Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

Thunder Skyrocketing Gas Prices

I am frustrated at the ongoing rise of gas in our town. Just over two weeks ago I filled up (non-ethanol) at 3.299.
    This evening the same station has the same gas at 3.949. That's a 64 cent per gallon increase! That is OUTRAGEOUS!
    Looking at GasBuddy, gas in Los Angeles is what we're paying here. What the heck is going on??

2. Default Re: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

That's why I fired up the Prius this week. Found gas still at $3.55 this morning and a full tank was only $32 and will get me 460+ miles.

Default Re: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

Leave it to a little newspaper in central Minnesota to ask the same question given all the positive circumstances. It's a good question!
    U.S. has glut of oil, but gas prices continue to rise - what gives? | BrainerdDispatch.com | Brainerd, Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Leave it to a little newspaper in central Minnesota to ask the same question given all the positive circumstances. It's a good question!
    U.S. has glut of oil, but gas prices continue to rise - what gives? | BrainerdDispatch.com | Brainerd, Minnesota
    That article was so inaccurate that it could have only been written for the gullible and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    So close to the ignore button. Lately, you've just resorted to nothing but name calling. Go have a beer or something, but it's getting old fast.
    On the ignore button please feel free because that article is for the uneducated or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    sid, obviously ou84A is one of the few educated people who post here (or so they think). LOL

Memorial Day?
    Switch to summer blend?
    Either way 50 cents or more in 2 weeks is rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48a
    On the ignore button please feel free because that article is for the uneducated or worse.
    ok... if it's inaccurate, why not discuss *why* you think it's inaccurate? -M

Number 1 way to not be affected by gasoline prices - don't use it. For example, I don't care what the cost of caviar is.

The author of that story seems to think that from ground to gas pump only one all-powerful company touches the oil when in fact there are lots of handlers and owners along the way. My understanding is that refiners need $4 per gallon to run a profit, but at that price the economy goes in the tank. That is not a good combination.

10. Default Re: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Number 1 way to not be affected by gasoline prices - don't use it. For example, I don't care what the cost of caviar is.

The author of that story seems to think that from ground to gas pump only one all-powerful company touches the oil when in fact there are lots of handlers and owners along the way. My understanding is that refiners need $4 per gallon to run a profit, but at that price the economy goes in the tank. That is not a good combination.
    Not biting on your caviar comparison. None of us needs caviar to function in our daily lives. Can't say the same for gas prices.

Even if you stay home - so many other things in your life are indeed effected by fuel prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    That article was so inaccurate that it could have only been written for the gullible and stupid.
    "Sir, you have no call to get snippy with me . . . I'm just doing my job here."

-Marge Gundersen, Chief of Police, Brainerd, Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by just the facts
    Number 1 way to not be affected by gasoline prices - don't use it.
    that sounds good in theory, but since fuel prices affect the whole supply chain and therefore affect the price of pretty much anything you buy, you're affected whether you personally use or not. -M

Yes, but every gallon of fuel I don't use is one more gallon available for the people that deliver stuff. Plus, the embedded price of fuel in the goods I buy pales (and I mean PALES) in comparison to the price of filling up a gas tank. Besides, most of the 'stuff' getting delivered is powered by diesel fuel anyhow and one CSX freight train can move 2,000 pounds of 'stuff' 450 miles on a single gallon. Step 2 is then rearranging our development patterns to reduce how far local stuff has to move.

I am actually surprised gas in OKC hasn't always cost close to the most in the country given the local populations near 100% dependency on it. If gas went to $10 per gallon today you would have to buy it.

14. Default Re: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I think you just uncovered how to avoid the high cost of clothes, food, education, fuel and housing..... "don't use it."

..... wait.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Not biting on your caviar comparison. None of us needs caviar to function in our daily lives. Can't say the same for gas prices.
    That is what I am saying. Surely you see the danger inherent in that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I think you just uncovered how to avoid the high cost of clothes, food, education, fuel and housing..... "don't use it."

..... wait.
    Well, not to get to far off topic, but those items are dirt cheap and have lots of competition in the market place at all price points. 100 shirts might have 100 different prices - from 10 cents at a yard sale to $500 at Harrods. Gasoline - sold within a few pennies no matter how many outlets there are.

According to gasbuddy.com the OKC average is more than $0.25 above the national average now. Certainly unusual.

HangryHippo Guest

ou48A, are you going to share why you think the article is inaccurate? Why are gas prices rising so quickly?

19. Default Re: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    ou48A, are you going to share why you think the article is inaccurate? Why are gas prices rising so quickly?
    Would love the insight from someone who has been a major defender of anything oil/gas related on this forum.

It is pretty insane on how far off we are from the national average right now. Some stations in Norman are over $4/gal now. I feel like I'm back in Chicago.

I'm generally loathe on conspiracy theories, but I'm having a hard time accepting conventional answers at this point.

I filled up 15 days ago at $3.03. Same station is now $3.89. Normally, big bumps are tied to economic upheaval, warfare, cataclysm, something. But even then we haven't (or at least I don't recall) having seen a 25% jump in so short a time. I've heard about refinery maintenance, blend changes, summer price increases, etc., but nothing explains this size of change.

Part of me wonders if there's something going on in currency markets that is having some obscure but tangible affect on pump prices. It was barely three weeks ago we were hearing about ample supplies and lower consumption. Something doesn't add up.

21. Default Re: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Lower consumption = low oil company profits?

*returns to "reality"*

Seriously though Dave, I agree. Something is odd about this.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    That wasn't an article. It was an editorial.

If you know the answer, ou48A, please share. I'm fully aware that that the price of gas at the pump is not as simple as one evil oil guy with a handlebar mustache pressing a button. But I also am not "gullible and stupid" enough to believe there's no reason for this huge price increase. So, as I said, if you know the answer, please share.

Just in time for my fill up... I am just under 1/4 tank. Wondering if I should fill up today after work or wait it out and see if I can avoid driving this weekend and fill up Monday or Tuesday.

The great wait debate!

C'mon - there have to be enough people on this forum to make all the connections between refiners and consumers, including the commodities guys who are placing bets on higher and lower prices.

At this rate, we will probably see $4/gal. this weekend. My local 7-11 (the cheapest in my area) is already $3.89. It was $3.27 last week. The big question is ... what is the breaking point for most people on fixed budgets? $4.00 would be hard to deal with. Already cut my Cox bill by eliminating TV. No more Netflix. Tightening the belt and eating out less. All these things I'm doing to save myself money is hurting the economy. I'm spending less to budget for gasoline.

... and then there's the trucking issue, when gas goes up the prices at the store goes up.

If we reach $5/gal by this summer ... I'll have to cut back even more.

Thread Information