Widgets Magazine

Thread: Tornado Procedure Consultant

Weather Tornado Procedure Consultant

With all of the recent severe weather, the company I work for is interested in finding a professional consultant who can evaluate our current tornado procedures and, if necessary, help formulate new procedures for the future.

Is this even a thing, or will we just receive generic info (interior room, away from windows,etc.)? Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

Default Re: Tornado Procedure Consultant

Search for disaster consultants or disaster preparedness or similar terms

I'd say something about a local weatherman on Angie's List here, but that could be construed as "tacky".
    Do your bosses need someone to properly align their bibs, too?

Or did the the e-Trade baby actually hit it big?

There used to be a guy . . . torea? . . . thunder? who could provide some insight, but I think one of them is up around Kansas City and has an aversion for train horns . . . maybe on account of they sound too much like tornado sirens?

Happy to have been of assistance.

I'm not sure if you're failing at being funny or trying to be antagonistic...

5. Default Re: Tornado Procedure Consultant

I'm sure there are professionals out there that have a formulas and route planning to calculate everything. I've put together plans myself but they were also either companies I've own or were at least in management. I'm not sure, but the NWS might have some recommendations on how to put the plan together or some references. Most of the time something like this falls into a general disaster recovery plan...so maybe search for something along those lines as well.

6. Default Re: Tornado Procedure Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I'd say something about a local weatherman on Angie's List here, but that could be construed as "tacky".
    Do your bosses need someone to properly align their bibs, too?

Or did the the e-Trade baby actually hit it big?

There used to be a guy . . . torea? . . . thunder? who could provide some insight, but I think one of them is up around Kansas City and has an aversion for train horns . . . maybe on account of they sound too much like tornado sirens?

Happy to have been of assistance.
    I never get RadMod's humor either, don't feel badly.

Here are a couple of links that may provide helpful information. You may have already seen these, but I'm posting anyway for others.

NWS Thunderstorm, Lightning and Tornado, Severe Weather Safety, Brochures, Links

The Online Tornado FAQ (by Roger Edwards, SPC)

8. Default Re: Tornado Procedure Consultant

The International Code Commission publishes a Standard for the construction of tornado shelters (ICC-500). In addition to standards for the design of shelters for protecting a few people, to several hundred people, it contains good ancillary information... including some procedural items. The ICC-500 document references several other resources, including FEMA, that provide information critical to developing a plan. An effective preparedness plan should start with a shelter. I recommend teaming with an architect that's done several large shelters; they'll help you identify other consultants that can assist with your overall plan.

Tornado Procedures
    Chap 1, Page 1

Turn off KFOR weather.
    Go outside and watch the sky.

I keed, I keed. Turning the sound off is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    With all of the recent severe weather, the company I work for is interested in finding a professional consultant who can evaluate our current tornado procedures and, if necessary, help formulate new procedures for the future.

Is this even a thing, or will we just receive generic info (interior room, away from windows,etc.)? Any assistance on this would be appreciated.
    We are actually looking at doing this for a client with numerous of buildings in the vicinity of the May 20th tornado. We are proposing to use FEMA document P-431, which is has a comprehensive way to look at selecting areas of refuge in an existing structure that are not rated as safe rooms. It is a free download online. I think this is exactly what you are looking for. If your company is interested in having an engineer assess the structure per these guidelines, send me a PM...

Thread Information