Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

Default What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

So over the last 2 months or so, I've noticed a significant increase in number of street lights out across the city. I've never seen a city the size of OKC or bigger that has such an issue with it (we won't talk about the color of lights being random either). Over the last few weeks, including this past weekend (and no, I don't think it was storm related, as random lights were out, and other business lights were on); I've noticed I-44 near the fairgrounds completely out, the fairgrounds lights out, NW 10th street lights out (both directions including on/off ramps), the new I-40 many of the lights are off including all the on/off ramps at Agnew, Penn, Western and Shields. When you get off on the Western exit heading into downtown, all the lights on Western until Reno are out. Plenty of lights were out on NW Expressway as well. Just a 15 minute drive from Expressway to DT I probably saw several hundred lights out. Again, this has been on multiple occasions and not just this weekend during storms. To have entire sections of freeway completely dark, especially the "gateway to downtown" is absolutely ridiculous.

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    So over the last 2 months or so, I've noticed a significant increase in number of street lights out across the city. I've never seen a city the size of OKC or bigger that has such an issue with it (we won't talk about the color of lights being random either). Over the last few weeks, including this past weekend (and no, I don't think it was storm related, as random lights were out, and other business lights were on); I've noticed I-44 near the fairgrounds completely out, the fairgrounds lights out, NW 10th street lights out (both directions including on/off ramps), the new I-40 many of the lights are off including all the on/off ramps at Agnew, Penn, Western and Shields. When you get off on the Western exit heading into downtown, all the lights on Western until Reno are out. Plenty of lights were out on NW Expressway as well. Just a 15 minute drive from Expressway to DT I probably saw several hundred lights out. Again, this has been on multiple occasions and not just this weekend during storms. To have entire sections of freeway completely dark, especially the "gateway to downtown" is absolutely ridiculous.
    I'll add to this that I'm sometimes perplexed at how many lights OKC puts up. It must be unreal to try and keep up with.

Default Re: What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

Yes, but the City needs to have a better mechanism other than the "Action" Center for being proactive on keeping lights on major thoroughfares from having large sections going burnt out. That's embarrassing on our city to both residents and outside visitors passing through.

A few years ago, the problem wasn't burnt-out bulbs, but hungry rodents. The underground wiring was sheathed in a lead wrap for waterproofing, and gophers apparently loved the taste of lead. As they gnawed away, they would bite through all the insulation, short out the wiring, and blow fuses. Since the gopher perished before the fuse let go, they never learned not to do this.

Now, of course, the use of lead is a no-no for environmental reasons, but I'm not sure the gophers aren't still working on the wiring. It's a bit suspicious that most of the outages are along highways...

This sounds like something you may want to call ODOT for. I believe a lot of that was turned off during the 40 reconstruction. I've definitely noticed some of the mast lighting off around the 40/44 interchange.

So over the last 2 months or so, I've noticed a significant increase in number of street lights out across the city. I've never seen a city the size of OKC or bigger that has such an issue with it.
    And just how have you been able to track the number of lights out in cities the size or OKC or bigger?

I agree 100% on this. I'm hoping that when they get I-40 100% complete and all of the interchanges done, that this will be solved. The other night, the entire I-35/I-40 J(j as in j but it's a capital J)unction (both of them!!!!!!) was out.

Is it unreasonable to have a light system where if a light goes out, a computer notifies the maintenance repair team and they just go out and fix it? Also, does anyone know what a halogen light cost and an LED light, for the road light of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    And just how have you been able to track the number of lights out in cities the size or OKC or bigger?
    By observation

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    This sounds like something you may want to call ODOT for. I believe a lot of that was turned off during the 40 reconstruction. I've definitely noticed some of the mast lighting off around the 40/44 interchange.
    I've contacted OG&E and ODOT, very rarely does anything get done. Regardless of who's "responsible" this is a large problem with our CITY, and the CITY needs to have better mechanisms in place to prevent this from happening on such large scales across multiple sections of town. It's embarrassing. No wonder why there is gang graffiti on the highways, sure it won't prevent it, but it will deter it more if adequate lighting actually worked half the time.

10. Default Re: What's the City's Problem with keeping up with street light maintenance?

I've contacted OG&E and ODOT, very rarely does anything get done. Regardless of who's "responsible" this is a large problem with our CITY, and the CITY needs to have better mechanisms in place to prevent this from happening on such large scales across multiple sections of town. It's embarrassing. No wonder why there is gang graffiti on the highways, sure it won't prevent it, but it will deter it more if adequate lighting actually worked half the time.
    Shields boulevard between 44th and 74th is sometimes dark for no apparent reason. That area should be lit as bright as possible. I too, am perplexed by random stretches of unlit thoroughfares.

I disagree that OKC is worse in this regard than other cities. Copper thieves are a big deal about everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

Is it unreasonable to have a light system where if a light goes out, a computer notifies the maintenance repair team and they just go out and fix it? Also, does anyone know what a halogen light cost and an LED light, for the road light of course.
    For the first question, I'm sure it is technically possible, but would probably be cost-prohibitive to install. As for halogen or LED lights, neither are used for roadway lighting. Again, cost is a factor as the HID lamps most commonly used give a lot more light output for the current drawn.

Speaking of lights, does anyone know why many of the lights on the bike/walking trails at Lake Hefner haven't been on for a couple of years now? It can get a little spooky in those trees around the south side of the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCyrus View Post
    For the first question, I'm sure it is technically possible, but would probably be cost-prohibitive to install. As for halogen or LED lights, neither are used for roadway lighting. Again, cost is a factor as the HID lamps most commonly used give a lot more light output for the current drawn.
    Ah, I never thought about HID lights. Are those just modified incandescents? They're really nice for cars(as long as your the person driving with them lol). I also heard somewhere that Kilpatrick was getting new LEDS though.

Here you go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...discharge_lamp

I hadn't heard about LEDs on the Kilpatrick. I'd love to see how those work out. Probably would be less expensive over the long run.

I hadn't heard about LEDs on the Kilpatrick. I'd love to see how those work out. Probably would be less expensive over the long run.
    LEDs are in use in Edmond and OKC (tests). OG&E has installed a few test spots in neighborhoods and along SW 15th between Portland & Meridian.

Well, I heard it from just word of mouth and they do look like the they would be LEDs(even though I can't see the actually bulb).

Very cool though!

Norman's Main Street is supposed to be the first major roadway in OK to go all-LED in the near future. This article is a bit dated; I believe what I've heard is that there were some setbacks because the standards for light pollution and such that the city arrived at were so stringent OG&E did not possess any lights/light poles that would meet spec. So there has been some redesign and they're hoping to get things going in the next year or so.

LED lights could line Main Street » Headlines » The Norman Transcript

Just got back from a late night joy ride, I really hope this is solved soon. There were tons of lights out on the new I-40 and almost every highway had stretches of lights that weren't lit. This is crazy and embarrassing.

Yep, all over the city, big swaths of lights out, and this was before all the storms. Embarrassing indeed.

Yep, all over the city, big swaths of lights out, and this was before all the storms. Embarrassing indeed.
    They're saving power don't you know...

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just got back from a late night joy ride, I really hope this is solved soon. There were tons of lights out on the new I-40 and almost every highway had stretches of lights that weren't lit. This is crazy and embarrassing.
    Plupan, you must be independently wealthy if you can afford gas for joy riding. LOL

Plupan, you must be independently wealthy if you can afford gas for joy riding. LOL
    Well, I don't do it that often, maybe once in a blue moon. Plus, this Malibu I have gets pretty good gas mileage, when I keep my foot of the pedal lol

Are they out because of the storms and the fact that power to customers is more important? They got the power back on N. Penn quickly and left the street lights while they went and serviced others without power. It could just be a case of priorities.

I like how you can get a ticket for having 1 brake light out, but the city does hardly anything about replacing street lights (which is far more dangerous).

Thread Information