Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

Default Re: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

Anybody else notice that traffic isn't any lighter despite the higher gas costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post
    Anybody else notice that traffic isn't any lighter despite the higher gas costs?
    Hadn't noticed. After a there and back again run to Mobile for elder son's graduation late last week and weekend, I haven't had much interest in being in a car this week (pricing changes arose after I got back and enjoyed hermit status.)

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    If we are paying global prices in a global economy why shouldn’t they be allowed to export their products?
    They should be able to. I just prefer that we work to make the product obsolete. I agree that we will never have an alternative fuels economy. We either live with oil, and all the pros and cons that come with it, or we rescale our built environment to humans, and not machines with humans in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    They should be able to. I just prefer that we work to make the product obsolete. I agree that we will never have an alternative fuels economy. We either live with oil, and all the pros and cons that come with it, or we rescale our built environment to humans, and not machines with humans in them.
    Music by which to meditate
    on Skyrocketing Gas Prices
    While awaiting with wonder
    approaching Tornadoes . . .

did I say "tornadoes"? i meant Toronados. sorry . . .

current prices are a problem due to a refinery that is having trouble... we are almost as high as CA:

Nm

7. Default Re: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

If we are paying global prices in a global economy why shouldn’t they be allowed to export their products?
    So then isn't "energy independence" nothing but a load of horse crap? I mean if we are going to forever linked to the global economy, then the actions of others countries will also impact our gas/oil needs and prices. If we were truly trying to get energy independent wouldn't that entail dumping oil and gas as the primary fuel for our economy?

Energy independence is a marketing slogan created by the o&g industry PR and marketing departments. It serves two main purposes. It is an emotional appeal to people's patriotism and plays on their fears of oil client states in the mid-east. And it is designed to reinforce complacency among would be activists and critics who would be in favor of aggressive public investment in renewable energies if they knew the truth.

Gas prices are very market specific, much of the time it is dependent upon how many distributors there are in a specific market. Gas in Austin was almost always 7-10 cents more expensive than in the San Antonio area. The prices here in Denver were between 3.35-2.45 just two weeks ago and now around 3.75 that last time that I got gas last week. When you get out in the smaller towns of the Central Texas Hill Country or the mountains here it can be from 15-40 cents higher than in the cities like Austin or Denver.

4.30-4.40 here in Minneapolis. Brutal.

Can sit and piss and moan about it - or just go on with life. I pick the second

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
    4.30-4.40 here in Minneapolis. Brutal.

Can sit and piss and moan about it - or just go on with life. I pick the second
    Just seems kinda fishy that everytime a holiday come up gas prices go up and everytime a prez election rolls around gas prices go down.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Just seems kinda fishy that everytime a holiday come up gas prices go up and everytime a prez election rolls around gas prices go down.
    Tell that to the locals who were so PO'd about Lake Hefner being closed--after being filled for a movie shoot--that they made up their minds to drive to Canton Lake to fish in honor of Memorial Independence Day.

13. Default Re: Skyrocketing Gas Prices

The B.S. this time is that several local refineries are having issues at the same time, reducing the inventory to days instead of the normal 22 or something. So supply/demand on that one. But don't we think we should come up with a way to keep multiple refineries from being down at the same time? That's the same crap that caused the first spike several years ago. More than one was allowed offline for more than a year. There should be some coordination between them to keep the market from taking such a hit.

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I paid over $4.00 per gallon for gasoline.
    How long will we be plagued by the legacy of George W. Bush?! (j/k)

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    The B.S. this time is that several local refineries are having issues at the same time, reducing the inventory to days instead of the normal 22 or something. So supply/demand on that one. But don't we think we should come up with a way to keep multiple refineries from being down at the same time? That's the same crap that caused the first spike several years ago. More than one was allowed offline for more than a year. There should be some coordination between them to keep the market from taking such a hit.
    When you have a government that lets the nation be so impacted by environmental activists that a new refinery hasn’t been built in about 35 years you’re going to have bigger imbalances in the system, less margin for supply disruptions and less competition.
    That’s just basic common sense.

But fuel usage peaked in 2005 and has been going down every sense. Are we exporting gasoline?

On edit, I checked and yes we are exporting a record amount of gasoline, so won't extra refining capacity just be exported?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    But fuel usage peaked in 2005 and has been going down every sense. Are we exporting gasoline?

On edit, I checked and yes we are exporting a record amount of gasoline, so won't extra refining capacity just be exported?
    Where are the refineries located that export most of the refined products?

Because there is very limited shipping capacity they can only ship limited gasoline supplies into the areas where the current refinery outage are and much of what gets shipped is shipped by slow barges up the Mississippi river…..

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I paid over $4.00 per gallon for gasoline.
    As opposed to the legacy of obama ...Your joking, ..... Right?

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    As opposed to the legacy of obama ...Your joking, ..... Right?
    Yes. I thought that j/k was CyberEsperanto for "just kidding" . . .
    Speaking of refineries . . . Oklahoma used to have refineries at Wynnewood, Cyril, Ardmore and Cushing.
    Maybe others too. Perhaps Ponca City. But they were pretty old even thirty years ago and may not have refined gasoline.
    (i hauled oil for asphalt paving mix from three of the five mentioned)

Oklahoma has five operating petroleum refineries with a combined daily capacity of more than 500,000 barrels per day, about 3 percent of the total U.S. operating capacity.

• ConocoPhillips Co., Ponca City: 198,400 barrels per day

• Holly Refining and Marketing Co., Tulsa (East): 70,300 barrels per day

• Holly Refining and Marketing Co., Tulsa (West): 85,000 barrels per day

• Valero Refining Co. Oklahoma, Ardmore: 85,000 barrels per day

• Wynnewood Refining Co., Wynnewood: 70,000 barrels per day

Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration

It must be Bush's fault !!!

Oklahoma has five operating petroleum refineries with a combined daily capacity of more than 500,000 barrels per day, about 3 percent of the total U.S. operating capacity.

• ConocoPhillips Co., Ponca City: 198,400 barrels per day

• Holly Refining and Marketing Co., Tulsa (East): 70,300 barrels per day

• Holly Refining and Marketing Co., Tulsa (West): 85,000 barrels per day

• Valero Refining Co. Oklahoma, Ardmore: 85,000 barrels per day

• Wynnewood Refining Co., Wynnewood: 70,000 barrels per day

Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration
    Great information. Two questions:
    Q1: Are these refineries producing gasoline for local consumption in Oklahoma?
    Q2: What is their current production as a percentage of either recent production or total capacity?

Yes. I thought that j/k was CyberEsperanto for "just kidding" . . .
    Speaking of refineries . . . Oklahoma used to have refineries at Wynnewood, Cyril, Ardmore and Cushing.
    Maybe others too. Perhaps Ponca City. But they were pretty old even thirty years ago and may not have refined gasoline.
    (i hauled oil for asphalt paving mix from three of the five mentioned)

Yeah,... I don't spend enough time in cyber world to know all of the langueese, or textspeak as it were ...... Carry on.

Also a refinery in Thomas -

Ventura Refining and Transmission, Ventura R. & T. Thomas 14,000 bbl/d (2,200 m3/d)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Also a refinery in Thomas -

Ventura Refining and Transmission, Ventura R. & T. Thomas 14,000 bbl/d (2,200 m3/d)
    You’re correct, I forgot about that one…..and I have driven by it many times too!

Thread Information