Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - June 2013

Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I don't think it would matter. Paxton and Hunt surviving the "Growling Terror of Wakita" would have probably been punctured a few times by flying debris.

However your tub strap example...it's going to come down to the type of tub and where it is located to even be effective. If mine were in the center part of the house, I'm still not putting much faith into the fiberglass tub.

Easiest way to make it easy is just put safe rooms in the build code to put one in the center part of the house and call it good.
    Yeah, after I made my initial post, I got this image of a splintered 2x4 missiling its way through the side of the tub.

How come there aren't more half in half out homes built in Oklahoma like I saw all over the place in North Central Missouri when I lived there? Ya know, where they're built into the side of a hill? Yes, it is hilly there compared to here, but it's not like ya can't pile some dirt up and compact it in the same way in which they build highway ramps here.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Yeah, after I made my initial post, I got this image of a splintered 2x4 missiling its way through the side of the tub.

How come there aren't more half in half out homes built in Oklahoma like I saw all over the place in North Central Missouri when I lived there? Ya know, where they're built into the side of a hill? Yes, it is hilly there compared to here, but it's not like ya can't pile some dirt up and compact it in the same way in which they build highway ramps here.
    I lived in one of those earth-contact homes you speak of when I lived in Central Missouri. It could work in OKC but would require larger lots than most homes are currently built on in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I lived in one of those earth-contact homes you speak of when I lived in Central Missouri. It could work in OKC but would require larger lots than most homes are currently built on in my opinion.
    Yeah, most of the ones I saw up there were about the size of a double wide on at least a half acre lot, which you obviously won't get in the city, but there are definitely lots like that the further out you get.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post

That's a lot of work and money when a safe room or underground shelter is easier. lol

There is a lot that goes into getting an EF5 from damage. There may only have been a slab but if the homes didn't have anchors for the walls and such, then all of that has to go into it. I'm not minimizing the human impact here, we are talking about the science and factors that go into the rating.
    Well, you can see a big difference in damage when your driving down Santa Fe. The Westmoor neighbor has a lot more interior walls standing than the the Plaza Towers neighbor which is a lot older than the Westmoor neighborhood by a couple of decades.

The current radar shows a pretty big storm out northwest that appears to moving towards the metro:

However, the predictive radar has that cell moving more E/NE into southern Kansas, with the current cells SW of the city joining and forming a small line that will enter the metro before 06:00:

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That's a lot of work and money when a safe room or underground shelter is easier. lol
    Oh well.... Late night thinking at its finest ;-)

Has anyone seen a rating for the tornado that hit the West Livestock place at US66 and Banner Rd Friday night?

There are some above ground shelters there that did fine.

I'm assuming that is the Tornada that was an F5 when it was at El Reno but haven't seen anything about how it changed as it moved.

Man I wish we could save some of this rain for the summer. It's not doing any good now everything is full.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    The current radar shows a pretty big storm out northwest that appears to moving towards the metro:

However, the predictive radar has that cell moving more E/NE into southern Kansas, with the current cells SW of the city joining and forming a small line that will enter the metro before 06:00:

I'm not so sure that "predictive" radar did such a great job predicting...

11. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - June 2013

Slight Risk today officially scaled back now to mainly just the Red River counties due to these morning complexes working over the atmosphere over us.

Slight Risk today officially scaled back now to mainly just the Red River counties due to these morning complexes working over the atmosphere over us.
    WOO HOO! Best news of the week so far!

13. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    I'm not so sure that "predictive" radar did such a great job predicting...
    It is from TWC.

What does the next couple weeks look like? We need some hot dry weather for all the wheat farmers.

It is from TWC.
    That explains everything.

Another 1.5-2 inches over most of OKC again last night, still light showers falling.

These temperatures are awesome!

Is the rain over for the day, no more until tonight?

18. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by crimsoncrazy View Post
    What does the next couple weeks look like? We need some hot dry weather for all the wheat farmers.
    Looks like some 90s work in in Western OK by the weekend. They may or may not work closer to I-35 getting into the following weekend. So overall...hot weather, not really happening. They probably should have planted corn or soybeans this year. :-P

Rain wise we'll dry out for a couple days, have chances this weekend, and dry out for much of next week until more storms the following weekend. GFS also hints of a tropical system making landfall on the Gulf Coast around the 19th moving that moisture up over us...so that's another shot there.

All in all it depends who you talk to. Most of us are going to welcome the wet/warm conditions going into summer. Those that like or need hot/dry conditions are going to be grumpy. Personally...I like my electric bill being low.

19. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Is the rain over for the day, no more until tonight?
    More chances later this afternoon and night. Severe threat is low, but rain chances are still there.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - June 2013

Latest update on May 31st...

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
    758 AM CDT WED JUN 5 2013

...UPDATE ON MAY 31 EL RENO TORNADO...

METEOROLOGISTS WITH THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AND RESEARCHERS FROM
    THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA AND THE CENTER FOR SEVERE WEATHER RESEARCH
    CONTINUE TO INVESTIGATE INFORMATION RELATED TO THE MAY 31 EL RENO
    TORNADO.

PLEASE NOTE: THESE DATA ARE PRELIMINARY AND NOT OFFICIAL. METEOROLOGISTS
    CONTINUE TO COLLECT AND INVESTIGATE ADDITIONAL DATA.

WITH THIS INVESTIGATION... THE TORNADO HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN EF5
    TORNADO BASED ON VELOCITY DATA FROM THE RESEARCH MOBILE RADAR DATA
    FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA RAXPOL RADAR AND THE DOPPLER ON
    WHEELS RADARS FROM THE CENTER FOR SEVERE WEATHER RESEARCH. IN
    ADDITION... THE WIDTH OF TORNADO WAS MEASURED BY THE MOBILE RADAR
    DATA TO BE 2.6 MILES AFTER THE TORNADO PASSED EAST OF US HIGHWAY 81
    SOUTH OF EL RENO. THIS WIDTH IS THE WIDTH OF THE TORNADO ITSELF AND
    DOES NOT INCLUDE THE DAMAGING STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS NEAR THE TORNADO AS
    DETERMINED BY THE HIGH-RESOLUTION MOBILE RADAR DATA. THE 2.6 MILE
    TORNADO PATH WIDTH IS BELIEVED TO BE THE WIDEST TORNADO ON RECORD
    IN THE UNITED STATES.

.EL RENO TORNADO

RATING: EF5
    PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 16.2 MILES
    PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 2.6 MILES
    FATALITIES: N/A
    INJURIES: N/A

START DATE: MAY 31 2013
    START TIME: 6:03 PM CDT
    START LOCATION: 8.3 WSW OF EL RENO /CANADIAN COUNTY /OK
    NEAR COURTNEY ROAD ABOUT 1 MILE NORTH
    OF REUTER ROAD
    START LAT/LON: 35.495 / -98.095

END DATE: MAY 31 2013
    END TIME: 6:43 PM CDT
    END LOCATION: 6.2 ESE OF EL RENO /CANADIAN COUNTY /OK
    NEAR INTERSTATE 40 AND BANNER ROAD
    END LAT/LON: 35.502 / -97.848

$$

SMITH/GARFIELD/SPEHEGER/AUSTIN

21. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - June 2013

Has anyone seen anything from OUN about the tornado just west of Kingfisher on May 31st around 530pm?

KWTV had video of it and mention it on the facebook page, but nothing in any LSR or PNS products yet. Seems weird that it is being overlooked unless they just haven't got there yet. Which at this point I'm not sure they'll be able to do much when it comes to the rating.

Granted I think the problem in all this is that that the TV stations don't actually file storm reports and pass them off to the NWS.

My guess is they haven't gone up there yet. But it is odd considering there is video evidence.

ugh... My house got more water in it last night from the rains.

I live in Surrey Hills...from 3:00 AM to 9:00 AM today, we received 3 inches of rain. My yard is a lake. Ground cannot hold any more. But I'm not complaining because last year, we were begging for rain.

25. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    I live in Surrey Hills...from 3:00 AM to 9:00 AM today, we received 3 inches of rain. My yard is a lake. Ground cannot hold any more. But I'm not complaining because last year, we were begging for rain.
    Feast or famine. Like I always say...Mother Nature will balance things out. She's just doing it all at once. LOL

Thread Information