs came through. Part of the design around 1900 that you are referring to is just that, design of the time. Stone was more common then, as was a certain look. But remember, those are not stone structures, they're stone facades. They have a steel grid behind them just like the new stuff. It's a matter of how it's clad.

I'd say buildings that are made now are far more flexible for the future too. Most districts learned the lessons from those old structures on things to do to keep the buildings relevant in the future. Things like ensuring conduit is available for expansion for unknown future electrical/technological needs. Using drop ceiling instead of gluing tiles to ceilings so you have somewhere to put all that stuff and keep it dressed (or go with the exposed look instead). Energy efficiency, use of light, etc. They're just different.

Seems money used to put a dome on the capital could have been better spent on what is now falling apart. but thats none of my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Seems money used to put a dome on the capital could have been better spent on what is now falling apart. but thats none of my business.
    The dome was paid for with donations to a specific capital campaign, not state funds. We have the distinct pleasure of having the only state capital dome with corporate logos around the bottom rung of the dome. I guess it's hard to sell branding a plaque that reads "This wall no longer crumbling thanks to a generation donation from Devon Energy Corp."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    The dome was paid for with donations to a specific capital campaign, not state funds. We have the distinct pleasure of having the only state capital dome with corporate logos around the bottom rung of the dome. I guess it's hard to sell branding a plaque that reads "This wall no longer crumbling thanks to a generation donation from Devon Energy Corp."
    LOL. yes this is what I am told every time i mention it is how it was paid for by private donations.. to which I reply.. MONEY is MONEY.. it was better spent fixing the crumbling building rather than giving it additional weight to support.. put lipstick on that pig .. but its still a pig..

yah its nice to have a brand on EVERYTHING.. remember when arenas and ball parks just had names instead of coporate sponsors? progress I guess.

Thread Information