Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storm Shelters

Lightbulb Storm Shelters

We're looking to have one installed, what is the best type and who are the best installers in the metro?

Default Re: Storm Shelters

I would suggest Oz, seeing as they took a direct hit from the E-F5 in Moore and survived. They also seem like great products. They're above ground to.

I'm having one of these saferooms installed in my garage next week. I took these photos of their shelters at OKC West Stockyards last Sunday, two days after the Friday tornado came through there. (I'd sure like to know what the rating of the tornado was at that location!?)

I found them on the internet searching for that type design, precast that can be installed in an existing garage. I had called the company the week prior to see if they sold their products in Oklahoma and when they told me there were some at the West Stockyards we planned to go see them. I did not know at the time I would be looking at field tested models! Those overturned signs on the far left are precast concrete.

Vaughn Concrete Products. Based in Amarillo. Pricing is on their PDF brochures but does not cover some few hundreds more for Oklahoma delivery.

Storm Shelters

We ordered a Flat Safe last week. They're putting it in in August. We looked at Smart Shelters too, but ended up liking the flat design. The Flat Safe seems like it'll be less prone to rusting. The Smart Shelter has a painted epoxy coating all over. My parents have a Storm Safe that is the same way, and the lid is rusting. The Flat Safe we got is galvanized, and it has that epoxy garage floor coating with the speckles on the lid. Can't remember the right name for that. Both seem like good companies in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    We ordered a Flat Safe last week. They're putting it in in August. We looked at Smart Shelters too, but ended up liking the flat design. The Flat Safe seems like it'll be less prone to rusting. The Smart Shelter has a painted epoxy coating all over. My parents have a Storm Safe that is the same way, and the lid is rusting. The Flat Safe we got is galvanized, and it has that epoxy garage floor coating with the speckles on the lid. Can't remember the right name for that. Both seem like good companies in my opinion.
    Used Flat Safe as well last year...Sold our house this spring before we could even use it but they did a good job as far as we could tell

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Used Flat Safe as well last year...Sold our house this spring before we could even use it but they did a good job as far as we could tell
    The tornado came within 5 miles of our house in Yukon before turning. Had to get one after that. Way too close for comfort. I'm hoping that it is as flush with the floor. Putting it in the third garage bay, and hoping I can still roll lawn equipment over it. I liked in their showroom how they had them installed in the floor rather than sitting out. We could actually walk down there to see how it would really be rather than duck into the side. Hope you got a storm shelter at your new place! Good life insurance policy!

7. Default Re: Storm Shelters

We installed with Ground Zero winter of '12. I preferred their design to Flat Safe's (different type of lid). It is still in good shape and shows no sign of rust.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    The tornado came within 5 miles of our house in Yukon before turning. Had to get one after that. Way too close for comfort. I'm hoping that it is as flush with the floor. Putting it in the third garage bay, and hoping I can still roll lawn equipment over it. I liked in their showroom how they had them installed in the floor rather than sitting out. We could actually walk down there to see how it would really be rather than duck into the side. Hope you got a storm shelter at your new place! Good life insurance policy!
    Definitely putting one in at our new place...Will not go without one ever again

9. Default Re: Storm Shelters

Guess we are gonna go with one in the garage since our garage is long enough to allow us to pull forward instead of backing our cars outside and into any hail.

I need one raised just a bit from the floor just in case water gets inside my garage - don't wanna be sealed in there with water coming in - pretty certain the wife would be clawing to get back out.

Still holding out for a federal grant to pay for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    We have one in our current house but are planning on moving, any more news on the rebate time frame ?

11. Default Re: Storm Shelters

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    We have one in our current house but are planning on moving, any more news on the rebate time frame ?
    Depends on who you apply through. I know a couple years back, using myself as an example, Norman did a lottery but so did Cleveland County. I didn't get selected by Norman but I am on the list for Cleveland County. The problem though is that money ran out or never arrived for the Cleveland County part. So as of the last update, we are all on the waitlist for the next round of funding. I read somewhere that the grants through the state's program are already done for the year - you had to sign up by January I think.

12. Default Re: Storm Shelters

I saw some banks doing no interest, easy qualifying terms for shelter loans.

13. Default Re: Storm Shelters

Guess we are gonna go with one in the garage since our garage is long enough to allow us to pull forward instead of backing our cars outside and into any hail.

I need one raised just a bit from the floor just in case water gets inside my garage - don't wanna be sealed in there with water coming in - pretty certain the wife would be clawing to get back out.

I'm curious as to why you'd go for one in the garage. If memory serves, you said you have a couple of acres...Aren't the outoor in-ground ones a lot cheaper?

Not picking in any way...I'm just wondering if there's any benefit to the indoor ones that make them worth the expense...Just closer and staying out of the rain?

<<<had one of the outdoor in-ground ones put in last year and has already spent entirely too much time in it

just curious, has anyone heard or seen examples of certain styles of storm shelters that fared well in this recent bout of weather, and any styles that failed, or had problems?

I want to say I saw a little clip of some kind of shelter where the people inside were trying to keep the hatch shut, due to some faulty hinge or latch system.

15. Default Re: Storm Shelters

I would think that if a shelter failed, the news would be on that like stink on a monkey and we'd never hear the end of it.

My door has a pretty robust latch, plus two "dogs" that you throw once you're inside...If my door comes open on accident, chances are it's got a Ford F250 embedded in it.

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    just curious, has anyone heard or seen examples of certain styles of storm shelters that fared well in this recent bout of weather, and any styles that failed, or had problems?

I want to say I saw a little clip of some kind of shelter where the people inside were trying to keep the hatch shut, due to some faulty hinge or latch system.
    Above ground shelters with the right specs. OZ (safe rooms, shelters) is a good example. The above ground shelters all use different specs, but the best companies use specifications that were first made for the little buildings that monitored atomic bomb testings in the desert from 1945-the late 50's. Those small buildings that can be seen in some footage of these tests were built for cameras and instruments that were top-secret, we've still seen few photos from them. They were built to withstand the blast and the blast winds (waves) of these bombs. They don't budge. A direct hit from an EF-5 leaves them shrugging their shoulders as if a piece of dust landed on them. No water table issues, no flooding, no worries about being trapped. The key is finding and using reputable dealers, don't just go by their word, but a quick check on the web pretty much gives you a good idea.

17. Default Re: Storm Shelters

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    I'm curious as to why you'd go for one in the garage. If memory serves, you said you have a couple of acres...Aren't the outoor in-ground ones a lot cheaper?

Not picking in any way...I'm just wondering if there's any benefit to the indoor ones that make them worth the expense...Just closer and staying out of the rain?

<<<had one of the outdoor in-ground ones put in last year and has already spent entirely too much time in it
    I'm no fan of running outside during a storm to get in my shelter (rain, hail, lightning, falling trees or limbs, etc.) and not too keen to peek out in what may be the middle of the worst part.

In the garage I can remain above ground until necessary and not get wet or pummeled in route.

Also, had relatives that had a garage shelter put in and it was the same price as many outdoor shelters (though a tiny bit smaller).

18. Default Re: Storm Shelters

I'm no fan of running outside during a storm to get in my shelter (rain, hail, lightning, falling trees or limbs, etc.) and not too keen to peek out in what may be the middle of the worst part.

In the garage I can remain above ground until necessary and not get wet or pummeled in route.

Also, had relatives that had a garage shelter put in and it was the same price as many outdoor shelters (though a tiny bit smaller).
    Right on. I figured that was about it. Although the pricing thing was not our experience last year when we checked around...The in-floor ones were almost a grand more. Guess we could have checked around some more

19. Default Re: Storm Shelters

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    Right on. I figured that was about it. Although the pricing thing was not our experience last year when we checked around...The in-floor ones were almost a grand more. Guess we could have checked around some more
    If memory serves me they received something like a $2,600 rebate and the unit was only $2,400 installed. Either way the rebate more than covered their purchase and install.

20. Default Re: Storm Shelters

If memory serves me they received something like a $2,600 rebate and the unit was only $2,400 installed. Either way the rebate more than covered their purchase and install.
    Most rebates will only cover up to 75% of the cost, even if the total rebate available is more than the cost of the unit. So they lucked out very well.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Most rebates will only cover up to 75% of the cost, even if the total rebate available is more than the cost of the unit. So they lucked out very well.
    What do these companies charge? Very few prices are available online.

Quote Originally Posted by LandRunOkie View Post
    What do these companies charge? Very few prices are available online.
    I don't know anything about this company but they have prices on their webpage.

Biggs Backhoe | Serving Oklahoma City Metro for Storm Shelters, Safe Rooms, Septic Systems & Dozer Work

We bought a precast above ground one for about double of what a similar one would cost from Biggs. It came from:

Vaughn Concrete Products, Inc.

The brochures on the vaughn website list prices but it's about $800 more for OKC installation IIRC. I called them and they gave me a price over the phone. The vaughn shelters are on display at the OKC West Stockyards and were hit in the tornado that went through there in May. Photos of that are on their facebook webpage. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vaugh...52968351390280

(I took a couple of those photos.)

Thanks for the info. I like the look of those doors on the Vaughn ones like what you have. I would give preference to an in-state company if I were to buy, though.
    Btw, this thread might should be moved to the Retail & Services category.

A lot will depend on what your needs are.
    Underground and out of a garage is better IMHO but that’s not always practical.
    Your home and its configuration may limit options.
    Be sure and check with your city about its codes and get your shelter registered.
    There were many people trapped in their shelters for many hours after the 2013 Moore tornado

We've ordered a 9 X 7 (internal measurements) above ground shelter from Storm Shelters - Highway 76 Sales LLC. It was originally scheduled to be installed about now but the weather has delayed pouring it. We're not sure when they will have it ready but we need to get the ground prepared before it gets here. It is going in right off our back patio next to the house so we can wire it for internet, power, etc. Obviously, we'd lose power if a tornado came through but usually that doesn't happen and we could monitor the weather in safety while we hunkered down - probably check in on Venture's weather website. The shed can be used for storage in the off season.

We wanted an above ground because we have dogs and are getting older. We could have put one in the garage but it would have had to be really small and even then would have crowded husband's mini workshop. I looked into the under the car ones but he was adamant that he didn't want one of those. He was worried about the car being damaged and leaking nasty fluids while we were trapped inside. Our garage door faces south and that made me a little nervous about such a big opening just waiting for the winds to snatch away the house.

We had some people out to give us estimates on a below ground right outside the back door. One didn't show and one came out and spent almost two hours going over the yard. He seemed very thorough and upfront, and enthusiastically assured us he had lots of people who had shelters we could go look at, installed. He promised to set up a time for us to go see one - and we never heard back from him.

We also had someone who had done a lot of work for us who specializes in concrete buildings. He gave us an estimate for an above ground that attached to the house and had a door to the master bathroom. I would have loved that but didn't want to spend $18,000 even though the room would have been fantastic for a panic room/office/etc. I think the estimate was more than reasonable for what he was suggesting but more than we needed.

Thread Information