Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: State Capitol Building

Default Re: Oklahoma State Capitol Building Renovations

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    We need something like... 'Chia Instant Skyline'.

Just pick up a pack, spread the thick goop generously all over downtown in the surface parking lots and other empty spots.
    Sprinkle the little tower seeds all about, and then water thoroughly.
    In a few days... POP...POP, POP..., POP, POP, POP...
    Instant skyline with multitudinous new towers!
    I want towers just as much as you(i think), but how did you survive here from the pre-Devon tower years???? lol

The capitol images are stunning. And it probably looked that nice too ... long, long ago. But it's good for folks to see what it could be again, someday, sans scaffolding and falling bits of building.

3. Default Re: Oklahoma State Capitol Building Renovations

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Yep. Too bad it wasn't originally built closer to downtown at the terminus of a major street.
    I've wondered, why was the capitol built where it is now and not closer to downtown, if not in downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    I've wondered, why was the capitol built where it is now and not closer to downtown, if not in downtown?
    Don't remember who, I'm sure it's out there, but someone donated the land 2 miles from downtown for the building many moons ago.

At the time there was a push to have it built southside in Capitol Hill, they named the area for that purpose...then it didn't happen but the name stuck

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    It's such an elegant building. It's a shame it is surrounded by parking lots and a quasi-freeway.
    Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Yep. Too bad it wasn't originally built closer to downtown at the terminus of a major street.
    Kind of makes you wonder how much the building and land is worth (plus current and future renovation costs) vs. how much it would cost to just build a whole new Capitol complex in downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Don't remember who, I'm sure it's out there, but someone donated the land 2 miles from downtown for the building many moons ago.
    IIRC, William Harn, one of the original '89ers, donated part of his homestead for the Capitol building.

9. Default Re: Oklahoma State Capitol Building Renovations

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Kind of makes you wonder how much the building and land is worth (plus current and future renovation costs) vs. how much it would cost to just build a whole new Capitol complex in downtown.
    It's not the siting that's the problem, but what has been allowed to be built around it. With proper funding, there could be real opportunity to make this area stunning.

JTF: don't have the article handy but I think I read where it would either be cheaper or about the same to build new rather than renovate (but that was just for the building on the same site)

''OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma legislators are spending $7 million to remodel or completely overhaul offices at the Capitol. But some legislators say the project is wasteful and the state has more pressing needs.
    Workers are tearing down walls and opening up ceilings to create more office space, more committee meeting space for both the House and Senate.

Areas on three floors including the old Supreme Court chambers are being gutted.

Senate Appropriations chair Clark Jolley took us behind the scenes, showing us how, over the years, different finishes had been layered on top of each other, rather than trying to maintain the building's original beauty.

The $7 million cost of the renovation work is coming out of the general fund budget. Jolley says the improvements have been needed for years, and are a one-time expense.

But critics say the timing is wrong, the money could be better spent.

Now, it's important to note that this, technically, is not part of the big Capitol renovation. That will begin after a special committee decides how to spend the $120 million the state has allocated for Capitol repairs.

The committee meets for the first time on Tuesday''

- $7M Being Spent To Remodel Oklahoma State Capitol - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Lincoln Area Re: Oklahoma State Capitol Building Renovations

Update: The renovations are almost complete for the House of Representatives offices and conference rooms. Names of the Representatives have been painted on the doors and they should start moving after the holiday.

Senate office renovations are also nearing completion, a lot of work is still left to do on the large committee room on the fifth floor. Senators should start moving into their offices in the second week of December.

I will try to take and post pictures soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	5117 This is the rendering of the large conference room. Furniture should be different. Sorry for the low quality.

It's such an elegant building. It's a shame it is surrounded by parking lots and a quasi-freeway.
    This. It's a beautiful Capitol, one of the best. But we turned it into a drive-thru Capitol w oil wells in front. It's been taken over as a shrine to car culture.

Quote Originally Posted by sethsrott View Post

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	5117 This is the rendering of the large conference room. Furniture should be different. Sorry for the low quality.
    I have to agree with the project being wasteful, the conference room looks like crap

16. Default Re: Oklahoma State Capitol Building Renovations

Any updates on the Capital renovations?

The construction on the Committee Rooms is still underway. Senators have moved into their new offices (a total of 10 were constructed). The House of Representatives has almost completed their project. I know several State Representatives have already moved into their new offices on the Second Floor (Old Supreme Court office space)

I will try to get some pictures of the new Senate area on the Second Floor as well. The Senate now occupies the spaces that formerly belonged to the Court of Criminal Appeals.

Name:	535 North Committee Room.jpg 
Views:	5447 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	5593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minority leaders office.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	5594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Senator Barringtons office.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	5595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Senator Barringtons Office 2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	5596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	True North Hallway.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	5597

Thanks for the photos, Seth!

Name:	535  Photo 3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	5713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	535 Photo 2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	5714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	535 Photo.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	5715

Updates: 5th Floor Conference Room, added lighting and finished with the ceiling painting.

The original design had these large roads as part of the design. Grand Avenues were part of city planning as statements of politic power and public spaces during the period in which this complex was designed.

Here is an original sketch from architect Andrew Layton, from this web-site: In The Beginning—The Oklahoma State Capitol—Oklahoma State Archives—Oklahoma Department of Libraries

Name:	Historic-OK-capital-sketch.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	318.0 KB 
ID:	5729

I like the roads. They are fine and no shame is brought to the building by having them. They do a great job in moving traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by TAlan CB View Post
    The original design had these large roads as part of the design. Grand Avenues were part of city planning as statements of politic power and public spaces during the period in which this complex was designed.

Here is an original sketch from architect Andrew Layton, from this web-site: In The Beginning—The Oklahoma State Capitol—Oklahoma State Archives—Oklahoma Department of Libraries

Name:	Historic-OK-capital-sketch.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	318.0 KB 
ID:	5729
    Oh my gosh! I wish that archway had been completed as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I like the roads. They are fine and no shame is brought to the building by having them. They do a great job in moving traffic.
    I would have liked what is in the picture better. Especially the arch.

Blog Entries

Hey we didn't build the dome originally so no reason we can't go back and build the arch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I would have liked what is in the picture better. Especially the arch.
    yeah I would love to see the arch

Thread Information