Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burnt Ends

Default Burnt Ends

I am pretty familiar with OKC BBQ. I do not know of any that serve Kansas City style burnt ends. I recently had burnt ends at LC's in Kansas City and they were fantastic. Any suggestions for burnt ends in the OKC area?

Bigray in Ok

Default Re: Burnt Ends

Those are hard to find in areas where they are not normally associated. Meatpackers typically butcher meat and send various cuts to various regions. Tri-tip goes west and brisket goes south and east. Those burnt ends are the ribs that are tapered to a point at the end of the rib. They're traditionally cut off before cooking because they will over-cook and burn. Obviously, in Kansas City that's not the case. In modern meatpacking those are removed altogether before the meat is shipped out. It makes the rib more uniform and easier to package. Those cuts are usually bought by large restaurant chains. Applebee's buys almost all the featherbones in the US for their riblets. Unless the BBQ restaurant requests the full cut of ribs, they probably start off with that same rectangular rack of ribs you find at the grocery store.

The burnt ends from Arthur Bryants and Oklahoma Joes in Kansas City are to die for. Worth the drive to KC just to eat at either place.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    The burnt ends from Arthur Bryants and Oklahoma Joes in Kansas City are to die for. Worth the drive to KC just to eat at either place.

Too bad OKC doesn't have an Oklahoma Joes BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck johnson View Post
    Those are hard to find in areas where they are not normally associated. Meatpackers typically butcher meat and send various cuts to various regions. Tri-tip goes west and brisket goes south and east. Those burnt ends are the ribs that are tapered to a point at the end of the rib. They're traditionally cut off before cooking because they will over-cook and burn. Obviously, in Kansas City that's not the case. In modern meatpacking those are removed altogether before the meat is shipped out. It makes the rib more uniform and easier to package. Those cuts are usually bought by large restaurant chains. Applebee's buys almost all the featherbones in the US for their riblets. Unless the BBQ restaurant requests the full cut of ribs, they probably start off with that same rectangular rack of ribs you find at the grocery store.
    I thought they were from the point of the brisket

Quote Originally Posted by traemac View Post
    +1

You are correct.

Rib burnt ends are a different thing entirely from traditional burnt ends from the brisket. We have a KC Style place here in Denver that does beef brisket and pork burnt ends, pretty good ones. Not as good as KC but pretty good for Colorado.

9. Default Re: Burnt Ends

Burnt ends aren't made from pork ribs. They are made from the point (deckle) of beef brisket.

10. Default Re: Burnt Ends

If there is currently any Q-raunt in OKC still serving burnt ends. They are very well hidden because I haven't found a burnt end in OKC since Coach's in Bricktown closed for business.

There are a couple of places in Tulsa that I know serve them.... Oklahoma Joe's and BurnCo BBQ.

Oklahoma Joes serves them daily and BurnCo only as a special but of the two BurnCo is better.

There is always the hope that Back Door BBQ will serve them when they open this month.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    If there is currently any Q-raunt in OKC still serving burnt ends. They are very well hidden because I haven't found a burnt end in OKC since Coach's in Bricktown closed for business.

There are a couple of places in Tulsa that I know serve them.... Oklahoma Joe's and BurnCo BBQ.

Oklahoma Joes serves them daily and BurnCo only as a special but of the two BurnCo is better.

There is always the hope that Back Door BBQ will serve them when they open this month.
    Where is the Oklahoma Joes located in Tulsa? I'd for sure drive up to T-town to eat there.

Googled it and found it. Thanks anyway.

13. Default Re: Burnt Ends

Don't drive up there thinking it will be as good as the one in Kansas City. You will be disappointed.

I haven't been to the one in K.C. yet but if I drive all the way to K.C. and it's no better than the one in Broken Arrow I'm going to be disappointed.

The one in Broken Arrow wasn't bad but I wouldn't drive back to Broken Arrow to eat there...... BurnCo BBQ on the other hand was the first to receive my 3 Hour Award which means I would drive 3 hours to eat there again.

Don't drive up there thinking it will be as good as the one in Kansas City. You will be disappointed.

I haven't been to the one in K.C. yet but if I drive all the way to K.C. and it's no better than the one in Broken Arrow I'm going to be disappointed.

The one in Broken Arrow wasn't bad but I wouldn't drive back to Broken Arrow to eat there...... BurnCo BBQ on the other hand was the first to receive my 3 Hour Award which means I would drive 3 hours to eat there again.
    Well, I definitely don't think Okla Joe's is as good as Arthur Bryants in KC. But, those burnt ends in BA are closer than KC.

It's summer time. Hang out at any lake and you will see plenty of burnt ends.

Burnt ends aren't made from pork ribs. They are made from the point (deckle) of beef brisket.
    Yes, they are found at the bottom of the spare ribs by the sternum...which is attached to the brisket which overlies the sternum and ribs.

+1

17. Default Re: Burnt Ends

Yes, they are found at the bottom of the spare ribs by the sternum...which is attached to the brisket which overlies the sternum and ribs.
    Ok, I did some searching and some people do make pork burnt ends. So I will give you that. But all the pics I looked at showed them to be made from pork butt... not ribs.

The OP also asked about Kansas City Style Burnt Ends which became popular first at Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City. The OP also mentioned LC's which is another Kansas City Q-Raunt known for burnt ends made from the point of beef brisket.

So I'd be willing to bet you a plate of burnt ends the OP was not trying to find anyplace in OKC serving pork burnt ends.

Bubba's - Bubba's Bubba-Q | Bubba's Bubba-Q Home of OKC's Best BBQ

It lists them as "when available". Never been there though, and don't even know if they're still around, but there you go.

19. Default Re: Burnt Ends

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Bubba's - Bubba's Bubba-Q | Bubba's Bubba-Q Home of OKC's Best BBQ

It lists them as "when available". Never been there though, and don't even know if they're still around, but there you go.
    Was there shortly after Bubba's opened but they weren't on the menu then. Guess I'll have to make a return visit and see if I can catch them serving. I wasn't really a fan of Bubba's Q but I can always get a Nathan's Famous if they don't have burnt ends.

Ok, I did some searching and some people do make pork burnt ends. So I will give you that. But all the pics I looked at showed them to be made from pork butt... not ribs.

The OP also asked about Kansas City Style Burnt Ends which became popular first at Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City. The OP also mentioned LC's which is another Kansas City Q-Raunt known for burnt ends made from the point of beef brisket.

So I'd be willing to bet you a plate of burnt ends the OP was not trying to find anyplace in OKC serving pork burnt ends.

Agreed, which was my original point which I can see could have been explained better which is that it's all very regional and often not available due to availability and/or practice. I never had tri-tip or even heard of it until I lived in California and they think brisket is just for pastrami. It took me months to find actual brisket in a store. I miss the smoker tent/stand in Buchanan's parking lot, etc.

On an aside, have you tried Railhead in Guthrie? I've only had ribs and sausage but already a fan.

21. Default Re: Burnt Ends

On an aside, have you tried Railhead in Guthrie? I've only had ribs and sausage but already a fan.
    Railhead is on my list of places to try.... Glad to hear someone actually give good comments on their Q because most of the diner comments I have seen mention how great their burgers are. I'm always a little leary of places where people talk more about the non-Q menu items.

OKBBQEA: i know what you mean, stuck me odd that Van's BBQ stand recently had a Groupon but it was only good for the burgers...

23. Default Re: Burnt Ends

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    OKBBQEA: i know what you mean, stuck me odd that Van's BBQ stand recently had a Groupon but it was only good for the burgers...
    Hope it wasn't for the Van's on 4th Street in Moore.... The tornado took it out.

Come to think of it, I think it was

Van's Groupon on the burgers recently gave a choice of locations, but once you chose, that's the one you used it at.
    Van's also recently had a Living Social special on 10 for 20 of food, no burger menu restriction. Got one for me and the lovely to use, and one to gift out later.
    May go to the son who is now living across town, or maybe my daughter and her hub when they come to town later in the summer. Then again, it may go to someone who takes me with them to lunch. I do love me some Van's.

on edit -

Local son is here, mowing the yard so his tired poppa doesn't have to pretend he has that much energy.
    Yeah, that extra certificate to gift out ... it just landed in his inbox with a big Poppa Loves You note.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 06-11-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: brag on da lad.

Thread Information