Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Again, not the city. OG&E maintains the street lights.
    Okay, but the point remains. Why are the lights in such shoddy condition?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Oh, I agree with the point. I just think it's more helpful to know who to blame. OG&E, in my opinion, does a very 'shoddy' job of keeping the street lights maintained.
    But it is more fun and on-point to blame the government for all problems.

Shouldn't the City of OKC keep OG&E accountable, THAT is the issue, as it looks bad on the CITY. Most out of towners noticing the poor lighting aren't going to go, man OKC sure has an OG&E problem.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Shouldn't the City of OKC keep OG&E accountable, THAT is the issue, as it looks bad on the CITY. Most out of towners noticing the poor lighting aren't going to go, man OKC sure has an OG&E problem.
    No. Rover clearly pointed out that asking the city to be accountable is abhorrent.

Obviously, there is a problem with the monopoly OG&E has on street lights. The condition of the lights around town is abysmal, but what kind of accountability does OG&E have to the citizens over streetlights? This needs to be pushed by the citizens on the city until we see better work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    No. Rover clearly pointed out that asking the city to be accountable is abhorrent.

Obviously, there is a problem with the monopoly OG&E has on street lights. The condition of the lights around town is abysmal, but what kind of accountability does OG&E have to the citizens over streetlights? This needs to be pushed by the citizens on the city until we see better work.
    Over-reach a little? LOL

When did it become wrong to hold the RIGHT entity accountable instead of continuing to first and always accuse the "government". Pick up the phone, type an email, text them, protest in front of their office, do whatever you are moved to do, but do it to OG&E. Let THEM know your outrage. Pick the right party to complain about.

There is still lots to hold the government accountable for and to complain about, so have at it.

I have said it in this thread before and I will say it again. Compared to many cities, OKC's street lights are in good working condition on its freeways. The lights are out at both ends of the new I-40 I believe because construction is still going on there. Copper theft is a big problem everywhere and when you see a string of lights that all of a sudden stop working, that is many times the culprit.

7. Default Re: What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

The high mast lamps in Houston go out all the time for weeks, and when they do go out it happens in long sections, like an entire mile. Eventually, the crews lower the lamps for maintenance only to have them go out again six months later for another four or five weeks. And these are new lamps.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

It would be interesting to see ODOT use this type of lighting on freeways to reduce light pollution: https://www.clantonassociates.com/ou.../i-25-trinidad

I'd like to know WHY the stripes that denote the middle of the road, and each line, are not being installed or kept up?

Granted, sometimes you'll see them, but maybe paint is too expensive to buy? HAHA thats a joke.

I'm tired of driving at night, or in rainy weather, etc, and not being able to tell what lane I'm in, as well as what lane other vehicles are in.

WTH is up with this?

10. Default Re: What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I'd like to know WHY the stripes that denote the middle of the road, and each line, are not being installed or kept up?

Granted, sometimes you'll see them, but maybe paint is too expensive to buy? HAHA thats a joke.

I'm tired of driving at night, or in rainy weather, etc, and not being able to tell what lane I'm in, as well as what lane other vehicles are in.

WTH is up with this?
    This!!!!

^

I mentioned this when I first moved back here.

I was driving on I-44 in the rain going to the airport at night and due to the poor striping and lack of streetlights, I had no idea if I was even in a lane. Very dangerous.

12. Default Re: What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I mentioned this when I first moved back here.

I was driving on I-44 in the rain going to the airport at night and due to the poor striping and lack of streetlights, I had no idea if I was even in a lane. Very dangerous.
    Perhaps when someone has a wreck in the rain and in a hiway section where lights have been out an extended period of time, they sue the #s$%%! and name both the city and OG&E in the suit. I would think this would both sort out who is the responsible party and give both parties incentive to keep up lighting and striping.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It would be interesting to see ODOT use this type of lighting on freeways to reduce light pollution: https://www.clantonassociates.com/ou.../i-25-trinidad
    It would be interesting to see ODOT use ANY type of lighting on freeways like 240.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post

WTH is up with this?
    Been a problem the 40 years I've been driving here, don't know if it will *ever* change. Other municipalities in other states aren't nearly this bad. Self-driving cars will never happen in OKC if things don't change WRT striping.

Thread Information